Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quirky gas tank issue while filling up....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Quirky gas tank issue while filling up....

I went to fill up the tank today and to my suprise the gas handle would trip out as if the tank was full. Gas would splash out of the neck and on the ground as if the tank was full but it only had a 1/4 tank. I had to barely squeese the handle to get it to accept gas. Weird!

The gas tank is a new FI tank and I did notice the neck seemed to have a little more curve. The top of the neck is pressed up against the bottom of the car at the gas tank door openning and is wedged pretty tight compared to my old one.

The only thing I can guess is that there must be low section between the tank and the lowest section of the neck that is pooling up gas causing it to back up faster than go into the tank. Just a theory right now I will have to investigate it tomorrow. Hopefully I can bend it to solve the issue if that is the problem. I hope there isn't anything wrong on the inside of the tank as I rather not have to drop the tank now after I just got it driveable.

Has anyone seen this type of problem?
Old 10-22-2005, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I see that I wasn't the only one to run into this problem. The new tank (aftermarket) I bought for my Cutlass conversion did the exact same thing. It took forever to fill it up. What seems to be the problem is a combination of the filler neck extends too far into the tank itself and a lack of venting. Since I didn't want to weld on a tank that had been exposed to gasoline, I bought another new tank ( )and welded a 3/4" bung on the tank body next to the filler neck. I welded another 3/4" bung on the filler neck just below the cap threads. A piece of rubber fuel hose and two clamps connect the two bungs. This allows the air in the tank to be displaced and vented above the gas pump nozzle as the gas is pumped into the tank. Most other cars already have a vent line like this from the factory. After doing this mod, I can run the gas pump wide open.

BTW, congrats on getting your Elco running!
Old 10-22-2005, 10:08 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nooooooooo not you too. Where did you buy your tank from, I bought mine from 1A Auto and it does the same thing. I have to fill it on the slowest setting It is really driving me INSANE since this is my daily driver and I fill it up about once a week. I keep forgetting to call up 1A Auto and tell them exactly what I think of their tank I don`t know if they will fix anything or send me a tank that works correctly but at least it would make me feel better
Old 10-23-2005, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G-Body
Nooooooooo not you too. Where did you buy your tank from, I bought mine from 1A Auto and it does the same thing. I have to fill it on the slowest setting It is really driving me INSANE since this is my daily driver and I fill it up about once a week. I keep forgetting to call up 1A Auto and tell them exactly what I think of their tank I don`t know if they will fix anything or send me a tank that works correctly but at least it would make me feel better

The name on the tank is American Designers (stamped made in Canada-how ironic!), and I bought them from Advance Auto Parts. (both of them) I bought the second one over a year later after the first, and recall noting them being the same brand other places were selling. I doubt there is more than one place that makes them.I guess they figure a tank that half-*** works is better than no tank at all.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:24 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think mine is an american designers too. I remeber that it was made in Canada. Makes me think I should have welded up all the pin holes on the old tank, at least that one was made in the US and could be filled at full speed.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Teching In

My stock 81 c-10 truck does the same thing. If I turn the gas nozzle upside down while filing up, it won't do it. Just a suggestion.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I have been thinking about this issue and my old tank had three lines connected to it outlet, vapor line, and vent line. The new fuel pump sender has three lines that I have connected the outlet, return, and the vapor line to the vent line. I noticed the vent line's hole is at the top of the sender which should be a vent line.

So I figure that while filling the tank the venting can not backup through the charcoal cannister and forces the fuel back up the neck. I am going to put a tee in the vapor line at the top of the tank and run a line up to the top of the filler neck and strap it to the neck to hold it in place. I am thinking to put a check valve on the end so that nothing can go backwards but allow the tank to vent while filling it up.

I am hoping the vapor from the engine is sucked more into the tank than travel up this new line I will add. Maybe the pressure from the tank venting while filling it up will be higher than the vapor pressure and I can find a check valve that will only allow the tank venting pressure to exit.

Well that is my plan what do you think?

Quick Reply: Quirky gas tank issue while filling up....