Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**NEW** LSx conversion oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Chris, I guess that's not bad,
right now I'm working on motor mounts and mounting all the accessories for subframe clearance,
Old 10-28-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

Chicane-

Thank you for the reply and clarification. I wasn't bashing... merely commenting.

Does the stock LS1 pickup work with your pan?

BTW- I use a Camaro oil pan and guys that road race with the stock 5.5 quarts have suffered from the oil pickup getting uncovered and then killing their bearings and requiring a rebuild. The solution they have found is to overfill it to 6.5 to 7 quarts. That is what I do as during high g force sustained turns the oil walks up the side of the pan and the pickup gets uncovered I have read multiple times.

I didn't really understand your statement that the LSx engine only needs 2/3 of the oil capacity compared to a Gen 1/2 SBC. Can you clarify?

I look forward to purchasing your product when it is released.

Thank you,

Mark
Old 10-28-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark- No, are pick-up was designed for use with the trap door sump arrangement. The sump was integrated for just the principal you described.... to control oil movement in the pan itself. It pretty much assures that the pick-up wont be uncovered in high G sustained loads..... and the windage tray also adds and aids to the oil control principals.

The oil system of the LSx engine was a clean slate design and was developed to use a lesser amount of total oil capacity. The oil pump is a more efficient gerotor design that is driven off the crankshaft snout at the front of the engine. That coupled with a roller camshaft, which requires less oil to operate (basically the top end) and that it is a 'priority main' oiling system, changes the amount of oil required for operation.

The GenI and II's were just the opposite (except one version of the big block and the bow-tie blocks)..... they oiled the cam first, and then rods and mains. Lack of control and over oiling were part of the 'splash' luberication and cooling of the older blocks.

Last edited by chicane; 10-29-2005 at 04:13 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 11-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not flaming here, just needing some clarification.
The motor has a windage tray, priority oiling and a gerotor pump no matter what kind of pan it has on it.

The issue is the pickup becoming partially or fully uncovered under lateral acceleration. From what I can see, this looks like a pretty decent design.

Chicane, can you list exactly what you get for 499?

I assume that is the pan, a new gasket, and the fasteners, did I miss anything?

Thanks...
Old 11-06-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you were to read the previous postings, you would see that the comments on and about the windage tray, gerotor pump and priority main oiling were to point out the difference between the previous generations of Chevrolet engines and the newer design LSx.

The pan kit includes:
1. OE GM oil pan seal
2. Stud fastner kit
3. Constant radius oil pick-up
4. Pan, which include windage tray, trap doors, return bungs for TT set-ups, oil temperature bung and two -10 constant radius bypass tubs for remote oil filter and/or a remote oil cooler.

Nice Duc. Too bad I am in the middle of building a house and expecting our first.... or Id have a 996R in the garage next to the hotrod.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Measuremennts

I was wondering the measurements like I show in the drawing here. It would help so i could at least see about fitting it into a S-series truck. Then I can plan for cutting of the crossmember.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Oilpan1.jpg (99.4 KB, 130 views)
Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Launching!

First measurement of front of sump depth to pan rail is 1-7/8"
2nd measurement of front of shallow sump area to deep sump area is 10.5"
back of pan to front of deep sump is 9.5" and depth of sump is 4.5"
Tyler
Old 11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Preparing to order your products, but have a few questions;
1) You stated the motor will sit low and as far back as possible. I will be running an '02 F body LS1 and drive accessories in a 1st gen F body. Will the alternator clear without having to knotch the frame?
2) I read in previous posts that you are coming up with an upper a/c mount kit. Will this be for F body drive accessories? If so, ETA on its release?
3) Just for my piece of mind. I'm planning on running a unisteer rack setup and am I right to assume your mount and pan will clear the mentioned application.
Thank you for your assistance.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

1. Dont know about everyone elses products, but we havent had a problem with the alt.

2. Its actually a lower mount AC bracket and it will originate off of the Y-body components. This however, is still in development and may change to the F-body or maybe some of gthe F-body components.

3. Dont know about the uni-steer. We dont do racks, because you gain nothing from running one... except to say that you are running one. Our new 670 steering gear (we feel), is actually better than any rack you could stuff into this chassis...... next to an Appleton...... which is not an "on center" type rack unit. As for pan clearence, I could only assume..... that it will. Seeing how the products were created using 'worst case' fitments on all accessories to include the old saginaw steering gear and linkage..... an unmodified stock sub frame and a McLeod scatter shield.

We however, dont like to assume, so to that I can give you no difinitive answer.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

kind of a dumb question given that you have stated the body types for the pan... but how would one of these fit in a LS1 C4 corvette?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kpforce1
kind of a dumb question given that you have stated the body types for the pan... but how would one of these fit in a LS1 C4 corvette?
Possibly? Give us a LT1 pan demension, and we can make a better descision.

Tyler
Old 11-11-2005, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Well, i don't know... I had an old school 350 in my car that I had the $400 canton racing pan in. I know it was pretty damn big and fit no problems. The skirt isnt as deep on Gen 1 blocks though and I don't know how far LS1 conversion will sit in the bay yet.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Chicane - thanks for the reply. I'am planning to run a 4L60E and noticed the stock pan has provisions that bolts to the trans to the pan and yours does not. Being the LS pan are supposd to ad structural integrity, is your pan aimed strictly for manual trans applications? Thanks again

Quick Reply: **NEW** LSx conversion oil pan