Sponsored by:

LS1 in 56` Chevy Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in 56` Chevy Wagon

Hi.

I am planning to put a LS1 engine and a 4L60E trans. in my 56`Chevy.
I plan to buy a Painless Perfect wiring/computer kit and a 2002 engine/trans combo from a Camaro or Firebird.

I have some questions.

Now I have the stock motormount and no trans crossmember.
I will need to rebuild it to LS1 motor mounts and manufacture or buy a transmission crossmember.
Where can I get this cheap?

How do I build the fuel delivery system?
I would like to use my stock tank and use external fuel pump(s).

Is it possible to fit a camaro/firebird radiator/fan assembly in my 56`?
What radiator should I use?

What oil pan do I need to use to fit the engine in my car?

I know i will have to shorten the driveshaft and rebuild the exhaust but I wounder if I have forgot something. Please tell me if I have!

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Roy Andre Lie
NORWAY

1965 Chevrolet Impala SS 355/PG
1956 Chevrolet 150 Wagon 283/3-spd.
1989 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4 6.2L Diesel/TH400
1998 Ford Mondeo (Mercury Contour) Wagon 1,8L Turbo Diesel/5-spd.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I would probably check salvage yards and ebay for some of the more common stuff like crossmembers and motor mounts.

Depending on the model car the ls1 came from, it will have a return type fuel system or a returnless. I can't remember if they all changed to returnless as of yet. Either way, you can always plumb the system the way you want with a regulator. (Especially if you use an aftermarket pump in your stock tank.)

I do not know about the radiator and fan assembly, but there is probably a hell of a lot of room comparatively, so I want to say yes.

I would post up in the "hybrid section" for more help!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roy,
Welcome to ls1tech. I don’t want to sound too short, but the search tool and the stickys at the top of the forum will answer many of your questions about putting the ls1 in your ’56. You will find a lot of info about the fuel delivery systems, harnesses, and other items that may not be discussed for your particular car, but they will be helpful with your conversion.

I will try to help with some tri-5 specific issues. I am putting a ls1 and 6-speed in my ’55 sedan but I am not too far along. I’m in the process of a frame off restore and I don’t have anything on the body and frame right now. I have done some preliminary work.

Motor Mounts - I purchased Street and Performance tri-5 motor mount kit and adapter plates. I test fit the motor and tranny in the car. The mounts moved the engine forward a couple of inches and it appears I have enough tunnel clearance for the big a$$ tranny. I reused my Classic Chevy t350 tranny mount kit with a few minor modifications. I think you could adapt about any cross member for the tail section. I went ahead and modified the rear mounts and adapted them to the ’55.

Radiator – Can’t be much help here. I picked up a Be-Cool radiator and fan assembly off of ebay. I would guess that you could adapt the radiator out of the donor car.

Oil Pan – I sent a F-body oil pan and pickup tube to Street and Performance and they modified it to clear my steering linkage. The cost was $200.

Exhaust – I had the motor in with ’01 f-fbody manifolds and with my stock non-power steering box, and I had about a ¼ of clearance. I believe it would have been fine. I am going to put a 605 PS box in hopefully in a few weeks and can let you know if I have clearance if you will remind me. Keep in mind that the S&P motor mounts bring the engine forward a couple of inches so your clearance may vary if you use different mounts.

Good luck in your conversion.
Steve
Old 12-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Teching In

I too am in the process of a frame off resto on a 56 chevy sedan and I am also installing a LS1 with a six speed. The question I have for you is where does the shift come through the floor? Is is up against the seat or just under it? I have a bench seat. the LS1 i have is out of a 2001 Camaro SS and I think that the fuel rail I have does not have the regulator on the rail is this true? I know this sounds like an awful lot of questions but your project is very simmilar to mine thanks for any info you can offer. Kyle
Old 12-12-2005, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

On top of LS1Tech, you guys might want to check out the Chevy Talk and Hot Rodders forums, as they would have information that's more Tri-Five specific since a lot of rods use the LS1 powerplant.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kyle1974
I too am in the process of a frame off resto on a 56 chevy sedan and I am also installing a LS1 with a six speed. The question I have for you is where does the shift come through the floor? Is is up against the seat or just under it? I have a bench seat. the LS1 i have is out of a 2001 Camaro SS and I think that the fuel rail I have does not have the regulator on the rail is this true? I know this sounds like an awful lot of questions but your project is very simmilar to mine thanks for any info you can offer. Kyle
I'm using bucket seats and the shifter is going to be right beside the front corner of the drivers bucket. It doesn't touch the seat but it's close. I can get exact measurements of the floor cutout tonight if I don't forget. Remember that I am using the S&P mounting kit that brings the motor and tranny forward a couple inches.

As far as the fuel rail goes, I'm not sure which one you have. I had to change mine and picked one up in the F/S forum for $20.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Teching In

there are at least two outfits that sell kits to relocate the shifter in T56s

Keisler is one

you have a choice of being 7" or 11" further forward than the original position

I have a T56 in a 56, but with a SBC ZZ3 and bench seat

my shifter clears the bench seat by about 1/8" using the original T56 shifter location

don't know how the SBC positioning would compare to LS1
Old 12-13-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 55chevy
I'm using bucket seats and the shifter is going to be right beside the front corner of the drivers bucket. It doesn't touch the seat but it's close. I can get exact measurements of the floor cutout tonight if I don't forget. Remember that I am using the S&P mounting kit that brings the motor and tranny forward a couple inches.
I got the measurements to where I cut the floor shift hole for the t56. Its starts at 19 1/2 inches from the tranny inspection plate and extends to 24 3/4 inches. From the drivers floor pan rocker seam, it starts at 29 1/4" and extends to 33 1/2. I also measured the distance that the S&P motor mounts moves the motor forward and it is approximately 2 1/4".
I hope this helps.
Steve
Old 12-14-2005, 06:27 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info guys. This will help me. Steve, I also have the S&P mount for this car and so far so good also where are you mounting your PCM? The only place I had found that kind of hides it is on the inner fender well on the passenger side between the firewall and inner fender. Oh well I am in the process of converting the manual steering to a 605 power unit and so far it looks like a lot of mods will have to be done.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Kyle, It sounds like we are in the phase. I will be converting my manual to 605 as soon as I get some time. As far as the PCM mounting goes, I got the extra lenght Painless wiring harnesss and plan on putting it behind my old radio speaker grill. I got one of those plastic holders from an F-body and slightly modified it to attach it there.
Steve
Old 12-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Sounds good I also have the plastic mount for the PCM but have not had the wiring harness modified yet. I think I will just have it cleaned up and modified to get rid of the stuff I don't need. Steve what did you have taken off your motor VATS, air pump, Etc.? Trying to clean up the top of the motor so I can put the Corvette plates on top.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know exactly what all it had but it doesn't have Vats or Air Pump. Maybe someone else will help out. Steve
Old 12-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Neal I have been trying to get in touch with Keisler but I can't seem to talk with any one. Who is the other company that offers that relocation kit?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Teching In

McLeod Industries

http://www.mcleodind.com/cgi-bin/fcc...ostname=MCLEOD

funny about Keisler not responding

they had a booth at every stop on the last Power Tour and handed out flyers about their relo kit
Old 12-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Finally got in touch with Keisler and they said the kit could only be installed by a trans. repair company?????? Oh well I will try another route.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Teching In

that shouldn't be a problem

just have the part shipped to a trans shop that will then hand it to you

or in the Hemmings Muscle Car magazine, there is almost always an ad from Tremec giving their authorized distributors

I'm in DFW Texas area, and there is an outlet nearby to me so that isn't an issue for me
Old 12-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Neal or Steve, how did you mount your slave cylinder for the clutch and did you use the standard cylinder that came with the donar car???? I am finished installing the 605 convertion steering box and it takes up the majority of he room on where I was going to mount the Slave cylinder. Any help or pictures you could offer would be very helpful.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Teching In

my T56 is the one especially made to use the original style mechanical linkage

no hydraulic system at all

and my car has a 605 box too
Old 12-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Teching In

What about you Steve? What style clutch are you going to put in your car (manual or hydro.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm planning on using hydraulic clutch but I haven't put it in yet. I picked up a pedal assembly that came with a clutch master and brake booster and master cyl on ebay. It originally came from kugelkomponents.com . I'm not positive it will work yet. I've got to find out more about the fluid volume and pressure needed since I believe this clutch master has a larger piston.

Last edited by 55chevy; 12-17-2005 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: LS1 in 56` Chevy Wagon