Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering taking the plunge--> LS1--> 56 Chevy Convert.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Considering taking the plunge--> LS1--> 56 Chevy Convert.

LS1 Conversion alert

I am considering doing a conversion from my 350/700R4 with B&M 144 blower to an LS1. Anyone around here that's done it in a '56?

I've done a lot of reading here past couple days, and see things that raise questions, around what tranny to use; possibly doing my own PCM and wiring conversion; etc.

While I have read a lot of good info, and will continue to browse around, I would welcome and appreciate any input anyone would like to provide related to:
  • Overall info to consider for putting an LS1 and a 4L60E (or other?) tranny into a 56 Chevy Convertible
  • Things to consider related to my trying to do the PCM work and tuning by purchase of something like HP Tuner and my own harness mods vs. purchase of harness, etc.
  • Type of shifter to use. My current one is a B&M Mega shifter. Maybe I'll find I can use it.
  • Engine Dress up
  • Fuel tank and delivery considerations. Of course the original '56 fuel tank does not have fuel return facilities. Can I use my Holley 130gph Electric Fuel Pump? Or does it NEED to be in the tank?
  • Cooling considerations. I have a Griffin Aluminum one on it now. Separate small radiator/fan under chassis for tranny.
  • Recommend Headers vs. stock exhaust. Need them to work with 605 Power Steering box. I currently have block hugger headers, and dual exhaust. Do I need to plan to have some facilitation for a Y in the exhaust?
  • Recommended accessories: Power Steering, Alternator, A/C. For example, I have a chrome single wire alt on my 350. Will it work on this engine?
  • Motor mount considerations
  • Anything else you want to tell me (Careful there)

By the way, I have contacted Street and Performance, and they have a free DVD that supposedly tells me everything I need to know to do this. It's on the way to me.

If I can do a lot of this myself, assuming I use due dilligence, without expecting to shoot myself in the foot, I prefer to do that and save money. On the other hand, things that are recommended I just spend the money on, then I'd like to hear that.

By the way, my goals are:
  • Good smooth running engine
  • Reliable
  • Good performance
  • Great mileage
  • Reliability
  • Great looking engine compartment

I realize some of the above can possibly be mutually exclusive. Ultimately I need to prioritize what I want vs. what I'd give up.

Thanks for your thoughts, and looking forward to your input.

Roger

Last edited by ewingr; 09-16-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will love your decision with the ls1, as fare as the trany (4l60e) I have a 99 ss and that has h/c and I have been threw maaaaany tranys. For my retro in my 79 im going with m6 for the fun and for the hope that it will hold with no problems. I used my stock tank with a sump with a external a1000. For the exhaust im using coated pacesetters to a doctor gas x and dumped. Well either way you will enjoy what ever you choose. Good luck and post some pics
ps here some of my motor
Attached Thumbnails Considering taking the plunge--> LS1--> 56 Chevy Convert.-motor1.jpg   Considering taking the plunge--> LS1--> 56 Chevy Convert.-fule-rails.jpg  

Quick Reply: Considering taking the plunge--> LS1--> 56 Chevy Convert.