Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 fitting into 71 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005 | 01:12 PM
Teching In

Default 5.3 fitting into 71 Chevelle

I am having a tough time getting the 5.3/4l60e combo into my chevelle.

I put on the F-body oil pan, and am using the B&P mounting template.
I have taken the exhaust manifolds off.

I am having trouble getting the combo past the engine cradle (oil pan hits) and the trans tunnel (4l60 hits).

Do I just need to bash the trans tunnel to make room. Also, in just eyeballing the motor mounts and perches and looking at the oil pan and the engine cradle, it doesnt look like the oil pan will completely clear the engine cradle enough.

Any help would be appreciated.

Terry A
Old 05-22-2005 | 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

sorry to hear your having problems, I have put a 6.0 4l80e into my 68 lemans I used the truck oil pan, acc drive, intake. all cleared but I did use f-body manifolds to give a little more room on the sides. I made my own mounts but didn't cut any thing. don't give up hang in there. jim
Old 05-22-2005 | 01:58 PM
Teching In

Did you have to beat up your trans tunnel.
Old 05-24-2005 | 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Its my guess that you need to modify the F body pan and oil pick up tube. I used a S&P modifyed pan and it went in great. Used S&P motor mounts and moved them back by drilling new holes in the crossmember for stock chevelle lower perches. Bashed in the fire wall a little but U cant tell. Good Luck!
Old 05-25-2005 | 01:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 72ChevelleConv.LS1
Its my guess that you need to modify the F body pan and oil pick up tube. I used a S&P modifyed pan and it went in great. Used S&P motor mounts and moved them back by drilling new holes in the crossmember for stock chevelle lower perches. Bashed in the fire wall a little but U cant tell. Good Luck!
72ChevelleConv.LS1 - do you have any pics of your install? I'd love to get some info from you....I'm the market for an LS1 for my 70' Ragtop Chevelle right now....I already have a fresh T56 from D&D to go behind it.

Was this a very hard swap?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2005 | 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

The swap was not too hard but the frame off restoration slowed me down. I will post some shots hear soon. I just saw this today. Key things S&P mounts. Modifyed F- body oil pan. S&P headers. Chevelle gas tank with sump welded in. Inline fuel pump. Oh ya the most important.................. MONEY.
Old 05-28-2005 | 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ls1_chevelle is doing a 6.0 4L80 swap in his
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=chevelle
Old 05-28-2005 | 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rreemo
72ChevelleConv.LS1 - do you have any pics of your install? I'd love to get some info from you....I'm the market for an LS1 for my 70' Ragtop Chevelle right now....I already have a fresh T56 from D&D to go behind it.

Was this a very hard swap?

Thanks!
You need one

<-Wade
Old 05-31-2005 | 01:41 PM
Teching In

I got it in.
It wasn't easy. Had to cut up my trans tunnel quite a bit, and remove the factory AC stuff on the firewall. I was able to use the factory camaro oil pan. I had to remove the intake and the transmission dipstick to get it in. My body guy is coming over tonight to fix my trans tunnel (tore it up pretty bad). The engine sits back within about half inch of firewall.

All the front accessories from the truck will fit. The AC compressor just barely goes in front of the engine cradle. The drivers side truck exhaust manifold wont fit because my brake lines. I think I will try the camaro or firebird exhaust manifolds for better fit. I am able to use the stock chevelle transmission crossmember, with new holes in the frame rails.

At least the weight distribution should be good as far back as the engine sits. I am picking up a caprice fuel tank and pump tonight.
Old 06-01-2005 | 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by terrya
I got it in.
It wasn't easy. Had to cut up my trans tunnel quite a bit, and remove the factory AC stuff on the firewall. I was able to use the factory camaro oil pan. I had to remove the intake and the transmission dipstick to get it in. My body guy is coming over tonight to fix my trans tunnel (tore it up pretty bad). The engine sits back within about half inch of firewall.

All the front accessories from the truck will fit. The AC compressor just barely goes in front of the engine cradle. The drivers side truck exhaust manifold wont fit because my brake lines. I think I will try the camaro or firebird exhaust manifolds for better fit. I am able to use the stock chevelle transmission crossmember, with new holes in the frame rails.

At least the weight distribution should be good as far back as the engine sits. I am picking up a caprice fuel tank and pump tonight.
Glad it all fit, i'm surprised the stock oil pan fit, I know most people have to cut the Fbody pan. the caprice pump wont work though. They operate at a lower pressure.
Old 06-01-2005 | 07:44 AM
Teching In

I saw the specs for the caprice pump and it put out 50 psi.
How much do I need?
Old 06-01-2005 | 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

58 i believe.

-Matt
Old 06-02-2005 | 07:51 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the tip on the fuel pressure psi.
I got the tank from the caprice. I pulled the pump. I had another pump just sitting in my garage from a 96 chevy pickup. It was a Airtex E3270. It is an exact replacement for the caprice pump physically, same length - same size, same electrical connectors, and tube fittng. I called Airtex tech line (800-424-7839).
They said the 3270 will flow 38-40 gal/hour at 55-60 psi. The pump maxed out at 95 psi (zero flow). I think this pump should work. Just so everyone knows, this pump is in alot of GM cars and trucks. I havent tried the fit of the tank yet. I will let you guys know what I find out.
Old 06-05-2005 | 01:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 72ChevelleConv.LS1
The swap was not too hard but the frame off restoration slowed me down. I will post some shots hear soon. I just saw this today. Key things S&P mounts. Modifyed F- body oil pan. S&P headers. Chevelle gas tank with sump welded in. Inline fuel pump. Oh ya the most important.................. MONEY.
Yeah, I've heard that the modified F-body oil pan is the way to go....how is ground clearance with that? I've got some CPP springs in mine...sits pretty low. Does that pan end up being much lower than the front cross-member?
Old 06-05-2005 | 01:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01PewterWS6
You need one

<-Wade

Hehe - you know it man! I've decided that the insurance money won't be going towards a replacment Stang.....the cruiser is going under the knife this fall!

You're close by.....you ready to get your hands dirty? LOL
Old 06-07-2005 | 10:41 AM
ETS
Teching In

Have you had a chance to fit the tank yet? What are you doing for the shifter cable?
Old 06-07-2005 | 11:10 AM
Teching In

I got the gas tank in. It fit very well. I used the brackets from the caprice. The back of the brackets (towards differential) bolted right up to the chevelle. The other side (towards the rear bumper) I had to modify slightly to bolt up. It fits perfectly between the frame rails, and also front to back.
There is a hump on top of the caprice tank where the sending unit and pump bolt in, so I did have to hammer the trunk floor upwards a little bit there.
But that was the only modifying I had to do.

I am unsure on the shifter still. It will be cable. I have an old factory shifter from a 90 Lincoln mark VII that I modified for my console. This is what I was using prior to the 5.3 conversion. I will probably see if I can make it work on the 4L60E.

Quick Reply: 5.3 fitting into 71 Chevelle