Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 RX7 -> LS1/4L60e swap *Big Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aram
Why don't you just put in a new rear main seal and call it a day? It's not a hard job with the trans out of the car, and the part isn't very expensive.
The engine took a good hit to the front that makes me paranoid about a bearing being knocked from it's seat. I want to do a cam/heads while I'm at it, which necessitates most of the gaskets, and I'm doing the bearings as a precaution, because I'd hate to redo all of this and spin a bearing because it was unseated, and then have to tear it all back down. Just consider it my own paranoia.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be the rear crank plug. If it got hit hard it may have been knocked loose
Old 06-04-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
It may be the rear crank plug. If it got hit hard it may have been knocked loose
Crank plug? Is that what it sounds like, a physical plug IN the end of the crank? I'll check it out when the car is apart. It looked like it was coming from the main from under the car though, wouldn't the plug put the leak from the flywheel area (this leak is right at the rear main cap)?
Old 06-05-2005, 06:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the rear main was leaking on my new stroker but when I pulled it apart the plug was leaking. Yes the plug is behind where a pilot bearing would go on a 6 speed. If it was the rear main seal it would also leak from the bellhousing area.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good. I really want to tackle a project like that but I cant do wiring harness worth a damn. And forget AC, here in missouri it gets hot as hell in the summer, just dont ever get caught in traffic and youll be fine. _gary
Old 06-06-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gb0dy
looking good. I really want to tackle a project like that but I cant do wiring harness worth a damn. And forget AC, here in missouri it gets hot as hell in the summer, just dont ever get caught in traffic and youll be fine. _gary
The harness isn't hard. I've done the wiring to get one running in less then 30 minutes before. A full on setup with eliminated wires and PCM control of the fuel pump and fans takes maybe 6 hours if your **** retentive about it.

I know allll about Missouri, just there last weekend for the AMA/Prostar races. We had a hell of a time getting the bike to hook up in the heat. Gotta love 95*+ in early June. OUCH!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some more progress, engine is rebuilt and reinstalled, wiring hooked back up, I'll have the manifolds and cat pipes back in tomorrow, as well as the tranny x-member and the shift linkage. Hopefully the intake finished as well.

Body work is still in progress, but I want to get the motor running and assure that my rebuild is good before I worry too much about that.

And this is why it's bad for me to wait on stuff...

This will be a 100 wet shot, coldfusion brand setup. Zoom zoom zoom....
Old 07-06-2005, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Very Cool!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

A few more...

Old 07-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Nice work! Where did you get the air intake and filter from? I'm also doing a RX7 conversion. RX7 motor is out and LS1 is sitting next to the car...just waiting for my Hinson parts to arrive!

Last edited by chucklaw; 07-07-2005 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good Chuck!

I got the elbow and rubber "hump" adapter on ebay. I believe the user was "air_intakes" or somesuch. If you search for 4" elbow it'll come right up. Air filter was another ebay special. It was like 28 shipped, new in box. 3.5" inlet, 12" long. Way overkill, but it looks neat.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would put some heat shield around that PCM. Those things were not built for underhood heat. Maybe a custom Alum panel with heat tape insulation on one side, a little fan blowing on it is a good idea.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I would put some heat shield around that PCM. Those things were not built for underhood heat. Maybe a custom Alum panel with heat tape insulation on one side, a little fan blowing on it is a good idea.
...it was mounted in the same place in the Z28 it came out of? Had a small piece of plastic around it. I've run my GTP which has a LOT higher underhood temps with a similiarly exposed PCM for ~45000 miles. No problems. It's hard to see the angle in the pictures, but it is a solid 20"+ from the exhaust/block. Besides, if it goes, it's an excuse to adjust for a 99+ PCM.

I did get the car going last night. I'm still having a small oil leak, I think I may have rolled the edge of the rear main seal when I installed the new one. Only takes 10-15 minutes to get the engine out, I may pay for the stupid tool from GM, as I'm going to be annoyed if I have to pull it out again. Good news is I have oil pressure, and no bearing noise, so apparently I'm able enough to rebuild an LS1 (except for the rear main seal, that's proof I've taken enough head trauma to effect my intelligence).

I'll have it on the road this weekend for a test run.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol crazy *** car
Old 07-10-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, update.

I had rolled the seal when I put it in last. I yanked the engine again (I'm becoming exceedingly good at that) and reinstalled a new, new rear main seal, this time being VERY careful and slow and used my fingers to slip the front edge over, so as not to roll it. Went right on. I should have the engien back in in a couple of hours, and hopefully I can take it around the block today... hopefully!
Old 07-10-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

are you goin to have video's that capture the RX-7/8 ( i dont knwo what you'd call this breed)
Old 07-10-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I got my new rear main seal in. I'm still just slightly dripping, but I had an oil pan bolt damaged (hoist rolled over it, doh!) so it's not in, at the rear cover/oilpan junction. I think a new one of those snugged up will solve the problem totally.

On to better news... I was on a tear today, so once I got the engine in, harness plugged in, and tranny lines back on, I went ahead and fabbed AIR/EGR blockoffs, finished the intake up, mounted the IAT sensor, and installed the driveshaft and shift linkage...

Then... TOOK IT AROUND THE BLOCK!!!!!!!!!

It was the most wonderful feeling to actually DRIVE the car again. It's been sitting in some form of disassembly since the rotary went south about 18 months ago, so it's refreshing to move the car under it's own power again. It still needs a lot done (coolant system needs tidied up and filled/bled, exhaust needs completed, small amount of wiring and my guages are still incomplete, and some body work) but overall it's 95% there. It's great to know that I can go fire it up and move it any time if I need to. :yup:

I'm pretty hyped up right now. All of this time, money, blood, sweat and tears are finally looking to start paying off.

I will get some good digital video once I get it finished up more. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I don't like showing half-finished stuff off, so once the body work is done, and I get the cooling system and exhaust on it, I'll shoot some video footage.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

congrades man, when you gonna have a pic of you doin a burn out? good luck with the rest of the 5% of the car that needs tiedying up!!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

ive seen this car run around the block. it will be lucky to run mid 12's. just kidding. it
looks/sounds tough.
justin
Old 07-11-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002z28
ive seen this car run around the block. it will be lucky to run mid 12's. just kidding. it
looks/sounds tough.
justin
We'll line up the Z28 when I get it done.

I picked up the rest of the stuff for the cooling system today, so hopefully I'll get that installed and get the system bled tonight... forewarning, more loud open header noise again tonight. Just give me a shout if I'm on your nerves too bad.

Quick Reply: 1986 RX7 -> LS1/4L60e swap *Big Pics*