Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firstgen Transmission mount in PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005 | 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Firstgen Camaro Transmission mount in PICS!

Got my competition engineering universal mount in. worked excellent. After hearing everyone on a thread arguing away about what to get, i sent back my YearOne one because it didnt fit, and i'm very very impressed with this kit. Just used my sawzall to cut off the sides of the very heavy gauge pipe to fit, drilled 3/4 inch hole to mount the bolts, welded the bolt mounts to angle iron, and bolted those to the frame. Then all i had to do was set the angle for transmission, and weld in the mount. Here's a few pics.
I'd recommend this to anyone with the proper equipment (sawzall, chop saw preferable instead, welder, HEAVY drill, angle grinder, drill press if you want perfection... If i'm 17 and aint that good at welding, im sure most could do it.

I'll take better pics when i have the time. Just got this done este noche. took me about 5 hours.

olly

Last edited by 67RSCamaroVette; 09-30-2005 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Adding to title
Old 09-30-2005 | 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

i did the same thing. it may have been some of my post that you were reading anyway i cut about 2" out of the center of mine and made a pivot for it to rotate on. i have not installed it yet but i have test fit and will be nice!!

Old 09-30-2005 | 12:29 PM
On The Tree

How did you figure the angle with it being out of the car?
Old 09-30-2005 | 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ahowudoin
How did you figure the angle with it being out of the car?
i am not sure how he did it but all you would have to do is set the frame level. angle the engine tail down about 2.5*. when you install it in the car you will have to level the car so the frame is level, then turn the rear up 2.5*
Old 09-30-2005 | 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I did was pull out the frame, chop about 5 in from each side of the xmember, rotated it till it was near the frame, bolted on the trans mount to the little metal piece, centered the tube, tack welded it, then I used a little gauge which i'll post pics of, to set the frame level, then transmission about 3 degrees down, then set in my angle iron, and cut it to fit. I then drilled the two big bolt holes through the tube, welded the inserts in, bolted the bolts in, and tack welded them to the angle iron already bolted to the frame. I then took it all off, welded it best i could, then shot it with some rust-oleum. Worked great, and i saved $150 off the crappy YearOne one. This material is HEAVY!
olly
Old 09-30-2005 | 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here're the pics. The little dial thingy is a level courtesy of harbor freight tools. 5 bucks i believe, and its magnetic, so it won't fall off easily.

Olly
Old 09-30-2005 | 11:43 PM
Staging Lane
15 Year Member

So does the rear of the trans. need to be angled up or down 3 degrees? Just wondering, I'm a little confused.
Old 10-01-2005 | 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Down 2 1/2 degrees. I did about 2 3/4... shouldnt matter, i dont think. if its a problem, i'll jsut throw a spacer in the mount or something.
olly