Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 pullout eBay scam

Take a look at these two auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/02-FIREBIRD-TRAN...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/02-CAMARO-Z28-SS...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, weird how similar they look, in fact, if I didn't know any better, I'd say they were from the same place. Except one is in Virginia and one is in Florida. Notice how cheap they are at the moment, especially being from '02 cars with no reserve or Buy It Now price? Oh, and the members have January '06 join dates, both yahoo e-mails and 0 feedback.

Be careful guys, this stinks like rotten carp. Be on the lookout for this kind of stuff.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those listing scream "SCAM"

0 feedback seller
Private IDs for buyers, so I cant even help the bidders out by sending them a message
Old 01-10-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

everyone has to start somewhere.

i dont know where you guys are basing this scam on, i could be wrong, but we all start with 0 on ebay.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Which one is in Florida? If it is anywhere nearby, maybe I'll go check it out.
Also, it is definitely the same place, there is a picture in each one that shows the same white drum agains the wall in the background.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Someone should run a carfax report on the VIN's and see what happens
Old 01-10-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

not necessarily, atleast id hope. alot of those engine start out at .01 and at the end of 5 days they are around 2k. maybe they just used the same outline for the page, or sumtin? i like to give em the benefit of the doubt atleast.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

lol its listed in the wooden toys section. haha. what a retard!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

see, it just doesn't seem right. True all ebayers start with 0, but I didn't start selling high dollar items until at least 150. they need to seel some cheap items, or even buy stuff so you can chat with a previous buyer/seller that dealt with this person. and whats with the private bidders? And I hate poeple that don't state where they are located.

May be legit (doubt it), but I wouldn't put my hard earned cash up as a test.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

paypal and ebay have buyers protection, id buy that motor if i needed it.

also the first few thing i bought/sold on ebay were all over 1g. you dont have to start small...
Old 01-10-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

but why would they have the exact same listings under 2 different names? why not just sale both of them with one user name? thats where it gets fishy
Old 01-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Vin on the first one shows it is a 2002 Firebird Formula/Trans Am that went through a Booneville, MS salvage facility in Nov 2004.

The second one shows to be from a 2002 Camaro Z28 that went through the same recycler in May of 2005.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

maybe it doesnt allow 2 or sumtin....
Old 01-10-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_Zach
paypal and ebay have buyers protection, id buy that motor if i needed it.
LMAO!

obviously, you've never had to use or work thru this "buyers protection"..

you are just as alone and on your own on eBay, as you are on the classifieds here or another website...
Old 01-10-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

i had a prob with an amp and they gave me my money back and fought with the company.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They were clearly scam auctions, and Ebay has removed them. These guys do not take Paypal no matter what they say in their listing. These listings are getting so common now days that it getting harder and harder to know who to trust. Even good feedback does not give any assurance, since it is so common now to hijack someone's account. The only way to buy from a seller that doesn't give you warm, fuzzy feelings, is to pick up from him in your truck and pay him on pickup. When you tell him that this is how you are going to complete the sale, you will never hear from him again! One guy was selling brand-new LS2 engines, and required you to pay him with a cashiers check so he could pay his supplier before he ordered it. When I told him I would pay cash on delivery, he balked, go figure! There are suckers born every minute, if there were not, then these guys would not be so abundant. Be careful out there, if it sounds too good to be true, then it is!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 01-10-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by John McGraw
They were clearly scam auctions, and Ebay has removed them. These guys do not take Paypal no matter what they say in their listing. These listings are getting so common now days that it getting harder and harder to know who to trust. Even good feedback does not give any assurance, since it is so common now to hijack someone's account. The only way to buy from a seller that doesn't give you warm, fuzzy feelings, is to pick up from him in your truck and pay him on pickup. When you tell him that this is how you are going to complete the sale, you will never hear from him again! One guy was selling brand-new LS2 engines, and required you to pay him with a cashiers check so he could pay his supplier before he ordered it. When I told him I would pay cash on delivery, he balked, go figure! There are suckers born every minute, if there were not, then these guys would not be so abundant. Be careful out there, if it sounds too good to be true, then it is!

Regards, John McGraw
Yup thats another flag, a seller taht doesn't want to accept Paypal.

Did any of you guys see this auction? Looks like a hijacked account:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...&iid=-1&de=off
Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV

Did any of you guys see this auction? Looks like a hijacked account:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...&iid=-1&de=off

TONS of ipods, psp's cameras, etc
i really feel for those people. Note how he/she had 3 negatives out of 100 something previously. most likely a hijack.
makes me sick
olly
Old 01-10-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah sucks that he burned so many people at Xmas time. Add it up, 120 auctions at $250-400 thats a lot of cash.

I almost got burnt like this 3 Xmas ago. I bid on a new product that sold for too low of a price. Seller only wanted MO (no Paypal). I noticed he was only 2 hrs away, so I asked if I could pay cash and pick up locally. No reply. I waited and didnt send money. slowly one by one, the negative feedbacks rolled in.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

There are a bunch of ist gen camaros on there for cheap buyitnow. I got a story that he was out of the country and it was here and needed to sell it. He wanted to use a "3rd party" and only go thru ebay to collect half the money and when the car was delivered and i liked it, i would send him the rest he would even pay shipping. So i got a letter that looked official from ebay stateing this guy contacted them and to send a western union to some guy in england for half and the money won't be released until i am satisfied with the car. I sent the email to ebay fraud for verification and they replied fast saying never send western union its a scam and you can't get your money back. I new it had to be a scam, I 'm glad i didn't get caught.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ahowudoin
There are a bunch of ist gen camaros on there for cheap buyitnow. I got a story that he was out of the country and it was here and needed to sell it. He wanted to use a "3rd party" and only go thru ebay to collect half the money and when the car was delivered and i liked it, i would send him the rest he would even pay shipping. So i got a letter that looked official from ebay stateing this guy contacted them and to send a western union to some guy in england for half and the money won't be released until i am satisfied with the car. I sent the email to ebay fraud for verification and they replied fast saying never send western union its a scam and you can't get your money back. I new it had to be a scam, I 'm glad i didn't get caught.
Yeah, as I was reading your post I was about to reply "classic car scam"

Quick Reply: LS1 pullout eBay scam