Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone make a 6.0 intake look good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone make a 6.0 intake look good?

The ls1 intakes just look cool in stock form even better when smoothed and painted. I was just wondering if its possible to take a truck intake, and smooth off all the unneccasary stuff? Im thinking about picking one up and giving it a try unless its impossible. I think it would make the engine look a little "bigger" in the engine bay until I can afford the magnacharger

Last edited by jimmyp; 11-30-2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 AM
On The Tree

Cool Truck intake........

Give it a go. I think once the intake is smoothed it could look good. By the way, is that an old 392 Hemi in the pic behind the LS1?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbk240z
Give it a go. I think once the intake is smoothed it could look good. By the way, is that an old 392 Hemi in the pic behind the LS1?
thanks, Im just wondering if there is anything on the intake itself that absolutely cant be smoothed off and/or relocated

haha yeah everyone notices that thing back there. We have 3 of them, one is getting dropped into our 37 ford coupe project
Old 12-01-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

ok 240z how the hell did you pick out a 392 hemi in that pic? that pic's dark and I even went back and still can't maake it out? any I don't think your going to get a truck intake to look as nice as that motor you got there. that's a very good looking motor by the way. I'd trade ya a truck motor for it hehe.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking of doing the same thing you're talking about, smoothing a truck intake and painting it but I had to swap to an LS1 style because of a lack of headroom. You could probably make it look pretty good, but it would taje a lot to make it as smooth as an LS1 intake. The truck intake has a lot of ridges that could be cut out, but there are little porthole looking pieces that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to just lop off, check the pic out. It does seem like they might be good for some kind of injection setup, methanol if you were boosted or possibly nitrous. I happen to have an intake as well as a fuel rail if you end up needing one.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone make a 6.0 intake look good?-5.3-intake_top.jpg  
Old 12-01-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vortec_7
I was thinking of doing the same thing you're talking about, smoothing a truck intake and painting it but I had to swap to an LS1 style because of a lack of headroom. You could probably make it look pretty good, but it would taje a lot to make it as smooth as an LS1 intake. The truck intake has a lot of ridges that could be cut out, but there are little porthole looking pieces that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to just lop off, check the pic out. It does seem like they might be good for some kind of injection setup, methanol if you were boosted or possibly nitrous. I happen to have an intake as well as a fuel rail if you end up needing one.
thanks for the clear pic....im just wondering what all the portal things are and if they can be smoothed off or not. How would I go about filling in the holes? Can the composite material be plastic welded?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dogger
ok 240z how the hell did you pick out a 392 hemi in that pic? that pic's dark and I even went back and still can't maake it out? any I don't think your going to get a truck intake to look as nice as that motor you got there. that's a very good looking motor by the way. I'd trade ya a truck motor for it hehe.
I think it depends upon the contrast settings of your monitor. On my laptop at work it was fairly clear, but now at home, the pic is darker. It certainly is hard to pick out that motor, but once you do the 4 plug wires in the valve covers and the raised area that runs lengthwise down the cover make it pretty easy to spot as an early hemi.

And I think the truck manifold (aka "big ugly") is going to be tough to make look good. Most of the ribbing and such would be easy to remove, but the "portholes" or whatever they are look like they'd be tough to deal with. Maybe you could come up with some decorative way to use them? Maybe hack the plastic off and install billet alum plugs? I'm just throwing out ideas....

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-01-2005, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmyp
thanks for the clear pic....im just wondering what all the portal things are and if they can be smoothed off or not. How would I go about filling in the holes? Can the composite material be plastic welded?
I'm not really sure what they are there for. It could be from a manufacturing process. One of the holes is used for the vacuum reference for the fuel pressure regulator. Maybe the intake was just designed that way so that for different applications the holes could be used for different things like the map sensor, egr,fuel evap or anything else that needs a strong vacuum source. The intake is made out of nylon, so I think that you probably could plastic weld it. I like the idea of billet aluminum caps or something like that (beer bottle caps lol), but I think it could look nice with them still there possibly.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats going to be ALOT of work, good luck, and if you get it looking good, and dont give up while doing it:p, snap some pics and post em up.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool thanks for the ideas guys, If I find one cheap enough im going to give it a try.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any reason why you want to use the truck manifold rather than an LS1/6/2 manifold?? Just curious!
Old 12-02-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastKat
Any reason why you want to use the truck manifold rather than an LS1/6/2 manifold?? Just curious!
Its cheap, possibly has a little better performance down low but mostly just want to try something that looks a little different under the hood. Its an experiment more than anything, just want to see what it would look like.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

Cool 392 hemi...........

I spotted it easily, as it is one of the coolest looking engines of all time IMO.
If were to build a street rod, it would be a 40' or so *****'s coupe, 6-71, 392 Hemi, etc...
As for the intake idea, I don't know anything about plastic welding, but maybe bondo or some creative fiberglassing material could be useful.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FastKat
The truck manifold is actually better than the original LS1 manifold for many applications (which makes some sense since there is more space to make an "optimum" manifold in a truck than under the hood of a camaro). Makes better low end without any significant loss on the top (usually). You should be able to find a bare manifold for under $100 (maybe $50 to $75). Drawbacks are obvious, its ugly, and doesn't fit in many applications.

The LS1 manifold is the most abundant, but also probably the lowest performer (of the 4 choices). Doesn't have the low end of the truck manifold or the high end power of the LS6. But they're usually pretty cheap (again, under $100, often in the $25 to $50 range)

The LS6 manifold is the top performer, but they're going for $300+ used and $400+ new.

The LS2 manifold isn't quite as good as an LS6 manifold (as a bunch of folks figured out just after it was released), at least on most engine applications. The LS6 manifold usually makes better power, even though the LS2 has a 90mm throttlebody.

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-02-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you're better off making a custom fiberglass cover for the truck intake.... i mean, even GM knew they were so ugly that they needed a plastic cover.... lol.. id start with a GM cover, and modify that.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

I would let my intake go w/ bolts and all for $50. I have the vortec cover and fuel rails as well if you want. I decided not to cut my hood, so I will have to use the smaller intake.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vortec_7
I would let my intake go w/ bolts and all for $50. I have the vortec cover and fuel rails as well if you want. I decided not to cut my hood, so I will have to use the smaller intake.
im interested just strapped for cash right now. does that include the throttle body also? How much for the fuel rails? Are the truck fuel rails the single inlet or return style like the 97-98 vettes?

you can pm me if you want thanks
Old 12-02-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Just find a rear-wrecked Escelade or Silverado SS and use the 3-piece engine cover off of that. If you sanded it down and used a rattle can to paint it they look sick!
Old 12-02-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jbk240z
I spotted it easily, as it is one of the coolest looking engines of all time IMO.
If were to build a street rod, it would be a 40' or so *****'s coupe, 6-71, 392 Hemi, etc...
As for the intake idea, I don't know anything about plastic welding, but maybe bondo or some creative fiberglassing material could be useful.
Heres some **** for you...

-Matt
Old 12-02-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by outlaw 5.3
Just find a rear-wrecked Escelade or Silverado SS and use the 3-piece engine cover off of that. If you sanded it down and used a rattle can to paint it they look sick!
ive seen some good looking engine covers but its just not what I want to do with this project. Im going more for the older school hot rod look. Im even considering relocating the coils and getting some smooth valve covers.

Quick Reply: Anyone make a 6.0 intake look good?