Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Help - 98 LS1 in 88 TransAm GTA

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Help - 98 LS1 in 88 TransAm GTA

Plugging along at this project, probably like everyone else taking a little longer than I thought it would. This is my sons car and his 16th birthday is almost here so working hard to complete. Anyway, we're almost there on wiring but have hit a few I can't figure out. Yes I've got the service manuals for both but my eyes are crossed from looking at circuits.

C230 pin D, Wht - This is shown as a Tach input but I used 105 pin G to feed tach. I had some notes that 105G had right number of pulses for our tachs. So this one is wired but just checking if I'm correct.

C220 pin A - Red, generator feed to instrument cluster. I connected this to the 3rd Gen C100 pin F8 brown wire. I believe this is correct but trying to verify. Also know that somewhere in the alternator circuit I need an 470 ohm resistor. Is this wire the place to put it or does it need to be between the alternator and PCM?

C101 pin A Yellow/Black, VATS starter enable relay and
C220 Pin J Yellow/Black, VATS starter enable output relay
I don't have a clue on these two. I used a VATS bypass module but VATS hasn't been programmed out of the system. I don't have a starter relay either, was planning on running the purple wire from the 3rdGen C100 straight to starter.

C100 pin G Pink, power from ignition fuse. Have some notes on this one that say I need to use a relay but I can't figure out why. 4th gen service manual shows it as a 15 amp fuse circuit w/ no relay. If I do need a new relay can I use the old 3rg Gen MAF Burn Off?

On the 3rd Gen relays the MAF relay is tied into the MAF Burn Off relay with a blue wire. I don't see a requirement for the Burn Off relay in the 4th Gen but can't figure out how to disconnect these too. Actually I see how, remove the blue wire between them but don't understand how it's going to affect either relay. Just can't figure out these two relays and I'm starting to confuse myself.

That's it I think, hopefully I won't find any other wires tucked away today while we're working on it.

Thanks for any/all assist!

Tony
Old 01-28-2006, 01:17 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

C230 pin D, Wht - This is shown as a Tach input but I used 105 pin G to feed tach. I had some notes that 105G had right number of pulses for our tachs. So this one is wired but just checking if I'm correct.

You can plug the tach into either, they are the same circuit (#121) They put out a 4cyl (2 pulse per rev) unless you change the output in the computer.

C220 pin A - Red, generator feed to instrument cluster. I connected this to the 3rd Gen C100 pin F8 brown wire. I believe this is correct but trying to verify. Also know that somewhere in the alternator circuit I need an 470 ohm resistor. Is this wire the place to put it or does it need to be between the alternator and PCM?

Yep, going to the alt light should work just fine. Let me check on that resistor though, thought the lightbulb acted as a resistor.

C101 pin A Yellow/Black, VATS starter enable relay and
C220 Pin J Yellow/Black, VATS starter enable output relay
I don't have a clue on these two. I used a VATS bypass module but VATS hasn't been programmed out of the system. I don't have a starter relay either, was planning on running the purple wire from the 3rdGen C100 straight to starter.

Just hook the purple wire to the starter and disregard these wires.

C100 pin G Pink, power from ignition fuse. Have some notes on this one that say I need to use a relay but I can't figure out why. 4th gen service manual shows it as a 15 amp fuse circuit w/ no relay. If I do need a new relay can I use the old 3rg Gen MAF Burn Off?

You just need a 15A power supply that is hot with the ignition in run and start. You do not have to use a relay as long as you have enough amperage capacity for your ignition switch and wiring so supply another 15A.

On the 3rd Gen relays the MAF relay is tied into the MAF Burn Off relay with a blue wire. I don't see a requirement for the Burn Off relay in the 4th Gen but can't figure out how to disconnect these too. Actually I see how, remove the blue wire between them but don't understand how it's going to affect either relay. Just can't figure out these two relays and I'm starting to confuse myself.

Between what terminals on the relay? can you send me a diagram? PMed my e-mail address.

Quick Reply: Wiring Help - 98 LS1 in 88 TransAm GTA