Sponsored by:

96 Impala SS LS1/T56 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 01:46 PM
SSh
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Impala SS LS1/T56 swap questions

I am in the middle of an LT1 to LS1/T56 swap for my 96 Impala SS. The LS1 is a 2001 with 6k miles. It already has the LS6 intake and I am installing a 216/220 – 525/532 – 114 Comp Cam, 918 springs, Ti retainers, Spec Stage II clutch & pressure plate, QTP LT headers, SLP 85mm MAF, ported throttle body and LS6 valley cover with the improved crank case ventilation system.

I have the engine and trans setting in the car waiting for headers to do the final positioning and welding. I have a couple of questions at this point. The wiring harness seems like it is going to be the most challenging.

1)Do I need to hook up the drive shaft’s speed sensor since there is one on the t56 transmission already?

2)Do I need to hook up the EVAP system?

3)Is there a better way to hook up the fuel system other than using a return line pressure regular?

4)Can I use the Air Intake Temp (IAT) sensor from the LT1 or do I need to buy a new one?

5)I have the engine wiring harness, but don’t have the two relay/fuse boxes to power everything. Any ideas as to what I should do there? Do I hack up the LT1 relay/fuse box (assuming there are enough relays & fuses) or do I keep looking for the LS1 relay/fuse boxes?

6)I have a Mcleod master cylinder and will be fabricating the clutch pedal. I need to find the braided steel quick connect high pressure side line and the reservoir. I can not buy them new; they only come with the complete master cylinder assembly. Any ideas?

7)I also need to find the large square (c204 I think) engine to firewall harness connector as well as the other smaller connectors so I don’t have to hack up the LT1 harness. I would like to keep the LT1 harness in tack since the engine is in perfect condition with only 68k on it. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for any feedback you may have.

Regards,
Scott
Old 04-18-2003, 05:04 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 96 Impala SS LS1/T56 swap questions

1)The driveshaft speed sensor is the rear axle speed sensor for the ABS. You need to keep it.

2)You don't have to hook up the EVAP system, but you should at least try to use the purge canister. Use the canister system from the Impala, not from the LS1. That will work out much better (easier). Just take the green wire from the Impala purge canister and tie it in to the LS1 PCM canister purge. The rest of the EVAP system is up to you and any emissions laws you may have.

3) You must use a regulator to maintain proper fuel pressure (58 psi) AND to hook your Impala return line back up.

4) Yes, the IAT sensors are all the same. Some screw in, some push in, but they use the same actual sensor.

5) We recently finished an LS1 / Roadmaster swap. The wiring gets a little complex, but do-able.
Pics are at:
http://www.speartech.com/cc-1992_ls1...oadmaster.html

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 04-19-2003, 03:30 PM
SSh
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello John,

I had seen your roadmaster swap before. It looks pretty clean. How does it run? I do not see either the LS1 or LT1 relay fuse boxes. Which did you use in this swap?

Thanks for the input.
Scott
Old 04-25-2003, 06:16 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car was a 92 that had a 5.7 TBI engine. The fuses are inside the car.
I always try to tie into the vehicles original electrical system for fuses and power feeds. I added my own relays as needed.

John

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com

Quick Reply: 96 Impala SS LS1/T56 swap questions