Sponsored by:

a/c compressor dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default a/c compressor dimensions

Can anybody tell me the dimensions of the compressor from a camaro? Also from the block lower mounting hole to the most outer point of the compressor on the passenger side of the car on a camaro ls1? I have the engine sitting in the frame and I want to notch the frame for the compressor. Also can anyone tell me the location of the drive belt for a camaro compressor at the crank pulley? Distance from somewhere on the front of the motor to the crank pulley that runs the compressor. Any close up pics of the compressor on the motor from a camaro would be a big help. Do the hoses on the camaro compressor come out of the back? Thanks
Old 10-03-2005, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Default comp. dim.

what u are putting it in will make some difference but it will need to be notched 14.5 inches out from the center of the crank and the lower you set the motor in the deeper the notch is. you can take a look at some pic that i have by following this link and using the password ( hammerhead )

67 camaro restoversion
Old 10-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

I am putting this in a 71 camaro. The motor is a 04 gto. The hoses on the a/c compressor come out of the side at a 45 degree angle, right into the frame below the a arm. I was wondering where the hoses come out of the camaro compressor, if it is in the same place or out the top or back? thanks
Old 10-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

The Camaro / Firebird (2000) outlets are on the back. The Corvette outlets are on the side, looking to be centered vertically (based on engine cutaways).
Old 10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Camaro compressor is also smaller in diameter than the Corvette/GTO compressor and has a smaller diameter pulley. I presume tha the reason for the smaller diameter pulley is to spin the smaller compressor faster since it is a smaller unit.
I put a LS2 GTO motor in a chassis and it would not clear, but when I switched to an older F body compressor, it fit like a glove! The rear exit on the compressor runs very close to the early style GM motor mounts, but with a little grinder work, it clears fine.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

Are all the camaro compressors the same size? Will the compressor pulley line up with the pulley on the crank of the gto? thanks
Old 10-04-2005, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out my thread on my LS1 swap. I knotched my frame to clear the A/C compressor and it is the FBody version. There are close up pictures of the compressor and frame before and after the notch.

Thread: LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino, see pages 4 and 5 for the pictures.

I measured the compressor body from back to front right at the back of the pulley at 6".
Centerline to centerline of the upper two mounting bolts at 2-5/8".
Centerline to centerline of the lower two mounting bolts at 2-11/16".

The Camaro or Fbody accessory pulleys are different from the Corvette or the Truck. So I would imagine that the GTO is different as well. I would suspect that the Fbody compressor will bolt up the to the GTO LS1 and all you would have to do is change the front pulley from the GTO to the Fbody compressor. That is just a speculation on my part you will have to compare them to see.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

I don't mean to hi jack this thread but I am in the same situation. I have a C5 motor and having problem with the AC compressor also and I am looking for a skinnier one to put on. Does anyone know if the Camaro compressor mount to the C5 bracket without modification? Perhaps I might just need the Camaro compressor and its mounting bracket. Thanks for any info.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Remember there are at least there crank pulley offsets (numbers are from memory)
Corvette - 1/2"
F body - 3/4"
truck - 2 1/4"

So there may need to be some front to back movement to get the pullewys to line up.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Launching!

lso I would like to know if the LS2 Gto bracket is like the C6 one, meaning it only has a belt tensioner and no idler pully on it. Hope this helps. Bye
Old 10-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Launching!

My last post got messed up. The CTS V accessories are similar to Fbody ones but sit closer to the engine at the same depth as the Corvette ones from what I read. The CTS V compressor and bracket may work for some people. The Fbody compressor will fit on a Corvette bracket from what I read also if you change the clutch to a Vette one and put a small spacer behind the rear mounting bolt ear. Maybe John McGraw will verify that the GTO accesories are the same depth as the Fbody ones and if the LS2 compressor bracket is like the C6 one with only a belt tensioner and no idler pully. Also what chassis did he put the LS2 engine in. Bye for now
Old 10-05-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the F body compressor fit and lined up correctly without changing the clutch. I did have to trim the back off of the bracket to clear the early style GM motor mounts and adapter plates, but this part of the bracket does not appear to add any strength to the bracket once the bracket is bolted to both the block and the compressor. And yes, the drive arrangement on the LS2 is just like the F body with the same tensioner assembly. I do not know whether the Corvette LS2 is like the earlier LS1 engines with a different pulley setback, but the GTO LS2 is the same as the F body. The LS2 is going in a 65 Corvette with a SRIII tube chassis. It uses C5 front suspension and Dana 44 C4 rear suspension. Here are some pics of the clearance and of the chassis.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1342584

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Hi John: Nice car, thanks for the information. Looks like you have a lot of clearence between the frame with the compressor. The people with the Gbody cars and 3rd gen Camaros have been looking for an easy and cheap way to mount the compressor in the stock location without frame notching. This looks like it might work. If anyone trys this bracket in a 3rd gen or Gbody post up and let us know if it works along with what motor mounts you are using. Thanks.

Quick Reply: a/c compressor dimensions