Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QA1's with an LS1 in 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QA1's with an LS1 in 69 Camaro

Sorry I know this is not engine related, but I thought I would ask.

I have QA1 coil overs and and Speedtech upper/lower control arms for my front suspension. I am running and LS1-T56 (which is ~200 #'s lighter than a SBC combo) and I want my car to sit right as far as stance.

I was sold the Big Block springs by Speedtech, even though at the time of purchase I knew I was going to run a Small Block, he said it would be fine. Later after my LS1 install I was worried about ride height since I want my front to sit low (Ex. Streetking's black '69) Speedtech again told me my BB springs would be fine with the LS1.

We'll the car is at the shop as we speak waiting for a new pair of SB front coils for the QA1's, which I am still not even sure will work.

Does anybody have a QA1 setup with an LS1 and if they do, how did you get your car to sit the way it is. Did you have to mod anything else?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Teching In

i would say just get an adjustable coil over so you can set the ride hieght yourself.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Rybar-
You are talking about the QA1 setup like Global sells? It isn't a true coil over in the sense that spring still sits in the upper frame pocket, not contained in the shock, correct?
If so, Speedtech is correct that the front springs will work from a BBC, but the rate will be more race car suited, than street driving. We at ATS are a high spring rate, soft swaybar crew. We typically run a 650# spring on a small block, which is what DSE gives out for BBC.
The lower you put the coil over ring on the car, the lower it sits. The higher up on the shock the ring is, the higher the car will be.
Don't mess with the ride height or trimming of the springs until after you have driven the car. The springs will settle, and you should monitor the ride heigth every week, until it no longer drops. Then tailor the coil over to the desired height, and if needed, trim a 1/4 coil at a time until you get it dead on.

Tyler
Old 10-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Teetoe_Jones
Rybar-
You are talking about the QA1 setup like Global sells? It isn't a true coil over in the sense that spring still sits in the upper frame pocket, not contained in the shock, correct?
If so, Speedtech is correct that the front springs will work from a BBC, but the rate will be more race car suited, than street driving. We at ATS are a high spring rate, soft swaybar crew. We typically run a 650# spring on a small block, which is what DSE gives out for BBC.
The lower you put the coil over ring on the car, the lower it sits. The higher up on the shock the ring is, the higher the car will be.
Don't mess with the ride height or trimming of the springs until after you have driven the car. The springs will settle, and you should monitor the ride heigth every week, until it no longer drops. Then tailor the coil over to the desired height, and if needed, trim a 1/4 coil at a time until you get it dead on.

Tyler
Tyler,

Yes you are correct, it's the same design setup as Global as you have described. I know how to adjust the height, at full drop right now with the BB springs the car still needs to drop about 2". The part # I have is GMP13, and I am swapping in the springs from the GMP14 kit. I was not aware you can cut the coils for this kit since they are tapered from upper to lower and they have a flat surface on the shock ring end. I would look into your AFX spindle, but I don't think it will work with my Speedtech C5 brake brackets.

I want my car to sit like SW's:

http://www.fototime.com/243E529D2C6CC3D/orig.jpg
Old 10-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Launching!

The coils on those kits can't be cut with very good results. Do you have all the weight on the car?
Also, our AFX spindle will do away with the bracket, so that the caliper itself bolts directly to the spindle.

Tyler
Old 10-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Teetoe_Jones
The coils on those kits can't be cut with very good results. Do you have all the weight on the car?
Also, our AFX spindle will do away with the bracket, so that the caliper itself bolts directly to the spindle.

Tyler
I didn't think those springs could be cut with thier awkward shape? I guess it's not the correct way anyways. I have about 95% of the weight on the car.

I guess I'll see how it sits with the SBC springs, and then determine if it needs to go down more.

Thats cool news about the AFX, so I can ditch the Speedtech brackets and bolt my C5 calipers right up? And stock steering arms/hubs etc bolt right on? I'll see how it sits, and if It's too high I'll be in contact with you for a set of those spindles.

Thanks for all your help Tyler.

Ryan
Old 10-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Yep, you can bolt the calipers/rotors directly to the spindle. It uses the stock steering arm, and the hubs are seal units from a C5. The hubs come with the spindles.
Tyler
Old 10-07-2005, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tyler, when???, for some reason, I'am always asking, will they be released, after SEMA?? you have any real time pics yet, Thanks Steve

See, I need to buy brackets for my conversion C5 Caliper to a C4 rotor 13" wide, I'd rather buy a spindle/hub version,
Old 10-08-2005, 03:01 AM
Teching In

I have the QA1 coilovers with small block springs in my LS1 68 bird, and the ride height is easily adjusted to the perfect height. I can adjust it from virtually dragging the front end on the ground, to riding higher than factory ride height. So I would say that you will be happy once you get the new springs in.

Quick Reply: QA1's with an LS1 in 69 Camaro