Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 dimensions

The search feature doesn't seem to be working, so i'll go ahead and post the question..

Does anyone have the external dimensions for the LS1 engine? I'm looking to do a swap thatis suposed to use a Ford 302, but I'd rather use an LS1. If someone can tell me how the two engines comare size wise, it'll be greatly appreciated!!

-Chuck
chukjafr@hotmail.com
Old 05-21-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I measured the complete F body engine sitting on my garage floor. These are close approximates: 24 inches wide at the widest points those are the exhaust manifolds and the alternator and A/C unit. 22 inces tall and 27 1/2 inches long from the nub on the water pump pully to the back edge of the block where it bolts to the transmission.

hope that helps
Pat
Old 05-21-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

What kind of car are you thinking about putting the engine in?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Cool, thanks for the dimensions. I'm hopeing to fit into a Ford Focus using the Krugal (sp?) Komponent kit and Cobra motor mounts. I think it'll work. If ayone has more info comapring the LS1 to a 302, it'll be greatly appreciated!

-Chuck
'03 DSG Lightning (should be traded in today!)
Old 05-23-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer Tech
The search feature doesn't seem to be working, so i'll go ahead and post the question..

Does anyone have the external dimensions for the LS1 engine? I'm looking to do a swap thatis suposed to use a Ford 302, but I'd rather use an LS1. If someone can tell me how the two engines comare size wise, it'll be greatly appreciated!!

-Chuck
chukjafr@hotmail.com
Chuck,

I made up a table from some measurements I took of the SBF, SBC, LS1, and Gen III truck motors (though not complete, they are similar to the LS1). If anyone can fill in the missing dimensions (or corrections), I only ask that you post them. Hope this helps.

Andy1
Attached Files
File Type: doc
SBC vs. SBF 8.11.03.doc (25.0 KB, 221 views)
Old 05-23-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

How the LS1 compares to other popular motors is another chunk of info that we should have in a good conversion / hybrid FAQ.

And since this is an LS1 site, we probably ought to have some more LSx type info posted.

Such as:
1.) There are at least 3 different accessory drive systems. Corvette is shortest, then Camaro / Firebird, then Truck is the longest. We should know how long the thing is with each of those in place (and the corresponding balancer).
2.) There are a couple of waterpumps: LS1, Truck, LS2. How long are they? I don't know, but I'd love to.
3.) Somebody was working on pan dimensions, but I don't know if all the info got together and stickied.

I can provide some small block chevy data, but am no help as to LSx's as yet. Haven't got started with my project.

'Dreamin'
Old 05-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Excellent,Thanks Andy1. just puchased a Sierra with the 4.8L, so that'll help me spec out the sizes as well. The other two hurdles are the accessory drive and oil pan. Dreamin' brought up some good points on the accessories. If my project goes right, I'll bescrapping the power steering and a/c system. All that'll be left is the water pump and alternator. As for the oil pan, I'm going to need a front sump pan. I believe the GTO as well as the 2wd V8 trailblazer are front sump, so i'll have a few options there. I'll go through the chart and see what I can help with. Thanks again for the info and help!

-Chuck
'03 DSG Lightning *sold*
'05 SIerra WT 4.8L
Old 05-25-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bimmer Tech
Cool, thanks for the dimensions. I'm hopeing to fit into a Ford Focus using the Krugal (sp?) Komponent kit and Cobra motor mounts. I think it'll work.
yeah I would bet youre ok, someone posted on the similarity between some 302 mounts or a cobra subframe for a mustang swap, I dunno if any of that might help you out on the focus swap... but very cool project, I wanna see some pics because that would be a great daily driver.... I could enjoy my LS1RX7 in the summer and an LS1Focus in the winter, lol !
Old 05-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Launching!

I don't think a RWD focus w/ a V8 would make a good winter driver, but to each their own! I think the hardest part would be the accessories on the Focus...I was thinking of ditching the a/c and power steering, but I live in Florida. A/C is hard to live without. The power steering pump and lines shouldn't be too difficult to fab up, so i'm still on the fence with it.
Kinda off topic, but does anyone know if the tall truck intakes flow better than the LS1 intakes? Other people are using 351W engine with a carb in the Focus, so it lloks like I have a good amount of room above the engine...makes for options on intake manifolds.

-Chuck
Old 05-25-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Chuck,

According to the guys over at the truck section, the general concensus seems to be that the truck intake flows slightly better than the early LS1. When they went to the LS6 intake ('03?), those intakes flow only slightly better. Basically, if you have a truck motor, the LS1 intake swap is a waste of time. BTW, the truck intake is 3" taller than the LSx. If you have room for the deeper pan and taller intake, why not do a 4.8/5.3 or 6.0 swap? Truck motor is only 63 lbs. heavier, but can be bought very cheap. Low mileage 5.3's are $1K to $1.5K all day long, and you can adapt the TBW and have cruise control to boot! FWIW.

Andy1
Old 05-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Andy1, are you certain on the weight difference? I've been considering an aluminum block because of the weight savings but 63# is not that bad for a daily driver.

Thanks (sorry for going off topic)
Old 05-26-2005, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Lightbulb Bimmer Tech

This would be a most execllent idea. A Focus with a mild 5.0 is pretty wild, so a LS1 Focus would be most outrageous. Please post any pics if you proceed with this project. Good Luck!
Old 05-26-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Malobu
Andy1, are you certain on the weight difference? I've been considering an aluminum block because of the weight savings but 63# is not that bad for a daily driver.

Thanks (sorry for going off topic)
Well, only as certain as what I read. Seems it was a magazine article somewhere, if I recall correctly. Yeah, I too was surprised at the small difference. If you look at the two blocks, you will see how much more mass and ribbing is in the aluminum block to get the required strength. Performance engine builders many times opt for the 6.0L iron block because of it's better stability and strength....Oh, and the ability to bore 'em out.

I seriously considered one of the truck motors for my 914 conversion, recognizing I'd have to swap out the intake and oil pan for the LS1 version in order for it to fit. Even so, at the seriously low prices of the truck motors, I'd still be ahead after spending money on those parts. Found an '03 4.8 LR4 with 18K miles for $750.....sure was tempting!! The 6.0L does sell for somewhat more, however.

Andy1
Old 05-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Ok, so its LS1<truck<LS6 ? I'm sure the truck intake is also tuned for a little more low end torque...As far as the truck motor idea, that's not a bad idea. A 6.0L with heads, cam and a nice exhaust would be killer. Even a 5.3 can put out a good amount of power.....would you happen to have the bore and stroke on these motors? One of these might be better for a higher rpm application if the stroke is right. I don't think anything special is needed either to put a T56 behind a truck motor either. Damn man! You had to get me thinking again!
Right now the project is still on paper, but when it starts coming together, pictures will be posted!

-Chuck
'03 DSG Lightning *sold*
'05 GMC Sierra WT

Originally Posted by Andy1
Chuck,

According to the guys over at the truck section, the general concensus seems to be that the truck intake flows slightly better than the early LS1. When they went to the LS6 intake ('03?), those intakes flow only slightly better. Basically, if you have a truck motor, the LS1 intake swap is a waste of time. BTW, the truck intake is 3" taller than the LSx. If you have room for the deeper pan and taller intake, why not do a 4.8/5.3 or 6.0 swap? Truck motor is only 63 lbs. heavier, but can be bought very cheap. Low mileage 5.3's are $1K to $1.5K all day long, and you can adapt the TBW and have cruise control to boot! FWIW.

Andy1
Old 05-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Never mind, I found the info on the bore and stroke. Here it is if anyone else is interested:
Liters Cubes Bore (mm) Stroke (mm)
4.8-----293-----96.01--------83.00
5.3-----325-----96.01--------92.00
5.7-----346-----99.00--------92.00
6.0-----364-----101.60-------92.00
4.3-----262-----101.60-------88.39 (6 cylinder engine)
it's interesting to note that the bore on the 6.0L is the same as the 4.3 which is derived from the small block 350. Hmmm....so a 4.8L crank in a 6.0L block to make a high-revving 5.4L...

-Chuck
'03 DSG Lightning *sold*
'05 GMC Sierra WT (4.8L)
Old 05-26-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Chuck,

Over on the truck board, I posted some info (as did some others) regarding the 4.8 crank/rods in a 6.0 block. You basically end up with a modern day 327 (actually, 328), with nearly the same bore/stroke, but a far better rod ratio. According to *the numbers*, it appears that everything fits with a finished piston/deck nearly identical to stock (within .003"). If you use the stock 4.8 heads, even the CR works out (9.8:1, if I remember correctly). I didn't run the bob weight numbers, as don't have all the components to weigh; probably run it off to a balance shop anyway. Neat thing is, that all this stuff interchanges, like the crank that's the same for everything 5.3 and up; manifolds, oil pans, etc. I just love this kind of motor stuff and would love to build it, but I'm afaid I'd get too bogged down with it and loose sight of finishing my conversion.

BTW, that truck intake repotedly flows better through the whole range than does an early LS1.

Andy1
Old 05-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Sweet! Thanks Andy1! I've been searching prices on a solid roller setup for
these motors....It looks like if built right, these things can rev to 8 or 9000 rpm easy. Unfortunately, a solid roller setup isn't cheap. We'll see.
I appreciate all the info.

-Chuck

Quick Reply: LS1 dimensions