Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"World's Quickest Mini" is coming together (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's awsome man keep us up to date with the progress
Old 05-16-2005, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 05-16-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spdmini
I too have a 66 mini(albeit not as fast...yet).. omg.. that rules. i would love to see the van in person. congrats sir. you have a totally sweet ride.

Btw, what kind of rear end are you running and how much did you have to narrow it? i have a project of my own in the works...

It's a ford 9" with Strange guts. I don't remember how much it had to be narrowed- but it wouldn't apply to you anyway since my car has one- off flares, wheels and brakes (rear discs are actually buick fllywheels machined down).
Old 05-16-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nefarious77
woah! My wife asked me if it was possible to drop an LS block in a mini and I always told her no way, it's too big. I want to see the finished pics when done. It looks like your going to have a pretty tall tunnel down the middle.
The LS1 wouldn't work in a standard mini- you'd have to do a van or pickup bodystyle. The length of the trans and engine would be too much for a standard coupe- my driveshaft will only be about 18" long even with the van. Plus, I'm sitting just in front of the rear wheels so I can still fit with the firewall so far back.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:21 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

I bet that sucker will handle decently for the weight distribution, engine almost smack dab in the middle of the chassis. Great project as it's kinda like Gale Banks stuffing a Cummins in a Dakota extended cab. BTW, definately take that sucker out and find some honda's. "Yeah, it's a stock classic."
Old 05-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Wow ! I jokingly took a picture of my Mini with an LS1 setting on the floor.
Looked so impossible to do, assumed nobody would even consider it.

Looking at my picture, it STILL looks impossible
Attached Thumbnails "World's Quickest Mini" is coming together (pics)-im000340.jpg  
Old 05-16-2005, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Good Job
Old 05-17-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk about the perfect sleeper!! Very cool
Old 05-17-2005, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

Cool Roadrunner 45....

I got 3 words for your mini....Totally BAD A$$!!!!
Talk about the ultimate rice killer. Please post with ur progress, and good luck! I wish I lived closer to you, I would love to see this amazing mini.
Nuttin' but props!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Teching In

WOW!!! You can definately go for the title of the fastest all around Mini in North America...if you want to try... At Mini Meet East 2006 in the Washington DC area around the 4th of July, there will be a side event of North America's Fastest All Around Mini. It will be a combination of autocross and drag times. Granted yours is more staight line, but it could/should be fast enough to make up for slower autocross times. We're trying to get the word out to see what crazy Mini's are out there!

I'm building a Mk1 Mini saloon with a Nissan VG30 (300ZX, V6 3.0) engine with complete 240SX rear suspension (minus 12" of the width). I call it the Minissan ZSX6. I'm shooting for about 350hp at 1,500lbs., but it will handle great. Another contender is a rear engine Hyabusa Mini. It should be a blast and a great time to see some fast and creative Minis! If you might be interested, go to our club site www.classicminis.org and join the club (free) so I have your information and I'll keep you posted on the event.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing it in person!

Mike Guido
Old 05-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Teching In

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...547150654&rd=1

man, id like to have that, trying to get ahold of him now, anyone seen this car before? know anything about it? another guy in pittsburg is trying to sell this same car unfinished with a 350 in it with a homebrew flame job on it for 6k
Old 05-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Teching In

This rules Dude and makes the engine in my 67 Austin Mini Moke look like a lawnmower engine

Old 05-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Teching In

So you're saying that's not a lawnmower engine? If the paint was a little darker yellow I would have thought that was a John Deer mower. See ya at MME?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Teching In

"See ya at MME?"

Nope. do you have a BFH waiting with my name on it? -lol.

But I will be at MMW and MiniMania open house.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

This isn't that much different than my race car. Just bought FrankenMini about 4 weeks ago. Original owner and builder got sick shortly after it was completed so it sat in his garage for the last 2 years. Mechanically it needs more or less just maintenance and a little TLC. The body needs some work, paint etc. The car is going to be used for autocross and solo1 competition. Here are some pics and specs:

Chasis: Fully Tube frame
Body: 1967 Mini Countryman (Estate)
Engine: Ford 2300cc 140hp
Weight: 1400lbs (10:1 hp-weight ratio)
Suspension: Custom designed coilover with rear panhard bar
Brakes: Willwood Dynalite at all 4 corners, dual master cylinders

The engine sits behind the front wheels and the driver sits mid-car for what I suspect will be a virtually ideal 50:50 weight distribution. The track is WAY wider than a normal classic Mini as you can see in the pictures below. Should be good for 1/4 mile in 12.x seconds - 0-60 in somewhere around 5 seconds but it will totally KILL in the corners, that's where it will shine. I'm not much of a stright line guy, the corners are what seperate the men from the boys.

Cheers.

Paul
--
Visit my FrankenMini Blog
http://www.spider.org/

Here are some pics:

Old 05-19-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Neat. Yep they're similar- I was actually considering a 2.3L turbo out of an SVO stang but decided for the LS1- same weight, but with a cam only I'll be at around a 4.0 Weight to hp ratio. Hope to see you at some open track days too- The chassis & suspension for mine was originally built for road racing- Coil overs all the way around, adjustable rod ends on lower front A arms, and all rear suspension (watts linkage in the back). Looks like you have about the same track width on yours too. I want to knock down a low 10 or high 9 at the srtip and be able to go to Road America and run after changing around some suspension parts.

Originally Posted by paulmon
This isn't that much different than my race car. Just bought FrankenMini about 4 weeks ago. Original owner and builder got sick shortly after it was completed so it sat in his garage for the last 2 years. Mechanically it needs more or less just maintenance and a little TLC. The body needs some work, paint etc. The car is going to be used for autocross and solo1 competition. Here are some pics and specs:

Chasis: Fully Tube frame
Body: 1967 Mini Countryman (Estate)
Engine: Ford 2300cc 140hp
Weight: 1400lbs (10:1 hp-weight ratio)
Suspension: Custom designed coilover with rear panhard bar
Brakes: Willwood Dynalite at all 4 corners, dual master cylinders

The engine sits behind the front wheels and the driver sits mid-car for what I suspect will be a virtually ideal 50:50 weight distribution. The track is WAY wider than a normal classic Mini as you can see in the pictures below. Should be good for 1/4 mile in 12.x seconds - 0-60 in somewhere around 5 seconds but it will totally KILL in the corners, that's where it will shine. I'm not much of a stright line guy, the corners are what seperate the men from the boys.

Cheers.

Paul
--
Visit my FrankenMini Blog
http://www.spider.org/

Here are some pics:

Old 05-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Roadrunner 45
Neat. Yep they're similar- I was actually considering a 2.3L turbo out of an SVO stang but decided for the LS1- same weight, but with a cam only I'll be at around a 4.0 Weight to hp ratio. Hope to see you at some open track days too- The chassis & suspension for mine was originally built for road racing- Coil overs all the way around, adjustable rod ends on lower front A arms, and all rear suspension (watts linkage in the back). Looks like you have about the same track width on yours too. I want to knock down a low 10 or high 9 at the srtip and be able to go to Road America and run after changing around some suspension parts.
4:1 - WOW! If I feel the need for speed on this I'll add the Turbo but a 10:1 is still plenty to get myself into trouble.

Your body looks AMAZING. I've got to get mine cleaned up. Driver's side door is sagging a little, rear doors needs to have the latch relocated to have them close tighter. Also need to rework the dash a little and cleanup the inside. The body is also missing wipers and side wondows, the doors are missing the seals.

I'm thinking of replacing the entire rear side glass with a large piece of Lexan. More room for sponsor logos.

Paul
Old 05-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Teching In

dude wants 20k for the 454
Old 05-19-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrunner 45
Cool, any pics?? What does the car turn in the 1/4? I assume it's FWD. I'm gonna stab a big old cam in it- so I figure I can get around 410-430 Flywheel HP. At 1700 lbs that should put me well into the 9's at about 140 MPH if I can get her to hook.
That thing is sick. I would like to throw my engine in there (430+rwhp) to see what it would do.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Default MiniWorld magazine

Congrats on an interesting Mini.
I'm the North American correspondent for the British MiniWorld magazine, and I think they'd be up for a feature when you've got it finished. If you'd like to keep in touch with progress I'm on ayre@dccnet.com

Cheers, Ayrspeed

Quick Reply: "World's Quickest Mini" is coming together (pics)