Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 and tremec TKO?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I found what I'm looking for. Uk thans for the info on the hydraulic but I will try this first. I have shorty headers so I hope I will not have a problem with clearance. I hink this bracket will bolt up to the bellhousing.

Vistit our Scoggin Dickey Parts Center store

Z-Bar Pivot for 502

The SDPC Exclusive Clutch pivot ball brackets are for use on Generation V & VI blocks. These pivot brackets provide proper mounting position and alignment of your Z-bar on all GM cars and pick-ups. The super strong brackets can handle the high pressures of racing clutches. A longer bracket is available for use on corvettes. Pivot ball is included.

SDPC Clutch Pivot Ball Brackets
Part # Part Name Price
SDCB Clutch Pivot Ball Bracket for GM Cars and Trucks $59.95 Add to Order
SDCBV Clutch Pivot Ball Bracket for Corvettes $59.95 Add to Order
Old 09-19-2005, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a pic of the clutch Z-bar pivot ball bracket that I made. Mine is the long style for a Corvette, it looks like the short style for everything else will put the Z-bar back far enuf to clear most manifolds or headders. Stan
Attached Thumbnails ls1 and tremec TKO?-clutch-pivot.jpg  
Old 10-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

I cant seem to find the part number for this required pilot bushing.

Anyone have it?

thanks,
-chris
Old 10-07-2005, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Lots of good stuff in this thread.

Anybody think any of these ideas could be used in my Mustang Swap? What's the deal with this Z bar thing? How's that work? Does it use a cable? Would it work with the T56?

Still hung up on getting the T56 to work in my Mustang...
Old 10-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Just went ahead and put the order in for my TKO!!!!!

gonna need that pilot bushing/bearing number. If I find it ill post it here obviously.

I plan on using the stock style clutch fork setup. Not sure what kind of clutch im supposed to buy. An ls1 clutch kit? a regular small block kit?

this is all speculation. Cant wait to get it and start meassuring.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey chris working on the same set up, from what i have done so farr. used s&p motor mounts (make mine next time,save money) stainless headers, fit nice with stock steering box. lakewooed bell for sbc, not ls1 bell. it bolts up except for 2 bolts down on the oil pan, centerforce df clutch 26 spline. the z bar looks like it will be a mod job. don`t have the clutch in yet but went and orderd a extended brass pilot bushing. the engine was used. so wanted to here it run first and check where shifter would be. mike
Old 10-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Call Forte or five speed trans for the bushing. They both know about it. I've been busy with other stuff so I have not done mine yet. They can also help with the clutch and you can order the bracket for the Z bar and let me know how it works
Old 11-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

well I called mike. No information about the bushing. I was told essentially ill need an expensive bellhousing, an expensive "conversion flywheel", and his external slave assembly. No answers about the bushing or the possibility of reusing stock style components (ie ls1 flywheel, regular aluminum bell etc).

All of this came as a shock to me. Those parts are expensive.... ive already spent so much. I gotta figure this out soon. Only time ill really have time to mess with the car is over the winter break. Need to have the special order parts in hand or im stuck untill summer probably. Im wishing right now that I would have just rebuilt the l98 instead of this huge money drain of a conversion.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Chris,

You can use a stock bellhousing but if you do you will need a special flywheel thats about 400. You do not need that Ls1 bellhousing. You can call Mcleod if you can get through or try Jeff at classicfivespeed. Go over to pro touring and you can ask the question and I know a few guys that have done it on this site.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

found a long pilot bearing from day motor sports in texas, did not try it yet. but the part #is pb-6500 $10.99. with the lake bell my imput shaft on my tko is about 1/2 inch to short. the input shaft is in the stock ls1 bearing about 1/4 inch,i think the long bearing will work. will find out tomorrow lol mike
Old 12-08-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by weranc55
Well if there isnt one then I will need to go hydraulic and will need advise on that.

Thanks
Had an SDPC catalog somewhere and in it it had a z bar pivot ball that mounted to the bell housing. It was basically a bracket for the late model BBC's that didn't have the block mounting provision for the ball stud. Ah crap, I can't explain it. Just look here.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/1006...l-Brackets.htm
Old 12-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

I called Mcleod. By far the most knowledgeable person Ive spoken to about this conversion. The part number for the bushing is 8617. He told me several ways in which I could complete this swap. He is hard to get a hold off but well worth it. Very courteous and respectful as well.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Chris,
Let us know what he had to say.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a copy and paste from my post on this last year:
I just test fit a new Lakewood blow proof #15005 to my LQ4 fit good except for some minor grinding near the top of the block for the nut on the block plate. This may not be an issue with the aluminum block LS1 & LS6. It also comes with a machined adapter that presses into the back of the crank to use a standard pilot bushing. Instead of the adapter and bronze pilot bushing I used a GM pilot bearing #12557583 which is a sealed ball bearing , everything fits perfectly and it cost less than $10.00 . Much less than some dealers want for the adapter to use the old-style bushing. This bellhousing even has a bracket on it so I can mount a bracket for my clutch cross shaft. This bell will ONLY bolt up to Muncie,Borg Warner T-10 , Doug Nash , and other transmissions with the old style bolt pattern.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

hey militant x is that a gm part # ???? mike
Old 12-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

thats a mcleod number.

Essentially, he suggested that if I could find a big block bellhousing that I should just use that (most economical). They do have conversion flywheels which aid in getting everything to line up properly but are not required. If I use a different flywheel the install will not be as simple... I could use an adjustable ball stud for example, to compensate. (This is what I understood)

There is also one issue with the 6.0 motors. If your engine is a 2000 model this information might not be accurate.

Im still not sure which way I would like to go.

The lakewood 15005 looks nice, but it is setup for a mechanical clutch. Im guessing id have to fab a mount for the slave... or run a hydraulic throwout.

Quick Reply: ls1 and tremec TKO?