Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered a new C/K truck oil pan and the hydraulic clutch cylinder/resevoir today from GMPartsDirect after waiting lengthy periods trying to deal with their inferior, untimely support department and paying their incredible handling fees.

Ordered an energy suspension tranny mount on 10/10/05 ($20, Summit Racing). Rebuilding steering while I wait for them to arrive.

Last edited by shifty`; 10-12-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Still waiting on parts to come in, so I tore down my steering and rebuilt plus an upgraded power steering gearbox for just under $270 (all TRW/Moog parts). Still need to get everything finished and tie rods installed.

Tore the tank out of the cab on Monday, removed the bench seat in preparation for setting up the shifter (cutting hole, etc) and moving the tank to the back.

Added more installation pictures in a new section of my photos gallery.

Last edited by shifty`; 03-02-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Shifty, Where did you get your motor mounts? I am putting a 5.3 vortec in a 71 Chevy short bed. I need some motor mounts. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

shifty, how did you get the throttle linkage to work? I have a 69 with the old steel linkage.
Thanks
Terry
Old 10-17-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gunsandmotors
Hey Shifty, Where did you get your motor mounts? I am putting a 5.3 vortec in a 71 Chevy short bed. I need some motor mounts. Thanks.
Early Classic Enterprises has a great set. Google for Early Classic Enterprises - you're looking for the GenIII motor mount kit. those guys are great, you'll be really happy with them....they're $250 and worth every penny. There are pictures of some in my gallery album (linked in my signature)

Here are both of them sitting on the framerails and xmember:
http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...swap%20004.jpg

Here's a closeup of one of them completely assembled:
http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...swap%20005.jpg

Here is a picture of the top half mounted to the block:
http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...swap%20021.jpg

The other side:
http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...swap%20022.jpg

And, last but not least, the bottom half:
http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...swap%20036.jpg

Going down the hatch!:
http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...swap%20033.jpg

Originally Posted by Terry'sToy
shifty, how did you get the throttle linkage to work? I have a 69 with the old steel linkage.
Thanks
Terry
I haven't ..... yet. I gotta cross that bridge shortly (3-6 weeks from now). My parts finally came in for the hydraulic clutch from GM Parts Direct, those jackholes packed the box so crappy that the bolts for the oil pan slipped right outta the box, so I have yet another delay holding me back from getting installed. I'll never shop through those jerks again!

Last edited by shifty`; 03-02-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Updated image links
Old 10-17-2005, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks.
Maybe you could let me know when you get there. haha.

Terry
Old 10-17-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey guys that was the easy part ha ha . anyway I just bought a cable thye throttle off another site for a 72 truck I did have to drill a new hole or 2 since it mounted different than the one in my 68, I then just used the cable off the 5.3 motor I started with out of the silverado. worked very slick with no problems...
Old 10-17-2005, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Cool thanks for that info.
But just to get it right in my head, you bought the stuff that bolts inside the cab for a cable set up 71-72 truck? Is there anything that bolts to the outside of the cab?

Thanks
Terry
Old 10-18-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Terry, I dont think there is anything that goes on the outside, I drilled a couple holes and ran bolts through the holes and put nuts on the outside (engine compartment) seemed to work for me.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Custom 68 thanks for the help. I'm off hunting for a linkage now.

Terry
Old 10-18-2005, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by custom 68
Terry, I dont think there is anything that goes on the outside, I drilled a couple holes and ran bolts through the holes and put nuts on the outside (engine compartment) seemed to work for me.
That's all there is to it. It works really well.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

terry check out the site you were also on for the truck parts you will find one there I am sure.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, had a "DOH!" moment today. After having all the problems w/GMPartsDirect, they sent another C/K truck pan with all the bolts this time (I now have three oil pans, two new truck pans and one stock pan). Get the old pan down today and realize...damn....I need a new pickup. With that, I also need new dip stick and its tube. I'm not sure if I'll need a new windage tray as well. I might get one just for S&G. :\ Here are a list of add'l part numbers used:

C/K Truck Oil Pump Pickup: 12563961
C/K Truck Windage Tray: 12558268
C/K Truck Dipstick: 12558684
C/K Truck Dipstick Tube: 12563918
Old 10-30-2005, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys.

Terry
Old 11-01-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Shifty, are you done yet or what? Haha. Just messing with you, looks like it is coming along well...
Old 11-01-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Cool. Mine may get a LS1 one of these years if I can ever get anything done on it.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Teching In

How's it going shifty?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Very intrested in seeing the finished product. Im hoping to do a similar swap in the near future...
Old 11-10-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heh, man, seriously, those jerks at GMPartsDirect totally set me behind 3 weeks. I will never, ever shop with them again. They left me with a spare pan, but it wasn't worth it to be honest. I would have rather just had it packed/shipped right in the first place. They totally scammed DHL's insurance company on that one ...

Meanwhile, I got new energy suspension tranny mount did some cleanup on the entire package, yanked the old tank, and I wrapped up my steering rebuild, so I'll be riding with power steering now and all new tie rods, pitman/idler and gearbox. I'm pretty stoked about that.

I also got my cooling fans in from FBodyChopShop (Tony, VERY VERY cool guy to do business with!! Check him out @ www.FbodyChopShop.com , you will NOT be disappointed!!). Picked it up for a very reasonable price a couple weeks ago - cheaper than anything you'll find on eBay and no hassles. I plan on hitting him up for a pump and tank soon. I really need to wait till the front clip is out of the way before I can do anything with the tank though ... hae no place to stick the bed in the meantime.

I wish I could find someone local to me to buy my two inline 250 engines, 3spd tranny and 4spd muncie truck tranny with boxes of other auto parts for $450 (hint, hint). That would really clear up the space I need to take off the bed and finish up! Someone help me out!!

Here are some things that still need to be done before I am "there":
Fuel tank and pump + lines.
Purchase shift kit/shifter.
Fab up some power steering hoses.
Get the engine bolted up and tranny xmember installed/bolted in.
Find some suitable headers!
Send the PCM off for reprogramming, since I am too feeble and without software/hardware to do so.
Take care of harness modding (send it off?).
Find a new location for the battery.
Cap off all the EGR crap I won't need on the engine. Still gotta figure out what to cap off also.
Install '71-72 gas pedal/cable setup.
Fab the brackets and cut holes for the hydraulic clutch stuff.
Install gauges so I can tell how fast I'm going, etc.
Drill out the oil cooler tap and thread it for my manual oil pressure gauge.
Find a place in the head to mount my manual water temp gauge. It's there somewhere already, I'll just need to thread it.

That should have me about ready to fire it up and drive it. ETA completion is by Christmas if holiday travelling doesn't set me back. I had to go to 6 weddings this year, so I'm a little behind.

Got the motor mounts all drilled out tonight. I got the new oil pickup, dipstick and tube in yesterday, got the replacement pan, so the C/K truck pan and oil pickup are in and the engine is ready to get dropped in. Should happen this weekend, hope to have pictures up. I've been at this "I'm ready to drop it in this weekend" place three times already and something ALWAYS comes up!!

Here's a pic of the engine/tranny with the new truck oil pan (as of about an hour ago). Should clear the xmember a lot better now. I think it looks better too. Should be easier to change the oil as well. Perfect bolt up.
Attached Thumbnails My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside-pan_swap-009.jpg  

Last edited by shifty`; 11-10-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PS - if anyone needs a C/K truck pan, I have a spare. It's missing the two long rear bolts and one of the regular bolts. It's brand spaking new with the windage/splash tray and oil sensor included.

Quick Reply: My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside