Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking info on LS1/4L60E in a 55 truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005 | 11:39 PM
Launching!

Default Looking info on LS1/4L60E in a 55 truck

I've been reading the forums and searching but have not found any info for putting in a LS1 in this truck.

I have a camaro front clip and ford 9" rearend.
I'll get the mail order PCM from Jesse.

Questions:
1. Will the oil pan be a problem.
2. Where can I get motor mounts?

Any info on what to expect or tips would be great.
Old 06-16-2005 | 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Depends on what front suspension you want to run. Here's a start... http://www.classictrucksweb.com/features/0404cl_55chev/

I love 55-72 chevy trucks
Old 06-16-2005 | 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Assuming your talking chevy...
Old 06-17-2005 | 12:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
Assuming your talking chevy...
Yes, it's a chevy second series truck.

I'm reusing all the camaro front end, so it will have power Brakes/steering with the standard suspension.

I've heard that the oil pan will need to be modified in order to clear the crossmember.
Old 06-17-2005 | 07:38 AM
On The Tree

I would think if you are using a 4th gen F-Body front clip/member there should be no fittment issues with an F-Body LS1 pan. The gen III SBC truck pans can be used for certain applications too. As far as mounts, there are all kinds of aftermarket mounts availale, even some of the sponsors on this site. Wish I could provide more specific info, but I avaoided all that stuff by doing a body swap
Old 06-17-2005 | 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Default LS1/4L60E 55 Chevy response

My friend Nate in Gilbert, Arizona has a 55 Chevy Truck with a LS1/4L60E combination. He got his complete new wiring harness, with integrated fan relays, fuel pump relay and "stand alone" PCM set-up specifically for the tranny, high perf and no cats (5 wire hook-up) from Howard Performance (480) 577-9413

Nate's 55 chevy truck might be a bit too extreme depending on what you want to do. His company (in the business) fabbed a complete new rectangular tube frame, powder coated purple, slammed with Air-ride adjustable Billet shocks, low profile/cantivelevered over the rear like a Formula car suspension, linked to a 2000 Vette IRS rear-end. Rack & Pinon up front, custom built tubular control arms front/rear/up/down. The LS1 and 4L60E looks tiny in the frame with long extensions from frame to the motor mounts (bear in mind the same set-up can fit into a Miata). e-mail me if you want and I'll send you some pictures.

Anyway, no easy solutions other than the PCM wiring harness. Call Howard Performance (Jeff) can probably help and refer you to Nate for details.

Good luck man, your truck sounds like a fun project!
Old 06-17-2005 | 09:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS V8s in Miatas
My friend Nate in Gilbert, Arizona has a 55 Chevy Truck with a LS1/4L60E combination. He got his complete new wiring harness, with integrated fan relays, fuel pump relay and "stand alone" PCM set-up specifically for the tranny, high perf and no cats (5 wire hook-up) from Howard Performance (480) 577-9413

Nate's 55 chevy truck might be a bit too extreme depending on what you want to do. His company (in the business) fabbed a complete new rectangular tube frame, powder coated purple, slammed with Air-ride adjustable Billet shocks, low profile/cantivelevered over the rear like a Formula car suspension, linked to a 2000 Vette IRS rear-end. Rack & Pinon up front, custom built tubular control arms front/rear/up/down. The LS1 and 4L60E looks tiny in the frame with long extensions from frame to the motor mounts (bear in mind the same set-up can fit into a Miata). e-mail me if you want and I'll send you some pictures.

Anyway, no easy solutions other than the PCM wiring harness. Call Howard Performance (Jeff) can probably help and refer you to Nate for details.

Good luck man, your truck sounds like a fun project!
Whoa! Your friend just did a show truck, that truck should be in some magazine. I would like to see some pictures of the engine bay if you can get them, especially the headers and motor mounts.
I don't think the wiring harness will be a issue, I'm going to use a thrid party harness for the whole truck which should have the necessary connections for the motor/PCM.

You can put a really large engine with a blower in this truck and still close the hood with lots of space available.

Quick Reply: Looking info on LS1/4L60E in a 55 truck