Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultima GTR + Magnacharged LS2

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are gorgeous cars. I am looking into the gtm from factory five as I don't have the funds for one of these. I can imagine what a crazy driving experience it is. I would like some pics of the finished product when you get it done post up.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crafty, I have been following your progress on pistonheads.com as well. Good to see you over here too. Jeff does some nice work. I got a ride in his car this past September at the Ultima Gathering 2005. WOW is all I can say!! We hit 150 with no problem and these cars stop with amazing force. I love to feel the G-forces and you definitely will with an Ultima! It just eats up the road. I know you will enjoy your car once it is complete.

I hope to build an orange one sometime in the future (hopefully not too far in the future!).
Old 12-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Jeff tweaked it and made some more HP today.
572 HP at 6000 rpm 555 b ft at 5000 rpm
Still with the cast manifolds, cats and 2.5 inch outlets.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Some updated shots..... These are crappy shots from my old camera...Just bought a new one and will get some better shots posted next week.

She is gonna be one bass *** mother..

Old 03-16-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is a work of art. Very .
Old 03-16-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crafty888
be internal work that they wont know about.... its a bit hard to hide a bottle of nitros in an Ultima, maybe I can find somewhere.
the "door sill" on the passenger side would fit a bottle nicely.. with the cover on, you cant see it...

although i wouldnt want to be Tboned with it right there.. lol.

a local guy i just met has a cammed LS6 GTR hes finishing up.. he took it out earlier this week and called me right afterward.. this is a guy that races all kinds of euro cars, owns a euro roadracing shop, and has owned lambos, Ferrari's, lotus's ect.... and he was just gushing about this car... its 2000lbs with a iron SBC... less then 2000lbs with that cammed LS6 must be insane... yours should be even more fun with that blower, and maybe that bottle...
Old 03-16-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by strokedls1
Those are gorgeous cars. I am looking into the gtm from factory five as I don't have the funds for one of these. I can imagine what a crazy driving experience it is. I would like some pics of the finished product when you get it done post up.

thats what i want to build.... ahhh someday.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Launching!

That is sexy! You aren't planning on leaving those stock cast manifolds on there though are ya?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Skele4door
That is sexy! You aren't planning on leaving those stock cast manifolds on there though are ya?
Not for long....
Old 03-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Can anyone help with a mount question.

The chassis is set up for an SB.

I have adaptor plates with SB mounts and I found that this makes the distance between the holes on the engine mounts too large (like from one side of the engine to the other - the "width" at the engine mounts if you like)

The engine is currently sitting in the chassis with one side lined up and the other side about 1" out on holes to the chassis.

I would have thought that the name "LS to SB adaptor plate" would have been a good description of its function, but it doesnt fit.

Given that a SB bolts straight in its not a problem with the chassis...

I know of a couple of other guys that have had a similar problem (with Ultimas) and have ended up elongating the holes towards the engine ... narrowing the width between holes.

I need to find about 1/2" on each side. The options are:

1. Ream out the holes in the rubber mounts - I am thinking the bolt will end up going partially through the rubber once the holes is elongated.

2. Make some solids with the right holes.

3. Throw that crappy engine away and get something smaller and more fuel efficient. hahaha

Has anyone had similar experiences fitting LS's with adaptor plates into cars set up for SB??
Old 03-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have adaptor plates with SB mounts and I found that this makes the distance between the holes on the engine mounts too large (like from one side of the engine to the other - the "width" at the engine mounts if you like)

The engine is currently sitting in the chassis with one side lined up and the other side about 1" out on holes to the chassis.
I ran into this problem with my Nova. I bought it without a drive train, so I had to scrounge up a lot of parts, motor mounts being one of them. The first set I used had the same alignment problem you are having so I went back to my shed and found another pair. The second pair lined up without any problem.
Why? The first set were from a 1966 Beaumont (Chevelle) and the second set were from another Nova. Somewhere between '66 and '71, GM made a slight change in the mounts. It's quite possible you have run into the same problem I did.
Ken
Old 03-16-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is at the point where I'm thinking stop in the name of sanity!

No really a great build up and you're going to have a street legal rocket ship that doesn't require soild state boosters
Old 03-16-2006, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

If you dont mind me asking how mcuh does the car come for less then engine? Doesnt it come in a kit?
Old 03-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kenova
I ran into this problem with my Nova. I bought it without a drive train, so I had to scrounge up a lot of parts, motor mounts being one of them. The first set I used had the same alignment problem you are having so I went back to my shed and found another pair. The second pair lined up without any problem.
Why? The first set were from a 1966 Beaumont (Chevelle) and the second set were from another Nova. Somewhere between '66 and '71, GM made a slight change in the mounts. It's quite possible you have run into the same problem I did.
Ken

Thanks Ken... I will check this out.

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
This is at the point where I'm thinking stop in the name of sanity!
Well.... you'd better not look here :http://www.schwartzperformance.com/alien.htm - Jeff Schwartz put my engine together... he is doing a TT conversion on his GTR now...

Originally Posted by 67maro
If you dont mind me asking how mcuh does the car come for less then engine? Doesnt it come in a kit?
www.ultimasports.co.uk for prices.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Can anyone help with a mount question.

The chassis is set up for an SB.

I would have thought that the name "LS to SB adaptor plate" would have been a good description of its function, but it doesnt fit.

Given that a SB bolts straight in its not a problem with the chassis...

I know of a couple of other guys that have had a similar problem (with Ultimas) and have ended up elongating the holes towards the engine ... narrowing the width between holes.

I need to find about 1/2" on each side. The options are:

1. Ream out the holes in the rubber mounts - I am thinking the bolt will end up going partially through the rubber once the holes is elongated.

2. Make some solids with the right holes.

3. Throw that crappy engine away and get something smaller and more fuel efficient. hahaha

Has anyone had similar experiences fitting LS's with adaptor plates into cars set up for SB??

the local guy here with one is using the corvette motor mounts.. he just made a little pad to bolt it to.. looks like it was made that way
he also did a few other little tricks... i sent him a link to here, hopefully he'll chime in.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Launching!

You might also contact Grant at www.grannysspeed.com to see if he might have something. They use modular SBC mounts for their swap kits and can change the height of the mounts. They might be able to bring the holes in toward the block as well.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:02 AM
Launching!

Got the side pods back on today.... and some shots with the new camera..

Old 03-18-2006, 11:08 AM
LC
TECH Resident

such a pretty thing
Old 03-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Niiiiiice steering wheel
Old 03-20-2006, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Looking good Crafty! It even looks good without the body on. Just the rolling chassis, wheels, and engine look threatening!! Thanks for keeping us updated.

Quick Reply: Ultima GTR + Magnacharged LS2