Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'69 camaro w/ 98 LS1 fuel questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '69 camaro w/ 98 LS1 fuel questions?

i know this has got to get annoying to you guys, but i can't find anything about this particular setup using the search button...

my dad and i are pulling my old carbuerated 350 out of my '69 camaro tonight probably, and are getting ready to drop the ls1 in...my question is ragarding the fuel system. we are planning on dropping the tank, and mounting the warlbro 255 lph external fuel pump near it. now, i've heard about 98's not needing a return line...is this correct? if so, what parts do i NEED to get this running at the right fuel pressure from idle to WOT? will the stock V8 fuel lines be able to hold enough? you know, a walkthrough of this fuel system fix would be INCREDIBLE!

as it sits right now, i'm planning on ordering another v8 fuel line straight from yearone for my return, and mounting it right next to the supply fuel line. then get the vette fpr/filter and mount it on the drivers side right by the fuel lines, and then hook it all up...?

thank you for your help and lemme know if you need any other info.?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok for starters, you need 3/8" supply to engine, most older carby cars had 5/16". Check this out first.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Launching!

If you have a '98 style fuel rail, with supply and return, why not just run the two lines the length of the car and connect them at the fuel rail? It will save you some money and hassles with the '99 up vette regulator and all the fittings neccesary with it (quick disconnects etc) which are pricey and hard to find, I only found them from S&P or Russell.

Read this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/342280-1st-gen-camaro-ls1-swap-parts-list.html

It will show some parts you might be forgetting. I've posted a link there with a budget way to mod a stock tank with an intank setup. If you have the budget I'd recommend Rick's Hot Rods stainless EFI tank, they are top notch and great customer service.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the link!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the LOW dollar, high tech method.

You obtain a duel fuel line rail (97-98 Vette)

You obtain the full set of fuel lines from a 1996 style caprice.

You obtain a fuel pump assembly from a 1996 Caprice.

You cut a hole in the trunk floor and mod the top of the gas tank to accept the 96 caprice sending/pump unit. It is really cool because it has a 6 bolt ring that locks it down to the stock Caprice tank that could be easily adapted to the Camaro tank (or just install the complete 96 Caprice tank like I did, but there are mods needed). Now you can access the pump assembly from the trunk and don't need to drop the tank in the future.

Route the plastic lines from the caprice off the tank over the driver side of the axle, back across to the passenger side. Mount the caprice fuel filter on the bracket that holds the front right rear spring perch. Run the lines down the passenger side of the sub frame, between the subframe and firewall, across the back of the engine and to the fuel rail.

You can get a Walbro 255 pump to drop right in the tank on the Caprice sending unit.

That completes your fuel system using OEM lines and no mickey mouse adapter fittings.

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a quick question, why route the lines down the passenger side and then cross them over to the driver's side to connect to the fuel rail. Why not just run them down the drivers side to begin with? I keep seeing people running them down the passenger side and can't figure out why?

thanks for any insight

Pat
Old 07-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple of reasons. One, the brake line usually runs down the driver side since the m/c is there. Two, the Caprice lines are longer than what is needed for the Camaro so running them this way uses up any extra length.

Quick Reply: '69 camaro w/ 98 LS1 fuel questions?