Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

okay will the ls1 fit in a 2000 4x4 S-10?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default okay will the ls1 fit in a 2000 4x4 S-10?

im sure i would have to use the truck oil pan, but even so is it still going to fit?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

ya man. it fits pretty easily. im doing the ls1 swap into my xtreme in the spring. try to find this guys ls1blazer's swap book.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:04 AM
Launching!

i know it will fit the 2wd trucks but im not sure about a 4x4, does anyone know?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

A qualified Yes

It can be done on a 4wd or Awd truck, there are just a few more hurdles.

The oilpan is your biggest problem. It needs a big freakin notch in order to clear the front differential. Turbotime is working on producing this oilpan, but its only been test fit in 1st Gen trucks (pre 1995). So, you either need to wait until this pan is released and test fit it to see if it fits a 2nd Gen truck, or modify / build your own pan.

Engine mounts are also different than 2wd. Again, Turbotime has these, but as far as I'm aware, they've only been test fit in 1st Gen trucks. These are available now.

AC compressor is also a potential problem. The low mounting location causes frame interference on both 2wd's and 4wd's. The 2wd solution is to notch the frame. I don't know if that is possible with the 4wd. Most of the guys doing the conversion work are working on Syclones & Typhoons, and as such really don't want to hack on their frames, and have elected to use high mount AC brackets. I don't know for certain if its a "can't be notched" or "didn't want to notch".

Other than those 3 items, the rest of the conversion is the same. Still need to run 'Vette accessories for radiator & steering box clearance (can't use truck at all or F-body without a fair bit of work). Wiring harness issues will be the same. Cooling system mods will still need to be done. I haven't heard whether the truck intake manifold will clear the hood or not.

Check out Tydrivers' site TurboLS6.com. He's swapping an LSx motor into a Typhoon, and is the one who is test fitting brackets & such for Turbotime. There is a lot of good information on there, and some links to some other guy's trucks.

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

I just finished my Zr2 4x4 swap about a month ago and working on the tuning now. I can be done, anything can be done! Oil pan is the biggest problem as stated below. Depends on how much money you are looking to spend and your fabracating skills. Headers will also be a problem on the 4x4's. No one makes an LS1 header for the 4x4's yet. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm gonna try to shoot some vids this weekend and get them up with the finished pics. Thanks

Chris
Old 12-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Launching!

cool so what kind of engine mounts did u use? did you have good clearness,

the SSR/Trailblazer 5.3L/LS2 oil pan has front sump with hole for 4wd front axle GM PN is 12579723 but i cant find a picture of it.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

I've seen a picture of it, I think on here. I don't think it'll work on a 1st or 2nd gen S10. The S10 front differential isn't set up like the Trailblazer's front diff, and the axle shaft won't fit through the hole (there's a big honkin' flange on the S10 unit).

If you check out TurboLS6.com, he's got a bunch of pictures of what the diff / oilpan interference looks like and what his oilpan solution looks like.

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-03-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilds
I just finished my Zr2 4x4 swap about a month ago and working on the tuning now. I can be done, anything can be done! Oil pan is the biggest problem as stated below. Depends on how much money you are looking to spend and your fabracating skills. Headers will also be a problem on the 4x4's. No one makes an LS1 header for the 4x4's yet. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm gonna try to shoot some vids this weekend and get them up with the finished pics. Thanks

Chris
Killer! I'd love to see a 4x4 LS1 S10 .
Old 01-03-2006, 03:22 AM
Staging Lane

Look up my conversion thread in that section. I'll hopefully have it updated by next weekend. It's done though! Thanks

Chris

Quick Reply: okay will the ls1 fit in a 2000 4x4 S-10?