Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Engine Swap -> Body Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 03:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Engine Swap -> Body Swap

Just thought I’d introduce myself/project here since it definitely falls under the Hybrid/Conversion category. My current project, a 1961 Chevy Stepside ½ ton which I had been focusing mostly on custom body work, took a turn into LS1 land when I bought a 1999 6sp Vette rolling chassis (another eBay purchase). You can see the nearly current state of the project here -> Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profi...rofileid=34739 (not really into the tuner scene but the site has a great vehicle/project database)

I’ve seen LS1 swaps into anything and everything, but never a full C5 frame, suspension, eng, trans, brakes, fuel tanks, etc under a classic truck. Please chime in if you have. I’d love to see one. The closest thing to it I’ve seen is Jay Leno’s ‘66 Toronado. One of the best things about it is that it will register as a 1961 P/U!!! No emissions (Oregon is almost as bad as California).

I look forward to tapping your wealth of knowledge and sharing any I may. I'll post more current pics here soon if anyone is interested.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:46 AM
On The Tree

Better pics -> http://www.streetsourcemag.com/viewo...rofileid=34738
Old 05-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Teching In

All i can say is wow. That is freakin nuts!

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
Old 05-20-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Looks pretty cool man....

I'd love to have a wealth of knowledge (or anything else besides bills & projects) but don't have anything useful to contribute.

But Kudos to you for taking this on. Ought to be a sweeeeeet ride when you're done.

'Dreamin'
Old 05-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Too cool. Did the wheel base fit without mods?
Old 05-20-2005, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Glad I'm not the only one siked about this. In the process of relocating the rear suspension rearward by 7" now. The vette is 104.5" and the truck was 114". So mine will 2.5" shorter than stock by design. I do a lot of conceptual drawings (mod'ing pics on the PC) before I make apperance changes and the slightly shorter wheelbase works well with the rest of the custom body work I have/will do.

The upper arm mounts are already moved back. The integrated tranny/lower arm mount will be moved equally south and I will either lengthen the torque-tube or extend the tranny via spacer/coupler forward of the getrag. I'll post pics this weekend. Thanks for your interest!
Old 05-21-2005, 09:25 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

That is neat! I really like the stance.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

There are some downright AMAZING projects on this forum. Thanks for the kind words. I'm engineering as I go. I've created a photobucket account and the link is now in my sig...

Quick Reply: Not Engine Swap -> Body Swap