Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TTT i have an MS4 cam kit fs .. all the stuff needed for it also ... \

Lets hear about the progress so far?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default and now its for sale...

Originally Posted by Gen3Benz
Did you end up using the cobra rear diff cover?
Have you seen the explorer diff cover?
Send me a PM if you still have that Explorer rear cover for sale. Thanks. We need to round one up for a similar swap (Cobra IRS into BMW E36). Haven't broken the BMW rear diff... yet... but its probably going to happen with a 7.0L LS1 driving it instead of a stock LS1.

====================

Just read this entire thread. Wow... what a "journey". Its like a fight on Jerry Springer in half of these posts, with grammar and spelling (and the best part: incorrect corrctions!) that would make even the youngest 10 year old crackhead internet poster proud.

Some "interesting" choices for mods completely unrelated to the LS1 swap may have stalled the entire project: Air ride suspension, shaved door handles, what is that - scissor doors?! "The T56 will fit the stock trans tunnel" then of course it doesn't, and was never finished. How does it mount? Stock manifolds, then "but I'll make my own". The plasma torched rear chassis for a "solid axle" then replaced by a Cobra IRS diff... One motor, then another, first with a turbo, now nitrous. The cheap Jegs fuel cell and the "cage" welded by Ray Charles. Damn...

Scope Creep beat the hell outta this project. Why not finish it without turbos or nitrous or anything crazy? You could have gotten it going a lot sooner if you kept the R160 (or did an R180 STi swap) rear diff and half shafts, left the cage mess out, and didn't gut the car and chassis all to hell. Sorry, but it sure looks like you bit off more than you could finish.

I wish you luck selling it for $8000 - really, I hope someone buys and fixes/finishes this swap. One thing to note - you are asking $1000 for second hand fuel system parts that you admit to paying $400 for in this very thread. You might want to edit that post.

I have to admit I am struggling to even understand the reasons behind doing this swap - and I think the LS1 is a perfect engine for damn near any car. The Subaru Impreza chassis just really isn't very spectacular on its own - its a pretty mediocre car without the AWD set-up - but the STI's 300hp AWD turbo drivetrain makes up for a lot. It works well in some forms of racing because of the rally inspired AWD system and 3 diffs. Taking out the bulky boxer 4 and front heavy transaxle and R180 diff makes sense to a small degree, but the LS1+T56 have to add back as much or more front heavy mass to the chassis, and you lose the AWD advantage. I don't think this car would ever approach 2500 pounds with driver, without Lexan and other major weight saving compromises. We have weighed lots of Subarus and they just don't get that light without major surgery.

I sort of understand the move to the Cobra IRS diff but it doesn't look very well mounted and w/o half shafts its still going to cost some $ to sort out and finish. Maybe add more pictures of this + the trans tunnel, if they were ever completed or modified. Those two areas look to need the most re-work, according to the early pictures.

Again, best of luck in getting this chassis into the hands of someone who will finish it.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

<-lost...
where does it say this car is being sold?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
<-lost...
where does it say this car is being sold?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-lsx-powered-only/827508-gauging-interest-02-subaru-wrx-set-up-ls1-drivetrain.html

Originally Posted by LS1_boostdscoob

gauging interest: 02 Subaru WRX set up for LS1 drivetrain

this is for a rolling chassis, full interior minus front seats.
comes with 18" SSR wheels, full air ride, 8-10 point cage.
also have a new wilwood rack and pinion, lots of extras..

needed to finish:
LS1 drivetrain, driveshaftshop axles, fuel system, front seats, brake lines.. some other small miscellaneous items... would say after motor and tranny youd need 3K to finish...
i was quoted $1800 for 800 hp axles with chromoly throughout and chromoly hubs.

Fuel System can be had with the purchase of the car for an additional $1000

$8000.00 for Shell. will include everything i have for it except for motor and tranny...
$9000.00 for Shell, any and all items subaru related, and entire Fuel System..

if anyone is interested give me a call, send me a pm or yahoo message
937-554-9045, rwd_importdragon@yahoo.com

please no comments from the peanut gallery.. i found something that i can get as early as January.. only reason im selling

im losing serious money on this... just want to see if anyone is interested..

title is clear by the way...shouldnt be hard to get a loan..
including the motor and tranny would cost an additional $5000.00

pics on my photobucket album:
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/boostdscoob/
Old 12-11-2007, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

Fuel system was around $1700.. the fuel pump and regulator i got for $400.... the fittings and all the line were $1070 and then the fuel rails which were $100.. plus some other small things...
Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

first off this cars been a 3 year project.. kids and a house have killed my dreams slowly but surely...
i did not do the cage or the rear...
they are aligned, the tranny tunnel also did not need cut, i didnt do that part either... everything is lined up with .001 degrees... the cage welds are a little messy but, cost probably played into effort... anyway, the pics make it look a lot worse.. anyone who can weld and has good mechanical knowledge should be able to get this car going with less than 40 hours of work...
the only reason i am not bothering, not enough time, and ive sort of lost interest(due to discouragement...) im this close but im still that far away.. alot of changes have happened in the last year and im ready for one too..
If i dont get the $$$ i want for it, then i'll part it out....
i have another project that will require a lot less $$ and time... so im moving on, the car will sit till its sold or i end up taking it apart and parting it out..
im starting a business and will eventually havE $$$ To finish it... might just end up getting done, but for now id rather sell it...
oh and to any interested buyers, i can have the trunk panels welded in and looking good upon request.. nothing but a few calls..
now if we can move on to people that might want to buy it?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

even better, i'll just open a paypal account and everyone send me $2 and then i'll finish it..lol
Old 12-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Man, I was hoping the swap would pan out 4 ya. It's stories like this one that keep me from attempting any sort of swap into my Elk. Well, that and my complete lack of skill, money, and motivation.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Any updates on this?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

that thing is gonna be bad ***!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
that thing is gonna be bad ***!
Uhhh.....did you read the above 4 posts?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

no, now I did, oops, sorry! that really sux I wanted to make my 60 corvair into a front engine rwd ls1 car but this is what I was afraid of, better luck next time, and always remember its just a car
Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Teching In

i think i own this very car now????
Old 04-29-2009, 04:56 AM
Teching In

Question

is there any way you could pm me any more info on this vehicle?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

that is going to be a mean machine...

Quick Reply: just got my LS1 for my subaru WRX