Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GNX7's RX7 w/LS1 in SCC magazine

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to tell you that you've inspired me.

No, seriously. I'm ready to get rid of my '04 Z right now and follow your footsteps. In fact, I'm in the process of looking at an RX-7 with 32k original miles (running order, everything seems to be in working condition). I can imagine that after so much work you wouldn't want someone to come in and knock it off completely. But seeing as how you're in San Francisco and I'm in the appalachains, and I'd promise to give it a different color, maybe you wouldn't mind.

I do have a couple questions though.
How much was the car when you started with it?
How much was the conversion, if you discount the motor (which will have to be sourced by availability anyhow)?
How many hours did it take you to do alone (so I can get a shop/labor estimate)?
Do you have any tips as to where to start on a project like this?

I hope this doesn't come across as the typical newbie question, and I've been an Z fanatic since before it's release and a delighted owner for about a year. I've spent countless hours combing for Z resources, info, websites, etc. I hope it doesn't come across as a light decision for me to be so interested. You've got an amazing car, due to a variety of circumstances, it's exactly what I'm looking to get into. I know you must've explained your car 100x to people just like me, but I hope my questions aren't too intrusive. Thanks in advance.

If you don't want to list them on here, email to birkett@vt.edu or my AIM screenname is birkettFORS. Thanks again
Old 10-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Teching In

(BTW, there's a reason that was my first post, I joined this forum just yesterday to begin looking for what information I'll need.)
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Landbarger
(BTW, there's a reason that was my first post, I joined this forum just yesterday to begin looking for what information I'll need.)
Join this forum also...if you haven't already.

http://www.torquecentral.com/

Lots of info on the swap.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gnx7 - do you ever visit www.norcal-ls1.com?

there are 2 members on there with rx7's with ls1's in them.

would love to see your car one day. maybe you can check out the site and come to a GTG one day.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

got that issue, sweet car! when dose the next issue come out??
Old 10-14-2005, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Woooooooooooooooooo! I was pullin for you before i knew you were a member here! i hope you waxed their 6-4cyl drivin' asses. Sweet ****** ride btw. if my T/A werent so damn sexy i would consider building an LS1/FD myself.

Todd
Old 10-15-2005, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

hey i just got the issue with the results! good job my congrats on winning the skidpad great #s for sure-1.095g. overall 7th place with 800 points is pretty good too consitering the comp. good all around performace man but sounds like you'd have done a little better with more prep time huh?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

he would have waxed them if he had poured half of what most of those teams did into his machine. congrats!
Old 10-18-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 168 Likes on 111 Posts

Blackbird- I am gnx7 on that board. Don't visit there much.

Thanks for the props on the results. My car was far from finished and it was a shell needing lots of love with no interior a few months prior to the event. Just got it running 3 weeks before the challenge. Time is the enemy and I needed more... plus some money for paint/stereo/cage wouldn't hurt.

My goal was to do well on the road course and skipad. I did that and I'm happy with the results. After going thru the contest this time I know some of the "tricks" to do better if there is ever a next time around. Drafting for fuel economy behind your trailer for example....

There were some incredible cars at the challenge and I was a little out of my league. But for a homebuilt budget car I drive to work 60+ miles everyday rain/shine I'm happy. Just did a trip to SoCal and back 1100 miles+ without a hitch on the same tires from the event with a little over $20K total in the car doing all the work myself.
Poor results:
Dyno- nitrous WOT switch wasn't working right so it was n/a 439rwhp
braking- ABS unit no worky.... need to fix
interior- needs some love.. big time
1/4 mile- I have 3:90's and need 3:07's to get any traction on street tires. Solution is a Viper Dana 44 diff I have... just need time/$$$ to install it.

I know these are excuses.. but I simply wanted to prove that an RX-7 with LS1 power can handle awesome and hauls butt on a small sized budget. My coilovers were used and I had a blown shock. 1.13g's in one direction and 1.06 the other way on the skidpad. Would've been 1.13g average... oh well.

I had a great time and it was just incredible to be in the event. Met some cool people and the only way to really dominate that event is to put another $10-25K into my car. I'm just happy to actually really drive the car anywhere and everywhere. Trying to save up for a house in California is my main focus now. Crazy expensive out here. Car comes 2nd.

I love my RX-7!

Quick Reply: GNX7's RX7 w/LS1 in SCC magazine