Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to put a LS1 in a 73 camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd
All you would need is the Motor mount plates? is this for use with the LS1 motor mounts or the 70s mounts? - How does the LS1 motor mount work with the plates? and
The LS1 motor plates bolt to the LS1 , you use your '74 motor mounts ( bracket & mount) like original in '74. I had to drill one hole in the K member to fit it right , others had to drill two or even 3. That's the beauty of the LS1 plates - there made so you can use your original motor mounts.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NX74LS6
The LS1 motor plates bolt to the LS1 , you use your '74 motor mounts ( bracket & mount) like original in '74. I had to drill one hole in the K member to fit it right , others had to drill two or even 3. That's the beauty of the LS1 plates - there made so you can use your original motor mounts.
Thanks for providing the info that I would use the 70s motor mounts with the plates.
Can you not use the motor plates and use the existing LS1 motor mounts for a 73 front clip? I was looking at trying to use the LS1 F-Body motor mounts because if it works there will be lots of space for the LS1 headers, plus the motor will sit a little higher I think.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

How much harder would it be to put in a t56 in a 2nd gen equipped with a th350?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd
Thanks for providing the info that I would use the 70s motor mounts with the plates.
Can you not use the motor plates and use the existing LS1 motor mounts for a 73 front clip? I was looking at trying to use the LS1 F-Body motor mounts because if it works there will be lots of space for the LS1 headers, plus the motor will sit a little higher I think.
I don't think the LS1 mounts would work. I think the adapter plate (S&P style) allows the LS1 to bolt in further up on the engine in relation to the k member(2nd Gen). Just my .02 .
Old 08-11-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see this post. I have a 71 camaro and I am looking to do the LS1/T56. I have done lots of research about it and I am ready to start. I am planning on using a supply/return setup and mod my fuel tank to take an intank pump assembly from tanks inc. For the mounting I plan to use the S&P plates coz I don't have fabricating skills. I am yet to find a trans mount solution. I hear the 400 trans mount can be modified to work with the T56. Let me know what you guys used or know. As for the wiring harness....I'll let speartech take care of that. I am still reading up on the detail of this swap and hope to start soon. As for the cost, I have been saving up and picking up extra shifts at my job. I also plan to sell the 350/350 combo I currently have in the car.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Edelbrock Victor race headers will fit the 2nd gens pretty well. You have to but the ones with slip on collectors though to be able to heat up the primaries and straighten them out. The search feature will bring up a TON of info on this site about second gen swaps. My Ls1 project has undergone quite a few changes in the last few years. 4L60E to a Th400 and now Im going with a T56. Just remember that you guys need to keep a VSS signal going to the PCM to keep driveability issues at bay.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lesrace82
Just remember that you guys need to keep a VSS signal going to the PCM to keep driveability issues at bay.
I did a search for VSS. I couldn't find anything. Could you please give me a link or explain this to me?
thanks
Old 08-14-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasycz28
I did a search for VSS. I couldn't find anything. Could you please give me a link or explain this to me?
thanks
VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor

Grab a copy of "Corvette Fuel Injection and Engine Control" by Charles Probst and read up, it's an excellent reference for how the PCM does its job.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=VSS

Here's a link to one of the threads I was involved in. I had heads and a decent sized cam, along with putting in a TH400. I didnt run a VSS signal because i thought it wasnt that big of a deal, but I had stalling problems when coming to a stop and tons of false knock when accelerating. Just better to have it hooked up so that the PCM knows what is going on and can adjust to what is happening.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lesrace82
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=VSS

Here's a link to one of the threads I was involved in. I had heads and a decent sized cam, along with putting in a TH400. I didnt run a VSS signal because i thought it wasnt that big of a deal, but I had stalling problems when coming to a stop and tons of false knock when accelerating. Just better to have it hooked up so that the PCM knows what is going on and can adjust to what is happening.
I read through the other thread and yes I see how running a VSS signal would help out. Unless I missed it, what is out there to create the VSS signal on the older cars? Someone in the other post said something about a inline sensor for the speedo cable. If this is the fix were can I find one? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Do you have to cut the tunnel for the 6 speed or will it clear. I have a 70 camaro with a ls1 and a 700r4 and want to go to a six speed.

Quick Reply: I want to put a LS1 in a 73 camaro!