Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'68 Corvette Story...LS1 into a '68???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '68 Corvette Story...LS1 into a '68???

Well, it's a long story...I met a girl who's father had been taken by cancer last December. I started going to her Mother's house helping her move back in with her mother so she wouldn't be alone. Out back were two old shops, looking they would barely stand. One day I noticed her uncle, her dad's brother, going to one of the shops and didn't think much about it. On a leter date, my girlfriend and her mother had gone to pick up some pizza, her uncle was walking down going towards the shop. I figured I would go and see what he was up to and see if I couldn't help. I knew he was remodeling his house and figured he was cutting some flooring for the house. I walked in the shop and saw a '68 Corvette 427 BBC convertible in 80% original condition with all the parts needed to restore it laying around in boxes and on shelves. He was working on the car, putting the carpet in, gathering the seats to take to the uphostelry shop, and putting the gauges in. The motor would run but it backfired every now and again through carb at idle. We got to talking and he asked about how my car was coming, and he wanted to "show me something". So we walked out to the next shop, there sat a '68 T-top coupe. The car has a 327 that her uncle said was a High Output from the factory. It was on a rack, homemade, with the undercarriage out, no rearend, the motor was sitting in the corner looking like it needed alot of attention. I scrambled around going through the boxes and shelves and found the Undercarriage looking like it had been freshly painted, new glass for the whole car, new trim, new gauges, new seats, new carpet, new everything almost. Her uncle said that her dad had always dreamt of having this car so the family could take it out for a drive and show it off. Her uncle proceeded to tell me that there were about $30,000 worth of parts and labor laying around in the shop. From the frame being powdercoated to the new seats I would believe it. The body had been prepped for paint, looking like he still had a few areas to go over again. So the car is red with body filler here and there, an old air compressor sat in the corner with an air sander connected to the hose on the shelf so I assume the body is what he was working on. Her uncle said, "I'll give you this car as a wedding gift because I really don't want to do his project. He has about everything you need to finish it. You'll need to get a paint job, the motor rebuilt, put the undercarriage together, the rearend is in the other shop, it has been powdercoated and had new gears installed. All of the interior is here, you'll need a new wiring harness, the rats have chewed the one he bought." He went on to say "I want this car to stay in the family, and giving to his daughter and husband would be what he wanted, especially since I have more than I can handle right now with the convertible." I asked how long this project had been going on. He said they both bought the cars in '78. Started woring on them in '82, a little here and there. They went in steps and helped each other out. Some of the time they would go for 3-4 years without touching them. I was just astounded at the time and money they had invested but also confused about why the projects weren't further along than they were but her father had been sick for 3-4 years before he passed.

I would like to put an lsx into it but at the same time I don't want to alter the original plans that her dad and uncle had planned. Just curious what you guys would do. What are your comments, suggestions? The swap wouldn't be hard at all but is this selfish? My girlfriend was told about the incident by her Uncle, she says do what I want. She wants to see it run and be able to drive and ride in it. Kind of a "This-Do-In-Remembrance-Of-Me" deal I guess. I don't know how it is to lose a father, mine hasn't passed yet but I'm sure it will a very very hard stage in life. I don't know how I would respond if the situation were reversed. I haven't been anywhere close to that situation.

What do you think?
What would you do?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

And by the way, we are setting a wedding date for January or Febuary of next year.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Teching In

I say keep the original motor and plans for it, its a dedication car...In a few years that motor will have issues and u can swap in an ls1 or w.e else u want, but as for now no1 likes to be the talk of the family, especially in a negative way
Old 08-05-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does this thread belong in the Coversions & Hybrids forum? Are you asking about how to do the conversion or are you asking for familial advice?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm asking both questions in one thread. I'm a little confused on this one, wouldn't you be? Thanks for the comment though, and nice car.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Scooter, was your car a BB from the factory or SB? How was the conversion or did you do it? Where did you mount the computer?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

It was originally a smallblock/4-speed car.

Click here.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Launching!

I would follow the guys plans. Besides it will be worth more unmodified in the future.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Lightbulb My 2 cents....

If it were me, I would sit down with the uncle, have a beer or two, discuss both options, get his input, then decide. Who knows, if your girl's dad would have been an LS1 fan, he may have done this himself. Anyway, good luck on whatever you decide. You are a very lucky guy.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Corvettes are always worth more if kept original. Besides they were already high performance for the day. I would restore the car to her Dad's plans and when she rides or drive it she will remember him and his dream.

Find another car to install an LS1 into like another old Vette that is in bad shape and YOUR plans can come then. While you are working on your LS1 project you will still be enjoying a nicely restored Corvette and a car that is part of the family.

A 1968 Corvette restored is a good thing, an LS1 would diminish its apeal and in this case family sentimental value. This one is special.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

It will be kept original...that's the best thing to do IMO. Later maybe an lsx can be put into something else, when the mods are a little cheaper.