Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005 | 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Default Cooling fan wiring question

My car has no A/C so my fans wired together as one going into one 30 amp fuse coming out of the fuse going into a relay. I can run one fan but not both cause the fuse keeps blowing. So should I get a bigger fuse? These are LS1 cooling fans.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-07-2005 | 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

I split mine...two relays, two 30A fuses, both relays are pulled by the PCM fan 1 relay output.
Old 07-07-2005 | 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

umm, the LS1 PCM is fully capable of controlling 2 fans.

1st fan is a primary, comes on when the car gets warm..
2nd is a secondary fan... comes on when the primary is on, and its still not cool enough.

both fans should be on their own relays..... to have it the stock LS1 way, each relay trigger is wired to the wire on the PCM.... to have both act as the primary, they're still on their own relays, but the relay triggers are both wired to the PCM.
Old 07-07-2005 | 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

I know this now, but at the time I misunderstood the whole low speed vs. high speed logic so I built it the way I did.

I have the 2nd fan control wire bundled off to the side where I can put it to use on relay 2, just been too busy running the car to mess with it. 6 road course event days this year and more coming. Already used up a driver side front Goodyear slick, a set of Hawk HT-8 brake pads, and a set of rotors. This LS1 is just too much fun to drive!!

Still need to find a wiper motor that will fit on my oddball '82 firewall and clear the LS1 intake...the giant '82 piece won't squeeze in, and the skinny later model motors won't fit onto the firewall.
Old 07-07-2005 | 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
umm, the LS1 PCM is fully capable of controlling 2 fans.

1st fan is a primary, comes on when the car gets warm..
2nd is a secondary fan... comes on when the primary is on, and its still not cool enough.

both fans should be on their own relays..... to have it the stock LS1 way, each relay trigger is wired to the wire on the PCM.... to have both act as the primary, they're still on their own relays, but the relay triggers are both wired to the PCM.
shouldn't the fans be on there on fuse also?
Old 07-07-2005 | 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Not sure how they come from the factory, but I built my setup with separate 30A fuses for each fan and a separate fusible-link-protected feed for the pull circuit on each relay.

I like lots of protection for my wiring.
Old 07-07-2005 | 02:11 PM
Launching!

yeah since I have no ac and a truck harness, I have a pair of flexalite fans on a since 30 amp relay running off of the computer signal. I imagine you can run your system the same way, although you will definitely need a bigger fuse since your fans draw more current. But instead of buying a 60 amp fuse, it would probably be wise to set it up on 2 seperate 30 amp relays like everyone has mentioned.

Remington
Old 07-07-2005 | 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GM_GUY
My car has no A/C so my fans wired together as one going into one 30 amp fuse coming out of the fuse going into a relay. I can run one fan but not both cause the fuse keeps blowing. So should I get a bigger fuse? These are LS1 cooling fans.

Thanks in advance
Hey, Tommy...you should go ask on DFWstangs LOL
Old 07-08-2005 | 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mystic96
Hey, Tommy...you should go ask on DFWstangs LOL
I fixed it lastnight car is fine both fans are running great
Old 07-08-2005 | 09:45 AM
Launching!

The stock fan setup the PCM controls both fans through relays. Low speed connects both fans in series where they will each drop 6 volts in a 12 volt system and cut their speed in half so low speed. When the PCM commands high speed it separates each fan independently through relays so they each connect to 12 Volts thus high speed. It takes 3 relays to do this as it is set up in the Corvette wiring.

My Corvette wiring diagram clearly states this as I had to trouble shoot it recently since the fans were not coming on and I wasn't sure they were working properly. Turns out they are working properly but only turn on at higher temps like 220F. I will probably reprogram the turn on temps in the PCM after I get my editing software.

I would like to get two cooling fan setup in my conversion and wire it up for low and high speed with the PCM controlling the fans. I will reset the turn on temps appropriately. Well that is the plan right now.

Last edited by jdperk-86elco; 07-08-2005 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Cooling fan wiring question