Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push Button Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the silver one looks good, as does the red.. I'd be concerned about quality though.. A shoddy switch failing would SUCK!
oh btw they sell those at autozone.
olly
Old 01-04-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
the silver one looks good, as does the red.. I'd be concerned about quality though.. A shoddy switch failing would SUCK!
olly
Maybe a genuine Honda S2000 would be a better option for quality?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, the honda s2000 push button will work.
here is a halfway decent writeup, though it takes a while to load. http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...e%20Switch.mht button is off a honda s2000 and u need the key in the ignition for it to work (which seems smart, incase someone decides to steal it)..
Old 01-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Launching!

what i was thinking was using a vacuum switch or an oil pressure switch to where if there is no pressure then it starts the engine ..and if there is pressure or vacuum then the relay will activate and once you press it turns the engine off and then you can have a safety switch to where engine wont start or stop while on gear or maybe use an rpm switch
Old 01-04-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...ial_s%26sa%3DG

cool site with a bunch of buttons

is it true that the new c6 vettes have push button starting systems? Any other gm vehicles have this option?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Conversion master

Both the C6 and Caddy XLR have the push to start and stop feature.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eh, im a fan of the "less is more" kind of look.
rather then a push button ignition, have you given any thought to going the other way? swap the column for one without a keyhole, and hide the ignition key location? you still might use the pushbutton or whatever, but its less "obvious" that way...

or perhaps a mix of the two... hide the key switch under the dash or seat or something, and put the pushbutton in the column....
Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
eh, im a fan of the "less is more" kind of look.
rather then a push button ignition, have you given any thought to going the other way? swap the column for one without a keyhole, and hide the ignition key location? you still might use the pushbutton or whatever, but its less "obvious" that way...

or perhaps a mix of the two... hide the key switch under the dash or seat or something, and put the pushbutton in the column....
Im probably going to put the push button on the dash and the key/toggle inside the center console.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Conversion master

The 68 Corvette column has no key hole so that is what I am going with. Probably hide the key under the dash and hide the button on the dash. Stealthy is what I'm going for.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is "keyless technology"? The keyless technology found in the XLR is the first application for The General. This new roadster has no door handles, but, if your key fob is in your pocket, purse or nearby, you can just push buttons on the door. Once inside, you also press the Start button, and shift into gear.[/B]
Just a crazy idea but what would it take to make a keyless setup like the new XLR??
Old 01-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Conversion master

Basically you have a small transmitter in your key fob. The car recognizes the unique signal from your fob and unlocks the doors. It also enables the start button to work. The C6 and XLR actually have 2 fobs that come with them and will set the car differently for the individual driver. Kind of like having automatic memory presets that adjust as you get near the car.

I am working on that too, but that is going to take a while.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

70LS1 I was wondering if you had a drawing of that push button start/stop yet. Also if you ever get that Keyless fob thing figured out that would be one heck of an upgrade to theft deterrant. if you could let me know about the drawing for the start/stop button id be much abliged. Thanks for all the help
Old 01-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Conversion master

Still working out the bugs. Seems I keep making it more complicated. Shoule be pretty soon.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
olly
I just put the stock Honda S2000 one in my Trans Am....although it doesn't have the "kill switch" option, it looks very similar to the one pictured on page 1 of this thread, and has a red face. I personally don't think it looks ricey at all. But everyone has their own opinion.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I just put the stock Honda S2000 one in my Trans Am....although it doesn't have the "kill switch" option, it looks very similar to the one pictured on page 1 of this thread, and has a red face. I personally don't think it looks ricey at all. But everyone has their own opinion.

that does look nice
Old 01-11-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also found a guy that sells the sr10 ones on ebay for like $35 but they dont have the nice bezel like the s2000 one does

Old 01-11-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jimmyp
that does look nice
Thanks, I try to keep anything custom done to my car, clean looking.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Was just looking to do this...any updates from you guys that have done this? Would like to switch to a fob activation (bypass the key setup) so I can just keep a fob in my pocket and hit the start button when I get it.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Teching In

The proper way to do the push button start/stop switch is to use a microcontroler with a RFID reader attached to it that would read the signal from a RFID tag keyfob and turn on the ignition when it is within range. After that, you push the start button and she fires up. Run a fused and resistored lead to an imput on the microcontroller to tell it when the engine is running to prevent accidental gear grindage and swap the buttons function to kill the engine. Or it could do like mine does and disable the button when it senses voltage from the alternator. Then, when you get out of the car and the keyfob moves out of range, the microcontroller shuts the ignition off. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. You can get a cheap microcontroller from ry's or rRadioshack for under $30, and an RFID reader and a couple RFID fobs for uround $50 and be set. They both come with software to program them to do what you need them to do.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 68_C10_408_stroker
The proper way to do the push button start/stop switch is to use a microcontroler with a RFID reader attached to it that would read the signal from a RFID tag keyfob and turn on the ignition when it is within range. After that, you push the start button and she fires up. Run a fused and resistored lead to an imput on the microcontroller to tell it when the engine is running to prevent accidental gear grindage and swap the buttons function to kill the engine. Or it could do like mine does and disable the button when it senses voltage from the alternator. Then, when you get out of the car and the keyfob moves out of range, the microcontroller shuts the ignition off. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. You can get a cheap microcontroller from ry's or rRadioshack for under $30, and an RFID reader and a couple RFID fobs for uround $50 and be set. They both come with software to program them to do what you need them to do.
Excellent... we were just looking at some bluetooth proximity stuff for ideas but this information is useful!

Quick Reply: Push Button Ignition