Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! Plenty of clearance. looks like it was made to fit. Use a blow gun on your compressor to get the peanuts out. I hate those things. They were stuck inside my LS6 intake, worse was they stuck to the oil inside it. I have no idea why the runners need foam in them, maybe to keep it from collapsing while in transit. ..
What else do you have left to do now?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Shifty,

I have a brand new front end kit for a 68-C10. I bought it by mistake while re-building the front end of the 68-C30 chassy I'm using for my 40 Dodge build. The kit has just about everything, all upper & lower control arms replacement parts, tie rods, etc.. Let me know if you want it. Only things not in the kit are front shocks & tie rod adjusters.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i got a list somewhere around here. basically to fire the engine, this is what i need:

crank down all my mounts
line-x tank(arrived day before yesterday)
install tank
install gas pedal (might do this weekend)
install throttle cable (arrives tuesday from gmotors.com, $21 from '00 silverado)
get fuel lines run
possible harness hacking
possible PCM reprogram
reinstall front clip of truck
install a battery somehow, somewhere
install radiator
install/wire LS1 fans (electric)
setup all cooling hoses
finish the hydraulic hoses for power steerring (doing that in the morning)
setup the manual oil/temp/batt gauges

to drive it:
take cab off, finish bolting in tranny xmember (gotta do this before front clip goes on)
install hydraulic actuator setup (for clutch)
measure and have driveshaft chopped to fit
replace cab bushings before reinstalling it
figure out something to use as a shifter
install a steering column
get at least a speed and rpm gauge

projected date of completion is in May, hoping to drive to Maggie Valley meet. before then i would like to lower the truck a little bit, get one-piece back window installed and install one-piece power windows. i need to get new bed wood and a few other things, but none of this is crucial. i just can't wait to get it running at this point.

I want to take the tranny to Keisler's automotive in TN (spelling?). they convert your T56 tranny to use the forward position for the shifter. I'd hafta ditch my never-been-used Pro 5.0 shifter, but it's small sacrifice to be able to fit a 40/20/40 split bench in my truck from a late model GM truck.

Last edited by shifty`; 03-10-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Shifty,

I have a brand new front end kit for a 68-C10. I bought it by mistake while re-building the front end of the 68-C30 chassy I'm using for my 40 Dodge build. The kit has just about everything, all upper & lower control arms replacement parts, tie rods, etc.. Let me know if you want it. Only things not in the kit are front shocks & tie rod adjusters.
what would ya want for the inner/outer tie rods, center link, and idler arm?
im instrested, if shifty isnt.

when ya get that running, tell me what kinda gas mileage you get. shifty what are tou gonna do about mounting your fuel cell, more specifly the filler and hose? some people ( me included) are useing the rear reflecter as a flip open to fuel cap. if you are doing the same do you have to notch the frame?
im 99.9 % sure you'll have to get it tuned ( at least to remove vats, and eger,etc.) who are ya gonna go with?
you're progress is looking good, and your moving along fast. keep up the pace so when i hit a problem you'll be able to say "i did this"
looks good
Old 03-11-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

moving along slow! going nuts, it's taking too long - been working on it for almost 6 months now. had the truck for almost a year to the day.

i am thinking about the hidden behind-reflector setup on my truck. i have a link to a thread at the truck forum which shows how to do that install. i don't think it was necessary to notch the frame.

for tuning, i was looking into having FirstGen over at the truck forums tune things for me ... he was quoting $200 to go in and tweak everything on the PCM the first time around, but I started poking and found LS1edit is for sale at the LS1edit site for $450 (single VIN), so I was honestly thinking about buying it and doing everything myself - if I get a one-time $200 flash, if I ever need a reflash it's like ... $200 again. so in two flashes i coulda bought it.

i got the power steering hoses made today, looks nice, great fit. i stripped the threads on the fitting I was using on the low pressure line, so now i gotta find a replacement ( spent the last 2 hours looking ).

i am thinking about going out and hacking the crossmembers on the rear framerails and fitting up the tank and whatnot. we'll see how it goes. i will be takin pics of all that. i got the tank Line-X's today for $75 it looks KILLER. i really like it a lot. i have pictures of that also. again - will post later, i'm really trying to get as much possible done today. had to re-seat the window on my Acura earlier (trying to sell it) so haven't gotten as much done as i wanted.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here are some pictures of the line-x'd tank...still not installed yet, but the crossmembers are out. spent a lot of time cleaning up the engine and playing with the gas and clutch setup. Think I might have found a way to use the stock gas pedal, won't know till the cable comes in tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside-linextank-001.jpg   My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside-linextank-002.jpg   My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside-linextank-003.jpg  
Old 03-12-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good progress today. got the two rear xmembers out, ground the spot smooth (through the layers of freaking undercoating and paint), painted it, mocked up the tank in place (pics below).

first pic below shows the new hydraulic lines made to adapt the LS1 power steering setup to the new PS gearbox i put in the truck.

look at the last of the pictures - when the tank is bolted in place, the filler neck pops just up over the framerail and with it placed in the front of the tank, it's almost a direct line of sight to the reflector on the stepside fender. should be a near-perfect install.

i got the firewall cleaned up some today too, cleaned up the engine (bypassed the MAF water thing, removed the vapor recirculator thing just behind it, bolted the intake manifold down, etc.), cut off all my old exhaust hangers for the inline, cleaned up the garage and started playing around with the gas pedal setup. i can't for the life of me figure out how to setup the damned master cylinder for the clutch, it's going to be a bear.
Attached Thumbnails My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside-pshoses-004.jpg   My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside-tankinstall-002.jpg   My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside-tankinstall-003.jpg   My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside-tankinstall-006.jpg  
Old 03-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Looking good. I have been knee deep in remodeling 2 houses while starting a new career. The truck project keeps getting further down the road. So I live vicariously through you for now.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i wish i had more time to spend. i have surgery on wednesday and thursday of this week. hoping i can take off friday and get 3 days in working on it.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 68shortstep
what would ya want for the inner/outer tie rods, center link, and idler arm?
im instrested, if shifty isnt.

when ya get that running, tell me what kinda gas mileage you get. shifty what are tou gonna do about mounting your fuel cell, more specifly the filler and hose? some people ( me included) are useing the rear reflecter as a flip open to fuel cap. if you are doing the same do you have to notch the frame?
im 99.9 % sure you'll have to get it tuned ( at least to remove vats, and eger,etc.) who are ya gonna go with?
you're progress is looking good, and your moving along fast. keep up the pace so when i hit a problem you'll be able to say "i did this"
looks good
Were can I find some info on the reflector fuel filler? Thanks, Kade
Old 03-13-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkade72
Were can I find some info on the reflector fuel filler? Thanks, Kade
That and other killer mods and whatnot can be found in the FAQ forum over at 67-72chevytrucks.com. Here is a link to that mod in particular

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postid=599699

Not sure if you can see pics unless you're a registered member. It's worth taking a minute to register. If you find the site useful, donations are always welcome. There is an exorbinant amount of tutorials, howtos, pictures and information there regarding all makes and models of GM trucks.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Default .

How is this conversion going? I am about to start this exact conversion in a 2wd 72 Jimmy. What did you use for the clutch set up, did you adapt to your factory swing peddles? Motor mounts? Speedo? Gauges?
Thank you
Old 04-04-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Please read all five pages of the thread before posting questions - Most of your questions are already answered elsewhere in this thread. For the ones that aren't:

Gauges: Using manual gauges for water temp and oil pressure - not sure on speedo, but Keisler automotive makes an adapter to use a manual speedo also. I purchased the oil/water temp VDO gauge adapters from www.hotrodlane.cc for around $40. See the second and third pictures/descriptions on this page for more info on where they go: http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Streetstori...ls1camaro2.htm - you'll see that bolt for water temp on the back of the passenger's side head, it's got a 12mm bolt/thread and you need to adapt from 12mm to whatever pipe fitting your gauge uses. temp varies from front of the head to the back of the head from what i hear, so your temps may actually vary by ~10-20º from what you'd read at the water pump. the oil pressure tree there ... i don't know much about, but will learn. you could also tap for fuel pressure if you used an FPR like the Aeromotive 1000-A (i think that's the number), which comes with a port for tapping a fuel pressure gauge. Vacuum would probably be easy to tap using the former EGR vacuum tap on the back of the intake where the emissions sensors (above the rear two injectors on the intake, passenger's side) terminated.

Pedals: As stated inside this thread on one of the pages, the '71-'72 pedals will work fine with the stock truck throttle cable. Direct link up. Might need length adjustment for you, I have a '68, we use diff't pedals. I am going to dork around with shortening my cable and using the stock linkage and gas pedal.

Clutch setup: you'll need to read the thread to get the part number and more info on what i'm using for the clutch setup. info i haven't included: i am trying to use the stock '68 clutch pedal with the '01 LS1 master cylinder i purchased (as stated in thread on other pages). i'm going to try to fab brackets soon...this won't be done till the front clip goes back on the truck. i'm stumbling on the clutch part right now and fuel delivery...but i'm ordering the '99 Vette fuel filter/pressure regulator today along with the stock fuel line for an '01 Camaro/TA/FB.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

quick progress update...i updated pictures at my site starting on Page 6 (LINK).

i took the cab off using a cherrypicker, cleaned the frame up, removed the old body mounts (they were ate up!), got the tranny xmember bolted into place (talk about a PITA), finished dorking with the manifolds...more on that -- the '01 stock F-body (Camaro) manifolds fit great on the driver side but not the passenger side. i tried grinding down the lump on the passenger's side and it just wouldn't clear. i picked up some '98 F-body manifolds and they fit as if they were supposed to - i had some problems getting one of the manifold bolts in, and i'll need to re-check for alignment later. i am using the stock C/K pickup truck oil pan, pickup and dip stick, and it's a tight fit for the dip stick tube with the '01 manifolds, but it fits like a dream with the '98 stockers...i'm hoping i can use them.

i sent my PCM and harness off to Wait4Me Performance (forum member - www.wait4meperformance.com) for reprogramming and modifications @ $320. they arrived last wednesday, haven't heard a peep out of him yet about how long it will take. not sure if no communication normal or not. i also ordered the above listed parts from S&P (hotrodlane.cc) yesterday and haven't heard from them either. rant: i really wish people would learn how to communicate with customers

i had the power steering hoses grafted at the hydraulic shop on the south end of Atlanta (Forest Park). there are pictures of the hoses at my gallery and up above in post #87. they fit well, i test fitted them last week. i haven't gotten any more work done with the tank yet, but my replacement rear xmember arrived from ECE in the last two weeks, so I painted it up and I'm ready to install it.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

It took wait4me 14 days to do mine. If you havent hooked up a throttle cable yet the one from lokar works great, I installed mine today.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

what kinda Q&A did ya ask/get from jesse? and how does your ece end frame workout/look? is your eta on driveing it still lookin the same?
what mods to your pcm are ya doing?
this build thread needs a vid of your truck start up.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blazerboy72
It took wait4me 14 days to do mine. If you havent hooked up a throttle cable yet the one from lokar works great, I installed mine today.
I'm running a '68. Gas pedal assembly is different than a '72. '72 is a direct boltup from what I understand. I am sticking with the stock pedal, I'm going to shorten the cable to work with it I think. Just need to fab a bracket for the top of the intake manifold to hold the cable sheath.

PS - SWEET BLAZER! I've always wanted a blazer with a 68 front clip on it. I also see you live here in GA. Anywhere near ATL?

Originally Posted by 68shortstep
what kinda Q&A did ya ask/get from jesse? and how does your ece end frame workout/look? is your eta on driveing it still lookin the same?
what mods to your pcm are ya doing?
this build thread needs a vid of your truck start up.
The ECE/end frame is still not done -- my woman wanted me to pay attention to her last weekend, so I abstained from working on the truck entirely the past weekend. Instead, I shopped for parts - I got a 12mm -> 3/8" pipe fitting adapter for the rear of the passenger side head to use a mechanical temp gauge and also an adapter to use aftermarket oil pressure gauge (both from S&P - http://hotrodlane.cc ).

My ETA is still hopefully the same. It's mostly dependent upon getting the PCM and harness back at this point so I can put it in and get the front clip back on, which will have a snowball effect on everything else.

AFA Jesse goes - Honestly? I can't give the final verdict until I see the finished product. I'm not dissatisfied yet, but I'll tell you my experience so far; It might come off sounding negative, but nothing "bad" has happened yet, so ...: I think the service so far is "average"...it's not fantastic and it's not awful. I didn't hear much of anything as far as Q&A. In fact, several times I requested getting more info on what kind of mods are common for other people to do so I could get an idea of what I want to do with mine. I haven't received a list, I left him with my phone number several times and asked him to call, didn't hear a peep.

To get the ball rolling on sending him my stuff, I first messaged him here on the forum, no answer for 6-7 days (I emailed on the third day, got an answer in just under 48 hours - email is the way to go w/him). He gave me a price, I sent it in and shot him an email to let him know it was coming in and I'd pay in the next couple of hours, he sent an email back a couple of days later clarifying the price a couple of days after I already paid that price (guess he didn't see it in his paypal acct?). I included a note in the box and reiterated that in an email to him. I got confirmation from UPS that the box arrived and I haven't heard a peep from him since a few days before that. I guess I'm just supposed to run on blind faith?

Personally, I don't like it when I give a person several hundred dollars in cash and parts and they leave me hanging. It's not necessarily bad service, it's just inconsiderate. Like I said though - I'll wait to get the harness and PCM back and decide whether it was really worth the money. I know Speartech charges more, but they also do a wicked job with their harnesses, adding additional options and whatnot and it's equivocal to what you would get from Painless, but better. Their service is supposed to be top notch as well. Just not sure about paying twice as much for it, I'm really broke at this point

As far as what PCM/harness mods are being done - I honestly have NFC what is being done because he hasn't contacted me. I asked him to leave the O2 sensors there. I gave him a link to pictures of my project for reference of what's still on the engine, told him I took off the EGR and AIR stuff from the engine, I was doing the throttle body water bypass. Told him my gear ratio and details of my project. Told him there were no mods to the engine internally. I begged and pleaded with him in both my email and my note to get the VIN number to me as soon as humanly possible (out of the PCM) because I need to Carfax the vehicle for legal reasons with the guy I purchased from. Asked him to email or call....not sure if he has gotten that far or not.

I asked him to include a lead for cooling fans, fuel pump turn-on, check engine light lead, and a tap for diagnostics. I think that's everything. I left all this info in a note inside the box and in my original email and asked him to call me to talk to confirm some of this so he didn't hafta read a book or type a book back to me, basically. Phone has been silent as a door mouse, so has email. Maybe he's just backed up w/work? I really need that VIN. Really want to know what's happening For all I know it's on its way back.

I will let you know what gets done if/when I hear from him or get my stuff back. I'll also let you know if I'd ever do business again. So far on this project, everyone has been great - I would recommend any vendor I've dealt with except the guy who sold me the drivetrain. I'll include that info later.

Last edited by shifty`; 04-07-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

The blazer in my avatat isnt mine unfortunately. I had a picture of my 4wd and every time I would ask a guestion people assumed I was refering to my lifted blazer, so I replaced it with one closer to my 2wd that is getting the 5.3. Im in paulding county which isnt far from atlanta.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got word back from Jesse last night. He's ready to ship my harness. Reiterated I needed my VIN number from the PCM and gave him shipping address. Not sure what's going on, emailed this morning, still no word back
Old 04-09-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

still no word back.

Quick Reply: My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside