Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to convert independent turn light to brake /turn light

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trying to convert independent turn light to brake /turn light

I am using the 98 Z 28 wiring in my conversion, and want to convert the independent turn light it has, into the combinded turn/brake light the el camino has. I bought a "taillight converter" from NAPA, made by hoppy.
I can not make it work, and it also has a limit of 2.1 amps(1 bulb) per side, so if I hook up a trailer too, it will overload it. I found a "powered taillight converter" that will run 5 amps, but before I go buy it, I thought that I would see if anyone has overcome this problem and would share there solution.
I thought about putting amber bulbs in the back up lights and using them, but then I would have to add replacement back up lights somewhere else, and I would still need to convert for trailer lighting anyway.

I am getting close to being able to drive it after 3 years of fun. I just keep finding new problems, like everyone here has.

Thanks for your help!
Bruce
Old 10-22-2005, 12:54 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I own a 1986 El Camino and I have a full wiring diagram for it maybe I can help. However I don't think I fully understand your issue. Which light and what are you trying to make it do?

The factory lighting on all cars should work fine and if you want make some lights work like another group of lights it would simply be a matter of connecting them properly to that new group of lights.

Again I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. If I could look at a wiring diagram for you car I could help you solve your issue. Do you have a copy you could post or email?
Old 10-22-2005, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for replying. I am sorry that I was not very clear of my problem.

I am using the 98 camaro wiring harness, dash board, steering column, etc.
The 98 camaro has a amber color turn signals on the rear of the car that is seperate from the brake lights. So, the brake lights always comes on with the brakes and stays on. The amber turn signal lights only comes on with the turn signal.

My '67 el camino has one brake/park light per side as a lot of older cars have.
The brake light is used for the turn signal also. The brake light wires run through the steering coulmn to the turn signal switch on the '67, and the switch makes the brake light a turn light when swiched.

So, at the rear of the car, I now have 1 wire for brake lights, 1 wire for turn signal lights, and 1 wire for park lights per side. The original wiring harness had 1 wire for brake/turn, and 1 wire for park. I hope that makes more sense.
I don't want to rewire the steering column etc, I wanted to use diodes and relays at the rear of the car hopefully to avoid hacking into the factory harness and switches.
I do have a wiring diagram, and I will try to post it latter.

Have you ever weighed your el camino? That year seems like it would be very light. You must have permagrin now that you are driving yours! congrats on your accomplishment.

Thanks again.

Last edited by elesquan; 10-22-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

ACtually, you can convert to the 93-96 style taillight wiring. It will involve simply cutting/adding a wire up by the brake pedal. I'm leaving right now to go build a harness for an LS1 56 Chevy. PM me and I'll give you the specifics when I get home tonight. No converter required; very easy...

Ryan

Quick Reply: Trying to convert independent turn light to brake /turn light