Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd gen F-body LS1 guys come in....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Seventi6
Can the stock motor mounts from an LS1 Camaro/Firebird be used for an LS Swap into a Third Gen? Or are the Hawks motor mounts my ONLY choice? Thanks.
looks like Hawk's just sells the Spohn plates. They accept stock clamshell style mounts or aftermarket polys. I used them on both of my swaps. bolted right in, worked great. Everything said and done, its just 3 pieces of welded metal, i'm sure there's a few other companies out there, but my third gens were always plastered with Red Spohn equip under them lol

also as a side note, if you havnt invested in subframe connectors, do so now before you crack a windshield lol
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HartAttack
3rd.... What kind of results have you gotten power wise with the setup's you do have?
Thanks for any input
relatively stock (Gt-2 cam and tune) 98 ls1 made 305hp/375tq through a th400 and a loose *** 3k stall. that was using 2000 f-body manifolds
Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a y pipe you can buy for a third Gen ls swap with factory fbody manifolds? Muffler shops around here are shady and wont build one for me without cats. Does anyone have a usefd one for sale? I'm doing a single Turbo setup but I was throwing the idea around of putting the engine in naturally aspirated for now. My brothers going to build custom stainless headers for the Turbo system but hes busy with his project and the spring weather got me itching. I Just wanna drive this thing!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

i figured by now someone would have come up with a y-pipe solution for the stock manifolds, but nothing yet. i've got a set of the 01/02 manifolds, still waiting to get my ypipe done

I'm using the 1" setback motor mount plates. reuses the old clamshell mount setup with the lsx motors.

will take the car to get tuned once everything's running; lq9 block, l92 heads, ls3 intake. should be some nice numbers
Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blownz28man
I've heard Hawks is not selling SSW headers. Some knock offs. Theres a thread on thirdgen.org about it. "BlueZee's" header flanges are already rusting ect. But I could be worng. research first
Yes, no, sort of... It's hard to figure out unles you've read all the threads.

Hawk's sells three headers:

2" Stainless Works
1-3/4" Stainless Works
1-5/8" Polished Chinese made knock offs of the Stainless Works.

When the knock-off's came out, he offered a group purchase. Never said they were Stainless Works, but everyone assumed they were. So the not quite the same quality along with the initial batch having fitment problems kind of created a stink.

Unless you are running a 4.8 or 5.3, not worth the savings to get the cheaper ones.

Kevin D.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

When the knock-off's came out, he offered a group purchase. Never said they were Stainless Works, but everyone assumed they were. So the not quite the same quality along with the initial batch having fitment problems kind of created a stink.
The recent stink up is because people ordering SSW headers often receive the knockoffs. When you contact Hawks about their mistake, they say oh, we're sorry and send the correct ones. The problem lies that Hawks does it way too often for it to be a mistake and he's preying on people not to measure the headers when they arrive
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbo iroc
Does anyone know if there is a y pipe you can buy for a third Gen ls swap with factory fbody manifolds? Muffler shops around here are shady and wont build one for me without cats. Does anyone have a usefd one for sale? I'm doing a single Turbo setup but I was throwing the idea around of putting the engine in naturally aspirated for now. My brothers going to build custom stainless headers for the Turbo system but hes busy with his project and the spring weather got me itching. I Just wanna drive this thing!
check with stainless works, or SPD exhaust. im pretty sure they make flanges to go to the stock manifolds and you can just buy some bends and weld it together on your own.

Originally Posted by shr00m-dew
Yes, no, sort of... It's hard to figure out unles you've read all the threads.

Hawk's sells three headers:

2" Stainless Works
1-3/4" Stainless Works
1-5/8" Polished Chinese made knock offs of the Stainless Works.

Unless you are running a 4.8 or 5.3, not worth the savings to get the cheaper ones.

Kevin D.
i wouldnt go with the cheaper ones on a motor i was going to dump off a cliff. you are right on the lower hp motors, it wont make a difference, but the collector design on the cheap headers is horrible. there should have been a definate clarification about what headers were being sold.

Originally Posted by Pocket
The recent stink up is because people ordering SSW headers often receive the knockoffs. When you contact Hawks about their mistake, they say oh, we're sorry and send the correct ones. The problem lies that Hawks does it way too often for it to be a mistake and he's preying on people not to measure the headers when they arrive
are they lazy, dont care, or are they really crooked? no way to know. ive read as many good threads as ive heard negatives, so hard to say.

if you already have your k member setup for small block chevy mounts, hooker, heddman, trans dapt and several others make an adapter plate to use your standard mounts.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Here is a link from Thirdgen.org that has some good info some other options for headers on a thrid gen set up.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...these-ssr.html
Old 04-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks 82z28macdady,

I'm swapping an LS2 into my 89 'bird (2.8 V6 originally) and keep it CA LEGAL. Do you know if the stock pulley setup from an LS1 F-body would fit in mine? I really don't want to go out and but the March setup $$$$$$$$$.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Read the swap sticky on TGO. To answer your question, yes, Fbody accessories fit the LS2 just fine. GTO LS2 and corvette accessories also fit without issue
Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks Pocket,

I was certain they would fit the engine, I was concerned with them fitting the engine compartment. I'm not sure how much the engine bay changed between the 3rd & 4th gens.

-Seventi6
Old 04-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the polished longtubes sold by Hawks on my car, unfortunately they're the 1 5/8" primaries but Bruce is working on getting me a set of 1 3/4" to swap out with soon. He asked me to give him a month and then call him back...

On my setup, I made 420rwhp/407 ft.lbs through those headers, it's a 6.0 with LS6 intake, MS4 cam which is 239/242 duration, 64x lift on a 111LSA, 25% underdrive crank pulley, and that's about it. Pretty good numbers.

My dad's '89 IROC-Z has an LS1 in it and he went with 4th gen shorties. There's really no reason to go with those over manifolds except for making it look more pretty. You realy only see gains when upgrading to the longtubes. Either way, the aftermarket swap lontubes, manifolds, and shorty 4th gen headers will all work with some custom y pipe craftsmanship.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen F-body LS1 guys come in....