Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT-1 to LS1

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 05:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default LT-1 to LS1

I can get complete LS1 motors for under $2K with computer and all that mess. I was thinking the only custom work I need is to find a complete Front suspension from a LS1 car. What do you guys think? I know back in 98 people converted their LS1 cars to LT1 cars with out to much work. You guys run 4L60E which is almost the same tranny that I got in my car.

[ December 19, 2001: Message edited by: Bizzzatch350 ]</p>
Old 12-19-2001, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LT-1 to LS1

wouldnt you need the entire front clip too?
Old 12-19-2001, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Will the LT1 gauges work with an LS1? I've a friend with a 95Z thats thinking about an LS1 swap.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:28 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they will. If using a 99 or newer LS1, change the coolant temp sensor back to the 98 3-wire type. The 3rd wire is for the gage. In 99 GM switched over to serial data coolant gage info, instead of an actual sending unit providing the info.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 12-20-2001, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know of someone who has successfully converted an LT1 car over to LS1 power? Any websites that I might be able to look at?
Old 12-21-2001, 04:47 AM
Staging Lane

I've done the conversion, but I'm still working on the interior wiring. I started with my 95 Z28 that I had fragged the motor (too much juice) and I pulled out the engine trans and interior. I'm now only working on the interior, and interior wiring. I went with the newer 98 interior because I liked the look of it better, and I also thought that the Trans Am dash was more functional, and better looking. Now as far as the engine and mechanical work goes. I had to replace the front cross memember ONLY, that was the only piece on the front end that needed to be swaped. I could have just welded 1 stud in place for the fourth bolts (LT1s use three bolts each, LS1 uses four) but I didn't know that until it was too late. The control arms, rack spindles ect are all pretty much the same, and are uneffected but the swap. I however wanted the 98 ABS and front brakes so I did swap the spindles. YOu can use the LT1's brakes system, I'm not shure how to retain the ABS though. You can also use the LT1 cruise control, they are pretty much the same, but you will need to change both the throttle cables. You will have to clearence the motor mount on the drivers side, because the steering knuckle rubs, and while I did swap for a 98 knuckle, it didn't solve the problem. You can enlarge the bolt holes, and then shim the motor mounts to make it fit though. You also need a VATS bypass module. I recamend getting one from http://lt1350.com/prod03.htm other wise your car will not start, even using your own key, or interior harness. They can also modify your interior or exterior accesory harnesses to work with your LS1 for a reasonable price. I went with an entire replacement though, there is NO LT1 harnesses left in my car, and in fact I cut out a large amount of the unessesary wires (such as too the BOSE system) out of my interior LS1 harness. I also removed the SRS system since I don't like face breaking, kill killer devices (ie air bags) and I'm going with 5 point restraints so it's not needed. It is easy to make your existing SRS work though, just keep all your sensors. You will either need to convert your LS1's fuel rail to a bypass system like the Corvette's or you can do like I did, and replace the gas tank, lines and wiring going to it. I recamend just going to a bypass system, the wiring is a REAL BIG pain in the ***, and it will give you more flexibility with power adders, I only did mine this way for ***** and giggles (mostly me doing the shitting and other people giggling as they watch me curse and pull my hair out) BIG thing to mention, you have to use the LS1's tranny, but to make it fit into an LT1 car YOU MUST USE THE LT1's trans crossmemeber (another thing I found out the hard way) Also be shure to use the LS1's PCM (duh) and get it reprogrammed. If I hadn't gotten everything in a package deal with Scott from http://www.speedautomotive.com/ I would have done everything alot differantly, but then again, until I had to do the realy detailed wiring, I hadn't even opened a manual, nor have I looked up any information on conversions. I just dove in a did it, and it seems to have worked out fine.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:37 PM
Teching In

I am doing this same swap right now. I too am about finished. I bought a wrecked 99 Z28 and just swapped everything. My 94 Z28 already had a 4" cowl hood so the motor fit fine (I dont know if it would fit with the stock hood?) The whole thing isnt bad just time comsuming! I need a starter, and the computer reprogrammed and I am done. Take care.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Teching In

HI,
I AM GOING TO START PUTTING MY LSI IN MY 94 Z28,ANY THING YOU COULD ADVISE ME ON, IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

WAYNE DUGUAY

wayne@industrialrubber.ca

Quick Reply: LT-1 to LS1