Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxygen sensor wiring qurestion:

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oxygen sensor wiring qurestion:

The leads from my O2 sensors are way too long and I'd like to shorten them. I thought I remembered reading about either O2 or MAF wiring being sensitive to tampering. Any reason not to? I would splice, solder, heat shrink and loom them...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's ok to modify the harness side of the O2 sensor wiring (if done properly like you describe above), but you're not supposed to modify the actual sensor wiring without the proper crimp tools.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 05-10-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Speartech
It's ok to modify the harness side of the O2 sensor wiring (if done properly like you describe above), but you're not supposed to modify the actual sensor wiring without the proper crimp tools.
That's the side I need to shorten! What's better about a crimp over soldering?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the use of crimp terminals such as butt connectors can change the resistence of the signal and hamper the readings. this doesn't matter for the MAF because it's a frequency signal but it DOES matter on the 02 singal wires. Soldering with wire to wire contact is the best way to solve this. Just make sure that you use plenty of heat sheilding to prevent the solder from melting from the exhaust temps.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Launching!

I had to lengthen mine and just used a couple of gm packard weatherpacks and crimped the wires and snapped them in. Works good, no problems as of yet and its been 6 months.

Remington
Old 05-10-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
That's the side I need to shorten! What's better about a crimp over soldering?
nothing.

see, the problem is, the O2 sensors give out readings in millivolts... a very small amount of power.

any resistance in the line (from a improperly made crimp, joint, splice, ect) will throw that reading off.

if you do solder them, use a good silver solder... assuming you know how to solder a wire and dont make a cold joint, you're fine.

the big myth and worry surrounding them stems from the fact that alot of the people messing with the wiring dont know what they're doing. sure they're wiring technique works fine for wiring up lights and radios... but on something where a little resistance is a big deal... well they get mystery problems.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Teching In

I have cut the sensor side of the o2 before and put new connectors on them without a problem. now if you don't have cable seals, terms, and connectors. you have to make a real good solder joint.the white wires can be flip floped and the other two color coded

Quick Reply: Oxygen sensor wiring qurestion: