Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1983 Hurst/Olds

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 Hurst/Olds

Ok, my dad has a 1983 Hurst/Olds Cutlass 15th anny. This car is awesome, and was very fast when it ran, and it only had a 307. I would love to bring new life to this car, but i fear that since i dont have much experience, and prolly not enough tools(mainly its just i have no welder or other higher priced things), i wont be able to complete this. but, if this swap is less complicated than I thought, what does it take to be done? right now, it has a 700R4. Will the LS1 bolt to that, or should i go with a 4l60E or whatever it is?

I know this is a lot, but thanks for reading.

Steve
Old 06-14-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would look into the G body swaps.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

if the car is in good shape, sounds like a cool car! if you thought the dog 307 was fast you won't belive how fast even a stock ls1 will feel in that! it will be a lot of work but, you will pick up somewhere around 130-140 rwhp with the swap (307's were rated at 180 net hp. guessing 150ish at the tire) just take your time. and this will be a sweet ride when it's completed..
several people have posted here about this kind of swap. seems strait forward. use the search..
Old 06-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Teching In

i looked over a few things, and i was just makin sure that there was nothing too different about this swap, but i would still like to know about the trannies. i didnt find anything about this in teh other g-body swap threads that i looked at.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure that car has a 700r4? Most of these things actually had 200r4 transmissions because of the smaller case. Even the Turbo Buick G bodies had 200r4's
Old 06-14-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
Are you sure that car has a 700r4? Most of these things actually had 200r4 transmissions because of the smaller case. Even the Turbo Buick G bodies had 200r4's
I had an '84 H/O and I believe he is right. They did come with a beefed up 700r4 if I remember correctly.

This would be an awesome swap project. My Olds was pretty quick for it's day. I can just imagine the fun it would be with an LS1 or LS6. Good God!

The most important thing would be to find a way to use the original Hurst Lightning Rod shifters. The car just wouldn't be right without them.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Oh noooooo. Don't put no sticking Chebby in your Olds.

Sorry, I am an Oldsmobile nut. It should be a very good combination. Just please try not to do anything permanent to the car. Try to use, or make, bolt on motor mounts etc. '83 Hurst Olds cars are hard to find in good condition and getting harder every day.

There I said my piece. Now to get off this damn soapbox.

Chris
Old 06-14-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by anoldsman
Oh noooooo. Don't put no sticking Chebby in your Olds.

Sorry, I am an Oldsmobile nut. It should be a very good combination. Just please try not to do anything permanent to the car. Try to use, or make, bolt on motor mounts etc. '83 Hurst Olds cars are hard to find in good condition and getting harder every day.

There I said my piece. Now to get off this damn soapbox.

Chris

with that thought in mind, i guess the pan mod would be better. (if somebody wanted to restore it to oem.)

but, you have to admit, the 307 was a boat anchor. as big and heavy as most big blocks. edelbrock is the only "bolt on" heads i know of. and they still barely make even adverage power for their size. it's no wonder gm scrapped the B.O.P's in favor of the sbc...

oh, in case your wondering.YES, i am a former olds guy.....
Old 06-14-2005, 01:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I sell the modified oil pans and motor mounts for a direct bolt-in installation, no hacking!

Read all about it here http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/
Old 06-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OWENMUSTANG

with that thought in mind, i guess the pan mod would be better. (if somebody wanted to restore it to oem.)

but, you have to admit, the 307 was a boat anchor. as big and heavy as most big blocks. edelbrock is the only "bolt on" heads i know of. and they still barely make even adverage power for their size. it's no wonder gm scrapped the B.O.P's in favor of the sbc...

oh, in case your wondering.YES, i am a former olds guy.....
Boat anchor? No Way. Now the 260 V-8, that was a major boat anchor. The 307 V-8 was just a very large ummm....brick.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Teching In

i would rather have a 307 than a 305. the only reason i would put the LS1 in this is because of: 1) i dont have to buy the car and 2) lightning rods are just plain sick. Does the LS1 bolt to the 700R4? i wouldnt mind swapping the tranny to the newer auto tranny as long as i could use the lightning rods. also, does anyone make bolt on motor mounts for the G-body?

i checked out that page on the carlo SS. that thing is badass. that is basically what i want. looks like i have found the right person to be in contact with

Last edited by llegos; 06-14-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an 1985 Olds 442. Same drivetrain as the 83/84 HO. I would recommend using an Oldsmobile 403CID 6.6 liter engine from a Trans Am or a full size Olds from the late 1970s to early 1980s. Bolts right in. Sure it was only rated at 180hp but everything back then was strangulated by primitive pollution controls.(Be happy GM did not use Lean Burn as Mopar did!) The H/O already has a 3.73 rear axle. And the automatic trans can be beefed up with the same components used in the Buick GNs of the period. See KenneBell or other similar. The trans was a 200R4 not a 700.

But if you wish to do an LS1 then enjoy. I have no experience with that swap. Best Wishes in any case. Yeah, more power with the LS1. But a 6.6 would keep it all Olds. Wonder if 6.6L are as common,and cheap, as they used to be in junkyards?

I still have the Hypertech chip for the 307 engine. Nostalgia is beautiful.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Teching In

i am pretty sure the tranny is a 700, and i cannot legally put an older engine in this car, and with an LS1 properly installed, i am almost guarenteed to pass smog. if the laws here werent so strict, i would definatly go with a regular smallblock.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Teching In

ooo, new problem. I know im going to need a higher pressure fuel pump, what can i do for a wiring harnass?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

Technically, ask others, but I say go for it. I had been into and love Oldsmobiles. I gave up as they quit offering perfomance in 71' or so.

That is a neat car, it lacked real power though.

Do It!!!

Dr. Olds and George Watson would be proud
Old 06-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Teching In

there is still the tranny issue that needs to be resolved before i make a decision.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:15 AM
Launching!

5.3 racer on this board did a swap on an 85 cutlass you might want to email him. He made his own mounts that put the motor back further and bolted up to the stock olds trans using the stock crossmember. He was using a turbo 350 but it would also work with the 200r4 trans and 700r4 trans also. To run the older trans you have to get the t56 speed sensor that bolts up to them. Tennesse Auto sells them I think. Run a Pcm harness and computer from a manual trans car. You have to delete skip shift I think. Get the locar trottle body Bracket and kickdown (TV) cable. You also need a high pressure switch that TCI sells to put on the trans. This will give you lockup in 4th over drive only. Just wire it to a 12 volt keyed source. I think this is all you need. If you use the mounts that 5.3 racer used you don't have to shorten the drive shaft or make new trans cooler lines and you don't have to screw with the spedometer. If you don't want to run dual exhaust this is fine. You can use truck manifolds and weld in the O2 bungs. Have a custom made 2/12 to 3in y pipe to a single high flow cat. Cut the rear flange off your old cat and weld it on to the new one and bolt up to the catback and you should be OK. The battery is on a different side than the Monte beacuse the Olds starter is on the other side. Swap the cannister and battery. You will need the grand national evaporator and fuel lines also. You can buy these from inline tube. Everything else has already been covered do a search if you get stuck. Get some custom black fuel rail covers for that baby with gold hurst lettering. That would look sharp woundn't it. Good Luck
Old 06-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Teching In

thanks man. now after i get all the info im gonna need, i can get to searchin for an engine
Old 06-15-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm here!! h/o's had 200r4's. you'll need a bop to chevy trans adapter, tci makes them, i have mine if you want to buy it, lol. i had a 455 in my car for a while and my 6.0 made it look like a 260. i made my own mounts based off of where olds put the 307 and no oil pan mods or frame mods were needed. you'll need to use truck coil packs and you'll want to remove the right side valve cover when you install the engine to save the heater box. once the engine is in there's no clearance problems with the box. if you have any other questions pm me, i'll be glad to help....
Old 06-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Teching In

ok, yea. i was told i had a strengthened 700. I am not good with these things, so if i wanted to go with a new tranny, what should i get? either a strenghened 700R4 or a strengthened 200R4? i hear 700's are better. so your saying that since my car has a 307 now, i wont need to move the mount location? and i wont need a new oil pan? if i get upgraded coil packs, will they fit or not? what can i do about valve covers?

EDIT: now i understand your responce about the valve covers.

do you have AIM or anything so i can keep in contact besides PM's?

Quick Reply: 1983 Hurst/Olds