Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting a 4th gen radiator in a 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mounting a 4th gen radiator in a 3rd gen?

I am having a little trouble trying to come up with a way to do this so that it is secure enough, and doesn't look like a hack job. What has everyone else done that has done this? Please post up pics if you have any.

Chris
Old 01-07-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default here are some pics

This is what I have so far. I thought that I could just cut a 2 inch section of the black piece that holds the top of the radiator, and the mounting rubber pieces and the holes would just line up. It did not work like I thought it would. I need a way to do this so that it is secure, and looks clean and not all hacked up.
Attached Thumbnails Mounting a 4th gen radiator in a 3rd gen?-100_1839small.jpg   Mounting a 4th gen radiator in a 3rd gen?-100_1840small.jpg   Mounting a 4th gen radiator in a 3rd gen?-100_1842small.jpg   Mounting a 4th gen radiator in a 3rd gen?-100_1843small.jpg  
Old 01-08-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt, come on here guys!
Old 01-09-2006, 06:44 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe i spoke with you via email.
im not sure what pics you have seen, if any, but let me know if i can help.
Attached Thumbnails Mounting a 4th gen radiator in a 3rd gen?-may17-08.jpg  
Old 01-10-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

So a 4th gen rad fits in a thirdgen? How much work did you have to do to make if fit and look like it belongs under the hood? The reason I am asking is because I was going to have a custom aluminum 3rd gen rad made for my LS1 swap but if the 4th gen rad fits it will save me some money.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it doesnt really fit.
every single one ive seen (about 8) either looks like a hackjob, or they redid the entire metal radiator support section on the bottom for it to fit right. the only way you can make it fit in there and look halfway decient is to cut and modify the bottom radiator support area.

i ended up keeping my stock 3rdgen radiator.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
it doesnt really fit.
every single one ive seen (about 8) either looks like a hackjob, or they redid the entire metal radiator support section on the bottom for it to fit right. the only way you can make it fit in there and look halfway decient is to cut and modify the bottom radiator support area.

Did you have yours re-cored or do any modifications to it? ive heard that sometimes the thirdgen ones are capable of keeping the LS1 cool?
Old 01-10-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 91sbcamaro
Did you have yours re-cored or do any modifications to it? ive heard that sometimes the thirdgen ones are capable of keeping the LS1 cool?
the later 3rdgens have the same alum core and plastic end tank design as the LT1 and LS1 radiators.... the core is almost identical... only the end tanks are molded diffrently.

my LS1 has never gone anywhere near overheating, even in traffic or idling after raggin on it hard, in high humidity, upper 90s/lower100* weather.... and i have "only" the single electric fan..
Old 01-10-2006, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

the later 3rdgens have the same alum core and plastic end tank design as the LT1 and LS1 radiators.... the core is almost identical... only the end tanks are molded diffrently.

my LS1 has never gone anywhere near overheating, even in traffic or idling after raggin on it hard, in high humidity, upper 90s/lower100* weather.... and i have "only" the single electric fan..
wow sweet, good thing i get to keep mine! and i got 2 cooling fans so that will always help
Old 01-10-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, tj it is me, thanks for the help, I think that I am going to use your setup. looks profesional.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:04 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

it doesnt really fit.

mine looks completely factory other than a bit of road rash on the top of the fan shroud, and you really cant see it unless i point it out.
got them from a frontal impact car.

my ls1 fans fit without modifying the car. i used the 93-97 radiator hold down.
i didnt cut or chop or hackjob the chassis at all.
it has to sit in a certain position t fit properly, but it can be done.
ive seen other people do it as well, and it does like crap.
really the only reason i did it is to say i did it. my stock replacement 3rd gen rad did the job just fine, prolly a few degrees better, as the ls1 version is a few inches smaller in width.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

TJ,

Did you swap to R&P? When I tried the LS1 rad with it's fans they were hitting the stock steering box bad..

Kevin D.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:08 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shr00m-dew
TJ,

Did you swap to R&P? When I tried the LS1 rad with it's fans they were hitting the stock steering box bad..

Kevin D.
mmmmmm.
i have a manual steering box off an s10 on the car. there is no room whatsoever there, as i had to push down with a bit of force, but not too much to get it to fit.
if you stand the rad strait up, there is actually more room than trying to put it in at an angle.

the s10 box is the same size as the factory in the front, so i dont see a PS box being an issue, tho ive heard of some guys just cutting off the shroud in that area to clear it.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Hmm. I cut the shroud a bit and still think I had issues. I might have gotten it to fit but couldn't see an easy way to get the top piece on. I'm trying to get a ram-air filter worked out with my hood, so I may use the stock LS1 air filter pieces and top cap and try the radiator again.

My Wife's parents live in Pensacola, next time we're down after the car is finished we will have to meet up and compare.

Kevin D.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:03 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shr00m-dew
Hmm. I cut the shroud a bit and still think I had issues. I might have gotten it to fit but couldn't see an easy way to get the top piece on. I'm trying to get a ram-air filter worked out with my hood, so I may use the stock LS1 air filter pieces and top cap and try the radiator again.

My Wife's parents live in Pensacola, next time we're down after the car is finished we will have to meet up and compare.

Kevin D.
heck yea man, LMK!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

my concern was that the filler cap would hit the hood, does it? I want to utilize the radiator so i can hook up the sensors that go to it and the same
for my dual fans i want to be able to have the computer control the fans, i have a complete 1999 m6 donor car im using so as much as i can get from
that car the better..
Old 09-09-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

The fill cap does not hit the hood

FWIW, the 3rd gen rad is larger than any 4th gen rads. Mounting the fans simply requires trimming the shroud and upper hold down. The steam line can go to the heater core port
Use a 93-95 V6 Fbody upper hose and a jeep lower

Quick Reply: Mounting a 4th gen radiator in a 3rd gen?