Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1, LS2 or LS7 in a BOAT ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seems like a good way to get water into places where it doesn't belong.....

I've got a SBC boat motor with water jacketed exhausts. You can lean on them with the motor running (just after a hard pull). There is ALOT of water going through there.

I think that:
1.) The ports aren't small enough to be useful.
2.) You're very likely to hydrolock the engine, which would be very very bad.

But an interesting idea. Please keep thinking outside the box. Sometimes thats how the best ideas get thought up!

'Dreamin'
Old 09-08-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It wouldn't run any jacketed exhaust. Probably stock manifolds to piping out the back, or the turbo's

Cooling will be by means of a water to water heat exchanger since ls1's wouldn't be ideal for dumping freshwater into.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
That seems like a good way to get water into places where it doesn't belong.....

I've got a SBC boat motor with water jacketed exhausts. You can lean on them with the motor running (just after a hard pull). There is ALOT of water going through there.

I think that:
1.) The ports aren't small enough to be useful.
2.) You're very likely to hydrolock the engine, which would be very very bad.

But an interesting idea. Please keep thinking outside the box. Sometimes thats how the best ideas get thought up!

'Dreamin'
Ok then. What about a set of stainless shorties with the water going in at the collectors? There would be a vacuum at the collectors, just like some drag cars use that high velocity gas to evacuate the oil mist from the engine.

You could do a closed loop cooling system easily enough though.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fandango
Ok then. What about a set of stainless shorties with the water going in at the collectors? There would be a vacuum at the collectors, just like some drag cars use that high velocity gas to evacuate the oil mist from the engine.

You could do a closed loop cooling system easily enough though.
I think it boils down to what do you want to do....

If its in an open engine bay, you probably could get by with running the exhaust dry, especially if its a race boat. Would have to worry about whether you'd have people touching pipes or such, they'd get a nasty burn. Plus those hot pipes would certainly pose some fire risk.

If its an enclosed engine bay, I think you've really got to run jacketed manifolds. The engine bay air temperature would just get too high otherwise. Flashpoint of gasoline isn't all that high, if you get the engine bay temperature high enough, any gasoline vapor will auto-ignite....Not a good thing. Fire is one of the worst things you can encounter on a boat.

Another thing to consider is the boat manifolds sweep up and then down for a reason. In a boat with below water exhaust, the rise is there to keep waves and such from flowing up the exhaust and into the engine (same deal when you're operating in reverse). Typically there's 16" of rise from the transom exit to the top of the manifold riser. And bigger boats are likely to need more rise. You could run those shorty manifolds upside down, with an elbow at the exit so that you turn it back down, but that's starting to look pretty ghetto....I don't think a set of stainless shorty manifolds will be that much cheaper than just buying a correct set of manifolds.

'Dreamin'
Old 09-08-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd make sure to open up the oil ports, put a HD oil pump in, open up the water jackets where you can, and get your rotating assembly specifically built for water use. Its just like a snowmobile. They are on a constant load ALL the time. Takes a totally different internal set-up to allow flawless performance.

-Matt

Quick Reply: LS1, LS2 or LS7 in a BOAT ???