Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does the PCM need the O.E. low oil and oil pressure sender?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006 | 10:15 AM
RSB
Teching In

Default does the PCM need the O.E. low oil and oil pressure sender?

I'm pretty sure the PCM does not need the low oil level sensor in the pan because the LS1 engine kit installation guide from GM says it's not used in that kit. I plan to put a 1/2 NPT VDO sender in that hole. It would be nice to get a confirmation on this though.

My other question is about the O.E. oil pressure sender on the back of the block. I'd like to replace this with an aftermarket sender for a separate gauge as well. I have heard elsewhere this is no problem, but once again a confirmation would put my mind at ease.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2006 | 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

I do believe you will need the oil pressure sending unit.I believe thats connected into another sensor that will shut down the motor during oil pressure loss my shutting off the fuel pump through the computer.
Old 01-24-2006 | 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

neither is needed. Both sensors feed directly to the IP, not the PCM. All they do is feed the dummy light and pressure gauge.
Old 01-24-2006 | 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2khawk
neither is needed. Both sensors feed directly to the IP, not the PCM. All they do is feed the dummy light and pressure gauge.
Correct. Neither is required.
Old 01-24-2006 | 01:13 PM
TECH Veteran

After I thought about it, I went back and looked it up.

Pressure doesn't go to the PCM, level does. But you don't need it to make the PCM work.
Old 01-25-2006 | 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by y2khawk
After I thought about it, I went back and looked it up.

Pressure doesn't go to the PCM, level does. But you don't need it to make the PCM work.

You beat me to it I just hacked the crap out of my harness and the oil sending one isn't there I freak for a second
Old 01-25-2006 | 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

so if i disconnect the low level sensor, what about the check engine light,will i still get that? THANKS
Old 01-25-2006 | 11:18 AM
RSB
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. It seems that neither of these factory senders are required, for sure in the case where the PCM will be reprogrammed, which is where I'll be going with my conversion.

The LS1 engine kit installation guide (GM PN 88959384) has a section that describes the various sensors. The caption under the picture showing the low oil level sender in the pan says "this sensor is not used in the LS1 engine kit wiring harness".

The kit comes with it's own PCM, so I suspect that the sensor input has been turned off, and in that case would not send a CEL.

I'm using a VDO oil pressure gauge in the factory location that has a 0-80 psi range and an additional 6 psi +/- 2 psi circuit to run a light for low oil pressure. This sender has 1/8 NPT threads, and I found a 16 x 1.5mm to 1/8 NPT bushing adapter at Isspro. It fits perfectly behind the intake manifold as long as the valley cover bolt in the immediate vicinity is replaced with a flat head socket bolt that recesses into a countersink in the cover.

I'm also using a VDO oil temperature sender in the place of the GM low oil sender. It has 1/2 NPT threads, which are perfectly sized to tap into the original sender's location.

Quick Reply: does the PCM need the O.E. low oil and oil pressure sender?