Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Bracket alterantives

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C Bracket alterantives

I am still looking for alternatives to mount a Sanden 508 style compressor head high on the passenger side. I know that S&P makes one, but was hoping to find something a little less expensive than $600+, although that does include the compressor I think/hope. Bling factor is not a real high priority for me, but I do want it to look decent. I know that ATS has promised one, but no estimated time has been provided yet. I have seen some custom made, but most are one of a kind and not for sale. I have thought about making my own, but have no real desire to re-invent the wheel and do not have machinist's skills. I thought I found the answer on the Super Chevy LSI Product guide from Newman Car Creations, but a call to them revealed they are no longer selling it because it only works with their conversions. Has anyone found another vendor? Or have any ideas for me?

thanks

Pat
Old 11-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRP bracket

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I put the LS1 in my 67 Camaro along with Vintage air. I got an a/c bracket from BRP meant to mount the Sanden in the orgininal spot, but I didn't like it. It really wasn't much, just a flat piece of steel with a bend and a threaded pipe welded to it. So I was cosidering using the stock a/c compressor with the Vintage air. Others have said that the stock unit is a "variable displacement" and won't work with the Vintage air. So far I haven't been able to confirm this. So I decided that there's so many more things needed to complete my car that the a/c is on the back burner.

This a/c bracket is really a big deal. What I mean is all the other aspects of the swap (I think) are done well. I really want to use the original pulley/drive from the LS1 for reliability.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I talked with Stacey from DSE on Saturday, the A/C compressor(stock) is a variable pressure style and so is the Vintage air unit it works off a variable pressure orfice so you'll have 2 variable pressure systems trying to work against each other, it will work but eventually the compressor will burn up aand damage the V/A unit, thats what she told me, and I cant help with the bracket, my engine is on the floor, not as far as you guys,
Old 11-29-2005, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Default brackets

if you guys will email me I can return email you some pics that may help u out. they are of a set-up that you can make yourself with a little time and effort and they look pretty good. I dont know who designed them I just have them in my research info on my computer.

ls67 email
Old 11-29-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll have to look up the name of the company I got mine from. In the meantime, here's a pic. He makes them for both Camaro or Corvette belt positioning applications.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

67ls1camaro can you post a pic of that brp bracket to mount the sanden ac unit in the stock lo cal mike
Old 11-29-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, beautiful conversion! That A/C bracket looks a lot like the one from Newman Car Creations that they won't sell any more, I'm hoping it is from someone else as it looks like something I could use. Please let us know who made it if you can

thanks

Pat

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
I'll have to look up the name of the company I got mine from. In the meantime, here's a pic. He makes them for both Camaro or Corvette belt positioning applications.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Wow, beautiful conversion! That A/C bracket looks a lot like the one from Newman Car Creations that they won't sell any more, I'm hoping it is from someone else as it looks like something I could use. Please let us know who made it if you can

thanks

Pat
It's from a company called Performance Automotive in Sand City, CA. 831/394-4403

The bracket is nice and sturdy but I don't recommend getting their package that includes the compressor. It was a Sanden looking pump but was made in China and had Chinese writing right on the top of it. Yuck! I sent it back for a partial refund and bought a real Sanden unit.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Thanks Mark! I will call them today

Pat
Old 11-30-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you could do a great favor. After you call the place PM me with the price because i would love to know how much it is cause I would def look into buying it. Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

hey mark ixzd from your pic you have your coil packs off your valve covers. are they under the dash inside the car ? will the extra length of the wires hurt the performance mike
Old 11-30-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69blackwidow
hey mark ixzd from your pic you have your coil packs off your valve covers. are they under the dash inside the car ? will the extra length of the wires hurt the performance mike
The coils are relocated to a bracket at the rear of the heads. The wires are no longer than a standard car with a distributor so I doubt the lenght has any effect.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Slick,!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jhankinson
If you could do a great favor. After you call the place PM me with the price because i would love to know how much it is cause I would def look into buying it. Thanks in advance for the info.
I just spoke with Alf at Performance Automotive. He was very pleasant to deal with. He let me know that the Corvette Tensioner is needed with his bracket whether you are using the F-Body or Corvette accessory mounts. So you would need to find a tensioner to go with it. They are steel and come with black paint. He asked that I not quote his price on-line, but I will say I thought it was reasonable.

Pat
Old 11-30-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Following up one more time. I just spoke with Street & Performance. Their price for the A/C Bracket and Idler & tensioner that will work with the stock F-Body accessories is $335 for the polished aluminum and $380 for the chromed version. With that kit you would need to have a Sanden Compressor and serpentine belt. They can recommend or provide a belt that should fit.

Thanks to all who have provided input and advice on this

Pat
Old 11-30-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I still offer a custom bracket for use with an LT1 style compressor for $375 + shipping. It also requires the LT1 belt tensioner. Here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails A/C Bracket alterantives-acbrkt.jpg  
Old 12-01-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

so will a saden compressor work with the existing ac system on a stock fbody?
any more detail on this varible pressure issues, is that on vintage stuff or newer stuff?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:18 PM
8 Second Club

Here is the info i got from S&P i just ordered there whole setup

Hello James,

Pricing and information are as follows:

LS1 A/C Relocator Bracket Kit = $145.00
Dual Idler Kit = $175.00
A/C Compressor = $209.95
Serpentine Belt = $44.00

***Customer is responsible for shipping/handling of product; we provide (3) copies of invoice for customs.

Thank you,

Larry "Bear" Barton
Street & Performance, Inc.
(479) 394-5711 Office
Old 12-02-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

mine cost $529 from S&P, but that was a year ago, I'm sure they went uppp!! That was every thing including serpentine belt. (turbols6.com TPHOONZ06) THANKS
Old 12-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

The Performance Auto bracket is the bracket Newman sells. They get $495 for it which seems awful steep to me- guess I'm a little cheap though. There must be $20 worth of steel, 10 minutes of welding. After the first one is jigged up of course....

Quick Reply: A/C Bracket alterantives