Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98-02 F-body LS1 fan/shroud dimensions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005 | 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Question '98-02 F-body LS1 fan/shroud dimensions?

Can anyone tell me the dimensions on the '98-02 F-body fan shroud with electric fans? I need cooling for the LS1 going into my '64 Chevy C-10 and have thought it might be nice (and economical) to adapt these fans for a direct plug-n-play with the factory harness, etc. rather than having to go to the aftermarket. A picture of the Be Cool radiator I'll be using, along with its dimensions, should be attached to this message.

THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails '98-02 F-body LS1 fan/shroud dimensions?-becool_rad_dimensions.jpg  
Old 04-25-2005 | 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Question Fan & Shroud Demensions...

I could use those demensions as well...need to match them up to the radiator I have. Thanks in advance. Gar
Old 04-25-2005 | 11:39 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

how bout tomorrow after 5? unless someone can measure them quicker.
ill get back with ya on that one.
Old 04-26-2005 | 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Works for me -- thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2005 | 03:08 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

shroud to shroud is 26x18.5
shroud to tip of fan motor is 4.625 inches.
this does not include the mounting tabs that slide in the factory ls1 radiator. most people ive seen cut those off if it catches on the tank.
LMK if i can help further.
Old 04-26-2005 | 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks a TON for those measurements. Now let me ask you this: looking at my radiator and the measurements above, and given the layout of the LS1 shroud, is there any reason I couldn't use a hole saw to open up the shroud for the inlet, outlet, and petcock and use the LS 1 shroud? (The tranny cooler ports will be plugged.) It appears that the fans are laid out perfectly for this application, but I don't want to spend the money and find out there's a hidden "gotcha" that would make this impossible.

And question #2: are all of the electric fans the same for '98-02 regardless of engine or were there specific fans for the Z28 and/or SS? Looking around on eBay I found a couple that were listed for the V6, but at a glance it looks the same as the LS1 fans.
Old 04-26-2005 | 06:34 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brossow
Thanks a TON for those measurements. Now let me ask you this: looking at my radiator and the measurements above, and given the layout of the LS1 shroud, is there any reason I couldn't use a hole saw to open up the shroud for the inlet, outlet, and petcock and use the LS 1 shroud? (The tranny cooler ports will be plugged.) It appears that the fans are laid out perfectly for this application, but I don't want to spend the money and find out there's a hidden "gotcha" that would make this impossible.

And question #2: are all of the electric fans the same for '98-02 regardless of engine or were there specific fans for the Z28 and/or SS? Looking around on eBay I found a couple that were listed for the V6, but at a glance it looks the same as the LS1 fans.
some v6 cars had a single fan. be careful. dual fans are dual fans, regardless of year.
93-97 fans will work the same as well. same measurements, too. the 98-02 fan shroud is a LOT better looking, IMO.

i dont see any problems with them working. if you got a dremel, you can do anything. some of the fan might hang out over the core, but these fans carry plenty of air. i dont see a lil bit of the fan hanging over causing your motor to overheat.i have a set on my full size truck, and hold them in with transmission cooler zip ties. works like a champ. just drill some holes in the shroud at various points and go at it. i think i have a total of 8 holding my fans on. (2 packs, hehe)
3 years now and zero problems. offroad, abuse, etc....
good luck.
LMK if i can help.
Old 04-26-2005 | 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Again, thanks for all the information. I don't think the fans will hang over at all, based on what you've said. The side tanks are pretty narrow, as you can see in the picture. The entire assembly is 25.75" wide and the core itself is 22.25", so the combined width of the tanks is 3.5", or 1.75" on each side. If I read your measurements correctly, there won't be any overhang whasoever.

Now I just need to turn up a set at a decent price.... :-)
Old 04-26-2005 | 07:05 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

tennessee auto parts is a sponser here. ive got a set threw them for 125 shipped. thats not bad. usually see them go on ebay for a lil more, THEN shipping.
money, money.
Old 04-26-2005 | 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

I just sent an email to the place that sold me my LS1 -- gotta see what kind of a deal they'll make me. They kinda owe me one because of some problems with the shipping, so I hope they'll give me a decent price. We'll see....
Old 04-27-2005 | 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

Well, got my deal on fans thanks to this site. I'm pretty happy about that! Was just messing around in Photoshop and roughed out what it'll look like installed. I didn't have good pictures of the fans to work with, so I had to fudge some stuff with eBay pics. Here's what I came up with (see attached.)

Anyone know if the fan connector is part of the engine wiring harness? I've got the complete harness from the '99 Z28 that gave its life for this project, but it's literally buried under other parts and I can't get at the harness without major physical labor or I'd check for myself. Well, that and I don't know what the connector looks like. Fans from a 2000 should plug right into a '99 harness, right?

Any thoughts on this part of the project? Am I making a mistake?

Thanks again for all the help!

Brent
Attached Thumbnails '98-02 F-body LS1 fan/shroud dimensions?-becool-fan.jpg  
Old 04-27-2005 | 07:09 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

99% of GMs use the same fan connector. year by year they may look different, but plug in the same.

sweet!
Old 04-28-2005 | 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Do you know if the fan connector is part of the engine harness? (Can't get at mine to check without major effort.)
Old 04-28-2005 | 11:34 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brossow
Do you know if the fan connector is part of the engine harness? (Can't get at mine to check without major effort.)
not 100% on this, but the ecm has function on fan controls.
im not much help.

Quick Reply: '98-02 F-body LS1 fan/shroud dimensions?