Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers for conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headers for conversion??

Dropping LS1 into second generation camaro(1973) and was thinking of doing headers while doing the install.
Problem is I don't know what will fit.Would really hate to buy a set for a few $100 only to find out they are useless to me.What is everyone else doing??
Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2002, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Default Re: headers for conversion??

I'm going to use the stock manifolds at first then make my own headers later. As far as I know no one makes headers specific for the 2nd gen fbody.

Stainless works makes a set of headers for the 1st gen that they say will fit the 2nd gen but I think it depends on where you mount engine. The engine location can vary a few inches depending on what you want to modify to make it fit. http://www.stainlessworks.net .

Street and Performance also makes headers and engine mounts for another application the will work on a 2nd gen. I think the headers are 1 5/8" which is small for what I want and I didn't want to pay their price for headers and mounts. http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

Give them both a call and make your own decision.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

I talked to the guys at stainless works. They said they have a second generation specific header for the LS1, but the motor has to be in the stock position. The headers are $600.00 and they only come in 1 5/8".
I just took my standard SBC headers for my camaro and cut the stock flanges off. Reroute a couple of tubes and weld on the LS1 flanges and your set.
This is what I did for my 72 camaro conversion.
Old 11-28-2002, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

GM makes a flange for making headers for the LS1. Its part number is 12480130 you will need one for each side. I had to make a custom manifold for my LS1 Fiero. The flanges are only about $20 each. If you were a good welder you could buy these flanges then a SBC header weld up kit through summit or jegs, and modify it a little.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tips guys,it looks like I will be trying to modify existing headers with some flanges from GM.Just thought it would save some time/hassle if 4th gen headers worked.Oh well,nothings easy doin a swap,that's what makes it fun.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:50 PM
Teching In

I had a set of 4th gen LS1 Hooker long tubes that I tried in my 2ng gen swap. There is no way that they will fit. They come down right where the lower control arm mount sticks out of the subframe. It is possible that some of the emissions legal short headers would work but in my opinion why bother. I'd rather come up with a true equal length header made to my specs.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

fbird_ta-Do you know anyplace that does custom headers without breaking the bank?As much as I want to go with headers,I don't wanna spend $1000.
Thanks,Joe
Old 12-01-2002, 09:42 PM
Teching In

No one that I know of. You can try what was previously suggested and modify small block headers or maybe big block headers since the port spacing matches a LS1 better (or maybe not). I'm going to build my own, I figure about $600 and around 40 hours of work. That throws me easy over the $1000 mark if time is money. At least when I'm done I'll only have myself to blame if they don't fit. I could always make two sets for less, but then again this is next winters project I have to get the thing running first.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> I'm going to build my own, I figure about $600 and around 40 hours of work. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No way it would take this long!!!! It only took me 40 hours to build my complete custom long tube headers and this was my first try!

Quick Reply: headers for conversion??