Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s10 ls1ers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006 | 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad4Point3SS
ok I gotta a question.
How about using the corvette oil pan? I heard its i guess not as deep and has fins to keep cool.
Just remember the c5 and c6 vette oilpans are totally different animals. The c5 wont even come close to fitting,but the c6 is comparable to an fbody oilpan with baffles and fits pretty good especially with lowered trucks.
Old 06-24-2006 | 03:27 PM
Teching In

So with the c6 pan would be better than using a modified 5.3 pan?
Old 06-24-2006 | 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

From what I've heard. Thats what I'm figuring to do. It has similar dimensions is lower and has the baffeling to keep the oil where you want it.
Old 06-24-2006 | 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad4Point3SS
So with the c6 pan would be better than using a modified 5.3 pan?
The 5.3 oilpan hangs about 2 inches below the crossmember and the c6 is about 2 inches above the bottom of the crossmember,Makes all the difference in the world on a lowered truck.
Old 06-25-2006 | 04:29 PM
Launching!

question. are there any of you ls1 s10 guys who do NOT have an automatic mated to your motor and maybe have a t56 or something. just curious to see if there are any manual trans s10's.
Old 06-25-2006 | 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake
The 5.3 oilpan hangs about 2 inches below the crossmember and the c6 is about 2 inches above the bottom of the crossmember,Makes all the difference in the world on a lowered truck.
see, i wonder how it will affect my truck, being that its an x-treme, and its well, lower than a regular s-10, i have a 6.0l oil pain, but its also out of a work van, so i think its a diff pan? (correct me if im wrong) because i know the accessories are different being that the front of the engine compartment drops off and is at a slope to begin with, we will be getting my old 4.3l and everything out within the next 2 weeks
Old 06-25-2006 | 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xtremes10
see, i wonder how it will affect my truck, being that its an x-treme, and its well, lower than a regular s-10, i have a 6.0l oil pain, but its also out of a work van, so i think its a diff pan? (correct me if im wrong) because i know the accessories are different being that the front of the engine compartment drops off and is at a slope to begin with, we will be getting my old 4.3l and everything out within the next 2 weeks
The 5.3 and the 6.0 oilpan are the same from what I've seen.I have a zq8 suspension (same as extreme) + an additional 2/3 drop and I can tell you just looking at it the truck oilpan would sit WAY to low.If you just have the stock extreme suspension you might be able to get away with it.
Old 06-26-2006 | 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Figure'd I'd update my progress on my project.....

The Engine, Trans, and Transfercase are in, hopefully for the last time!

Harness from Current Performance showed up Friday, looks beautiful.

Put the truck on the car trailer and took it to the local driveshaft shop. He took a bunch of measurements so that he can shorten the rear driveshaft and build me a custom front driveshaft. I'm just hoping that it won't feel like I'm getting the shaft.

Got a bunch of details to work through:
Exhaust - I have modified a set of f-body manifolds, they fit and miss the steering shaft, but there aren't any flanges on them anymore. Got to build a y-pipe assembly and mount the new Cat.... Have a single 3" cat back system coming from JBA.

Cooling - Have the radiator, and a set of f-body cooling fans. Just need to make it all play nice & fit (and clear the accessories).

Fuel - tank is still sitting in storage. Need to figure out the plumbing (what I'm going to use where) and get busy.

Coils - need to build custom brackets to mount the coils. Stock location interferes with the AC box & Brake booster on both rear coils.

AC compressor bracket. Need to figure out how & where (exactly) to mount the AC compressor, since I'm not willing to spend the $$$ on the S & P stuff.

Also need to install trans cooler & lines, remote oil filter & lines, front accessories and lines (radiator hoses, heater hoses, power steering hoses).

And little details like throttle cables, shifter cable, PCV hoses, brake booster hose.....

Wow.....Beginning to sound like alot of work. Guess I'd better get to it...

I probably need to see about snapping some pictures sometime soon. Haven't taken any as yet.....

'JustDreamin'
Old 06-26-2006 | 02:31 PM
Teching In

Sounds badass! But yeah some pictures would be nice haha
Old 06-27-2006 | 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Okay so I just did some searching for the oil pan question. I know you can use a modifed C/K pan 5.3L/6.0L but I am worried about the ground clearance also. I thought you could use a C6 pan AND get the better oil control for the baffeling. But now you guys (Jake and Dreamin) are saying two different things. So I guess if anyone has pics or can definitavley say one way or the other it would be great.
Old 06-27-2006 | 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Jake it was back in April (page 21) that you said you ordered a C6 LS2 pan. Did you get it? Does it fit? With how much and what kind of mods? And most importantly do you have PICTURES? Thanks as allways good info and help around here.
Old 06-27-2006 | 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firefighter
Okay so I just did some searching for the oil pan question. I know you can use a modifed C/K pan 5.3L/6.0L but I am worried about the ground clearance also. I thought you could use a C6 pan AND get the better oil control for the baffeling. But now you guys (Jake and Dreamin) are saying two different things. So I guess if anyone has pics or can definitavley say one way or the other it would be great.
What do you want to know? Both pans would either need to be modified or the crossmember cut to fit(whichever your more comfortable with cutting).I don't know anyone around here that can reliably weld aluminum and I didn't want to reduce the capacity of oil in the pan. So I decided to modify the crossmember for the c6 oilpan and get better ground clearance in the process.For the c6 oilpan you have to cut the top of the crossmember.With the 5.3 oilpan you have to cut about 2 inches off the backside of the crossmember.Earlier in the thread a guy had his crossmember modded for a 5.3 oilpan and ended up with the c6 pan https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=366
Old 06-27-2006 | 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firefighter
Jake it was back in April (page 21) that you said you ordered a C6 LS2 pan. Did you get it? Does it fit? With how much and what kind of mods? And most importantly do you have PICTURES? Thanks as allways good info and help around here.
Yes I got it and I have it sitting in the truck.It's still hitting in a couple of spots(some adjustment in the motor mounts should cure that).I haven't had a chance to work on it for a while or get any pics hopefully later in the week though.
Old 06-27-2006 | 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Man I totally breezed by those pics I saw the headers and thought he was talking about something else. So it looks like you gotta cut less to put in the C6 pan. I like the way that looks ALOT better. If you happen to get a chance give us a brief description of how you did it when you are done of course, and no rush And believe me I understand the not having time thing and it'll get worse here soon for me.
Old 06-28-2006 | 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hi, has anyone tried to use Truck/G-Van manifolds?

How about SSR/Trailblazer manifolds?

GTO/CTS-V?

Just wondering, with the MANY different manifold options these days, if any of them will work better than the common "cut/fab" setups?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006 | 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also...

Does anyone make a tubular K membmer for the S10's?

That would make the oil pan/ac compressor issues go away.

Maybe, if enough of us got together, one of the sponsors will build it for us.
Old 06-28-2006 | 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NO-OPTION-2002
Also...

Does anyone make a tubular K membmer for the S10's?

That would make the oil pan/ac compressor issues go away.

Maybe, if enough of us got together, one of the sponsors will build it for us.
the only problem with that is the fact that our crossmembers aren't the same as the ones on fbodies. they don't simply unbolt. the crossmember is a part of the frame. its welded in.

edit: i stole this picture from s10forum.com

Last edited by RedSpeck09; 06-28-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2006 | 08:28 PM
Launching!

Cool Finished my long tubes

Well I finished building my 1.75" long tubes ...WHATTA BITCH! Took me about 2 weeks of cutting fitting and welding. I cant beleive how much time they took me. Now I know why custom headers cost so much. I've never really fabbed anything before and for my first time I'd say it came out OK or at least I'm happy with the results. They aint pretty but they should function reasonably well. I just sent them to Jet-Hot last night for Jet-Hot2000 coating to hopefully have them last forever cuz I dont ever wanna do that again.

They started out as full size truck pacesetters and every single pipe had to be cut off cuz none fit at all. I bought some J-bends from summit as extra pipe and used 6 of those J-bends along with most of the original pacesetter piping, flanges and collectors. I think it would have been easier and less expensive to have just bought more J-bends and the collectors and flanges separate from summit . Oh well live and learn.

You can see where the steering shaft passes under cyls 1&3 piping in pic 3. I'll put up more pics after coating and installed later. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails s10 ls1ers-img_0722.jpg   s10 ls1ers-img_0723.jpg   s10 ls1ers-img_0725.jpg  
Old 06-28-2006 | 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

the only problem with that is the fact that our crossmembers aren't the same as the ones on fbodies. they don't simply unbolt. the crossmember is a part of the frame. its welded in.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-28-2006 | 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bigdeezs...

Those are damned impressive. Congrats.

Quick Reply: s10 ls1ers