Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cruise Control?

Putting an LS1 into a Mercedes but the Benz has a bad cruise control amplifier ($150) and their cruise control uses a motor-driven assembly set up for a heim-jointed throttle mechanism. This is going to be a street car with aspirations toward a sports car rather than a drag racer so the cruise is something I want working.

How do I implement cruise control on an LS1? I've read about some kind of box on the firewall for manual throttle LS1 - can that be added to any LS1 engine?

What about the electronic throttle engines - does the cruise come built in to the PCM?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mramay
What about the electronic throttle engines - does the cruise come built in to the PCM?
Judging from what I've seen on trucks, the cruise controll is a seperate box that plugs into the engine harness. It probably takes the speed reading from the vehicles PCM. The hardest part of the project would be connecting the cruise control switch.
Ken
Old 02-04-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could run a drive by wire throttle body with appropriate pcm to run the cruise.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jimmyp
you could run a drive by wire throttle body with appropriate pcm to run the cruise.
Then the drive by wire system has the cruise built into it? That"s a normal function for the electronic throttle system. No extra "boxes" needed.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Default cruise

the cruise from a 89 to 94 gm pick-up (and probably others) is a stand alone cruise and can be implemnted on your conversion. If you find a vehicle that you can get it from you need to get the harness as well. As far as the controles I am not sure what it will take to run it with the controls that already on your car But I am sure that it can be done you will just have to get the schematics and make the adjustments from haness to harness, you will have to get a cable off of a non traction control f body it is 63 or so inches and will snap right into the earlier contol modules. the ls1 control could also be used but it has some of the signals come from the pcm, it will be a little more difficult to make work

Good Luck
fred
Old 02-04-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Then the drive by wire system has the cruise built into it? That"s a normal function for the electronic throttle system. No extra "boxes" needed.

well the drive by wire consists of a pedal/control box and wire harness to the pcm. But Im pretty sure everything else is taken care of in the pcm. Someone else more knowledgable on the subject can say for sure though.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls67
the cruise from a 89 to 94 gm pick-up (and probably others) is a stand alone cruise and can be implemnted on your conversion. If you find a vehicle that you can get it from you need to get the harness as well. As far as the controles I am not sure what it will take to run it with the controls that already on your car But I am sure that it can be done you will just have to get the schematics and make the adjustments from haness to harness, you will have to get a cable off of a non traction control f body it is 63 or so inches and will snap right into the earlier contol modules. the ls1 control could also be used but it has some of the signals come from the pcm, it will be a little more difficult to make work

Good Luck
fred
I would love to run the cc off my 89 truck however i swapped my column for an ididot column with no CC stalk on it. I wonder what it would take to just run a single cruise control button to work with it?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put an LS1 cruise control up for auction on EBay. Not sure what other controls you would need for it. You can see it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Pat
Old 02-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
I just put an LS1 cruise control up for auction on EBay. Not sure what other controls you would need for it. You can see it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Pat
That looks like a good part to put into my garage until I can figure out what is really needed. If you want to end the auction early, give me a price you can live with. Any chance you have the wiring harness, or part of it??

The Benz has a really neat stalk on the column with contacts for up/down cancel/resume that would the thing to have for this. Just gotta figure out which wires go where. Between the PCM, cruise, starter, etc., that's a lot of wires!!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Default jimmyp

Originally Posted by jimmyp
I would love to run the cc off my 89 truck however i swapped my column for an ididot column with no CC stalk on it. I wonder what it would take to just run a single cruise control button to work with it?
I saw on tv where they installed a custum gm type switch on an ididit column but I dont remeber what show it was. You might ask ididit, bet they could hook you up.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you go with the Corvette drive-by-wire system all you have to do is connect the stalk switch to the TAC box that connects to the PCM to get cruise.

All I had to do was mount the Corvette petal assembly and plug it to the TAC (Throttle Actuator Control) box which then plugs into the PCM then connect wire 4 wires to my stalk switch for ON, Set/Decel, Resume/Acel, brake switch. Instant cruise since the PCM and TAC box control the servo on the throttle body. You can get a custom setup from SpearTech.com or make one from a Corvette.

Contact John at SpearTech.com for more information on the drive-by-wire and how to get cruise to function.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Thanks jdperk! I'm searching for an engine right now and think that, with your help, an electronic throttle unit might be the best way to go. I'm not building a dragster so the electronic throttle would be easier to install.

I remember that in the early Z06 days, the valet key chopped the power back to something around 200 hp so the valet kids wouldn't be able to play with the car. Is that kind of switching still available? I have a chance at an LS6 engine but there will be times that 400+ HP will be too much.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks jdperk! I'm searching for an engine right now and think that, with your help, an electronic throttle unit might be the best way to go. I'm not building a dragster so the electronic throttle would be easier to install.

I remember that in the early Z06 days, the valet key chopped the power back to something around 200 hp so the valet kids wouldn't be able to play with the car. Is that kind of switching still available? I have a chance at an LS6 engine but there will be times that 400+ HP will be too much.

Thanks,
Mike
I am not familure with the Valet key thing but I think that if it is just a program in the PCM that it should be able to be turned on; however if it requires a special keyswitch interface then you would have to incorporate a new keyswitch to read the valet key. SpearTech should be able to answer your questions on that and there are others that have done things like that. Also there are other companies that can program the computer to elliminate what you don't need and turn on things that you specifically want.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks,
Mike
I am not familure with the Valet key thing but I think that if it is just a program in the PCM that it should be able to be turned on; however if it requires a special keyswitch interface then you would have to incorporate a new keyswitch to read the valet key. SpearTech should be able to answer your questions on that and there are others that have done things like that. Also there are other companies that can program the computer to elliminate what you don't need and turn on things that you specifically want.