Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0/4L80 into 70 Impala

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006 | 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Question 6.0/4L80 into 70 Impala

Has anybody put a 6.0l and 4L80 into a 70 Impala? I guess it would be the same for a 69 Impala, or for a Caprice. Any specific problems, parts needed...? Any good parts source for this conversion? In a word, what do I need to know???
Thanks!
Old 01-19-2006 | 08:56 PM
Teching In

I have that combo in a 68 Impala convertible. The first thing is don't try to use the truck oilpan, I did, my first mistake. It will work if you cut 3inches from the crossmember.but the pan sits about 2inches from the ground. I went with a S&P modified oil pan and I am not sure but I think you may still have to cut the crossmember but there is a lot more room with the f body pan. Then comes the problems with the motor mounts.On a 68 it is rear steer and the plates you can buy from S&P to mount early style motor mounts to the ls1 that is supose to bolt right back to the old frame mounts will work but I was only able to turn the wheels 3/4 of the way. I had to move the motor back 1inch which moves the frame mounts off the crossmember. I had to weld some metal to support them and then gusset it. On mine I had two trany x members mounts so I cut one set off and moved them to the rear of the other set by about 1 inch. The last problem was the BIG 4l80. It will fit but you have to mount the x member below the fram mounts which I don't like and am think of swaping to a 4l60. The cooling lines have to have a 90 degree elbo no longer than 1.5 inches from the fitting. Did I say it is a tight fit. Any other help I can give pm me and we can swap phone numbers Good luck Woody
Old 01-19-2006 | 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by woody69
I have that combo in a 68 Impala convertible. The first thing is don't try to use the truck oilpan, I did, my first mistake. It will work if you cut 3inches from the crossmember.but the pan sits about 2inches from the ground. I went with a S&P modified oil pan and I am not sure but I think you may still have to cut the crossmember but there is a lot more room with the f body pan. Then comes the problems with the motor mounts.On a 68 it is rear steer and the plates you can buy from S&P to mount early style motor mounts to the ls1 that is supose to bolt right back to the old frame mounts will work but I was only able to turn the wheels 3/4 of the way. I had to move the motor back 1inch which moves the frame mounts off the crossmember. I had to weld some metal to support them and then gusset it. On mine I had two trany x members mounts so I cut one set off and moved them to the rear of the other set by about 1 inch. The last problem was the BIG 4l80. It will fit but you have to mount the x member below the fram mounts which I don't like and am think of swaping to a 4l60. The cooling lines have to have a 90 degree elbo no longer than 1.5 inches from the fitting. Did I say it is a tight fit. Any other help I can give pm me and we can swap phone numbers Good luck Woody
When I was looking around at plates for My 69 Elky, I noticed that S&P has a set of plates that move the motor back 1" more than "normal" so maybe that would be the "easy" (?) way to go? HTHs......... Bill
Old 01-20-2006 | 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

I was also considering these S&P plates, however I am wondering if they'd interfere with the accessories as the plates creep farther towards the front of the engine?

Originally Posted by billg
When I was looking around at plates for My 69 Elky, I noticed that S&P has a set of plates that move the motor back 1" more than "normal" so maybe that would be the "easy" (?) way to go? HTHs......... Bill
Old 01-20-2006 | 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FastKat
I was also considering these S&P plates, however I am wondering if they'd interfere with the accessories as the plates creep farther towards the front of the engine?
I dont see how the AC comp on a F Body setup would clear with them at all. I think a lot of S&Ps stuff is almost "engineered" so you have to buy all their fancy brackets and pulleys. HTHs.......... Bill
Old 01-20-2006 | 11:37 AM
Teching In

No ac on mine yet although I think you are right. I am working on a ls1 in a 1930 model A and I am going to custom build the brackets for it. If it works out I will take all acc, off my 6.0 and put my ls6 intake and cam in and redo my '68. I'll let you know. Thanks Woody
Old 01-20-2006 | 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I know the A/C won't fit with the regular plates (I have a set on and it sure doesn't look like the compressor will fit) but I am also thinking that the one inch longer plates might interfere with the Fbody alternator, too.
Old 10-03-2008 | 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

i have a little 69 impala info on her. can also take pics for u
Old 10-04-2008 | 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

When I fab'd up my plates, I built them to handle both the S&P and BRP engine mount locations.. I then bolted them on to the engine. The front of the passenger side plate will come into contact with the AC compressor and that is why any Swap using S&P style mounts will have to use aftermarket AC or front acc's... I ended up cutting the plates back to BRP style and moved my frame mounts and notched the frame for the AC Compressor... was cheaper to use OEM stuff and the extra fab work didn't take too much extra time..
Old 10-13-2008 | 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Wave 57 i have the same set up as woody 69. 68 impala convertible with a lq4/4l80. I got an f-body oilpan and had S&P cut it for me. I just ordered a custom crossmember from bowtieoverdrives.com----talked to Chris. Got the convertible so A/C was not really a concern, I took it off. I got a million pictures PM if you need to see anything. FYI bczee has a great gas tank set up. Thanks bczee.
Old 10-13-2008 | 05:53 PM
13 Second Truck Club

i built my mounts using a set of mid 80s truck brackets with a set of plates drilled to match the block holes very easy

Quick Reply: 6.0/4L80 into 70 Impala