Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helicoil thread repair - engine stand type

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helicoil thread repair - engine stand type

Went to put my ls1 onto my engine stand, discovered that at least one (10 oclock) bellhosuing hole will need a helicoil repair. Two of the others I will get a thread chaser to clean up and see if I need helicoils there also.

Two of the four bellhousing holes need at least a thread chase. MAde me start to wonder if regular engine stands are really good for AL blocks? Have seen ones that go to where engine mounts go, pictures of ls7's going through production showed large square tubes going to heads.

Whats the prevailing opinion on this:
1) helicoil experience (anyone use the Primer-Free or Heli-guard so dissimilar metal issues don't crop up?

2) engine stand use - standard 4 bolts really ok? Other stands?

Thanks for any inputs, Steve
Old 01-29-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had no issues with my bellhousing bolt holes using a regular 4 bolt engine stand setup on my LS1. I do put a BIG washer between the block and the arms to distribute the weight, and I make sure that the bolts feed completely into the bolt holes.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

The helicoil kit would be an M10-1.50 .. They work just fine, and are in fact stronger than the original threads. I've used an engine stand on several LS1s without issue, I'm guessing someone just overtorqued the original fasteners and pulled the threads out.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Brian / Digitalsolo,
Thanks for the inputs, I'll get strong large washers - can't hurt to spread the load a bit more. I also figure someone just bunged them up - maybe putting it on a stand, or installing a tranny/torque tube adapter...

I got the M10-1.5 heli-coil inserts from NAPA, but they only had the 15mm long ones in stock. I'd really like 20mm to get more thread - 25 would likely bottom out on the blind holes. Have to order the heli-coil insert tool and tap (Brian - you know if regular tap works for the inserts? size?).

Steve
Old 01-30-2006, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

My helicoil kit has tap "570-10" and the drill size is 13/32"

Quick Reply: helicoil thread repair - engine stand type