Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo chevelle gettin there!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006 | 11:27 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

That's aweome!! What state are you in? I'd like to see that car in person one day.
Old 11-11-2006 | 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Las Vegas, NV unfortunately. Do you have any pics of your Camaro? It sounds sick
Old 11-11-2006 | 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 350SS
That was the easiest place for me to mount it off of one of the engine brackets. It's mounted with 1/4" angle iron to the alternator/p/s bracket for support. This was my first real fabrication/turbo build so it's been a learning experience, I would definitely do some things differently if I did it again. Pictures are always hard to see real dimensions in...the wastegate is about 1/4 to 1/2" away from the fan shroud so it should be okay I think. Hopefully things won't move around too much but it might be wishful thinking
I hear ya, that is really an undetaking. There is a ton involoved and yours looks great.

I only asked about the placement because it would have seem more logical to mount the turbo on the passenger side to reduce the exahust piping coming in front of the engine. Please don't take that as a critism, just wants your thoughts on that.

A question I get all the time is, how much time do you have in that? Have you kept a summation of the fab time for that turbo?
Old 11-11-2006 | 01:15 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Originally Posted by 350SS
Las Vegas, NV unfortunately. Do you have any pics of your Camaro? It sounds sick
I've got a bunch of it, I've been meaning to start a thread on it
Old 11-11-2006 | 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whistler
I've got a bunch of it, I've been meaning to start a thread on it
Do it

Old 11-12-2006 | 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pearceleather
I hear ya, that is really an undetaking. There is a ton involoved and yours looks great.

I only asked about the placement because it would have seem more logical to mount the turbo on the passenger side to reduce the exahust piping coming in front of the engine. Please don't take that as a critism, just wants your thoughts on that.

A question I get all the time is, how much time do you have in that? Have you kept a summation of the fab time for that turbo?
I don't mind criticism or questions as long as it's constructive which it usually is around here. It all helps for future buildups. I couldn't really figure out how to put it on the passenger side since there isn't much to mount it off of except the cylinder head and I didn't like how I thought a bracket would turn out if I mounted it off of the head. I agree though if you could it would be better to do it that way or possibly to mount it really low and in the center to equalize the amount of piping from each bank and to keep heat away from things. Also with the exhaust manifolds forward and up instead of down like most of the f-body guys do, it made it more difficult to package, if you mount in the same direction it's running now, but on the passenger side you would have to come out of the turbine with a pretty tight bend which I wansn't crazy about although other guys make plenty of power with tight turns right out of their turbine so I'm not sure how much difference it will really make. One more thing I just thought of to is that even though the GT42 is a midframe turbo, the compressor side is pretty freakin big and was hard for me to get it mounted where it wouldn't be interfering with something (hood, pulleys, manifolds, etc) and still be able to place the outlet in a useful position. As far as heat goes, I think there will be more radiant heat coming from the pipes from the manifolds to the turbine as opposed to the downpipe, and that piping would be pretty similar even if mounted on the other side.

Time? It took a couple days to get the hot side piping setup the way I wanted it and another couple to weld everything together and clean it up. I can't tell you how long I had to stare at things though beforehand. One of my favorite quotes from a car mag I read is "Man if stuff got done by staring this thing would have been running months ago." Now that I think about it it took alot of hours to do other things involved with the turbo also...running the exhaust, mounting the intercooler, fabing the cold side piping. The more I think about it I have alot of time in the setup it could be 100 hrs or maybe 200 I really don't know to be honest.
Old 11-19-2006 | 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

That is a nice setup you have going there. Can't wait to see the finished product. Someday I might get my project going, seeing this is motivation to get started.
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:07 PM
Teching In

updates?
Old 02-13-2007 | 09:05 PM
Launching!

Any updates???? I love Chevelles, having had two friends with 70 SS Chevelles back in the day. The 70-72's are super cool. While not a Chevelle, the last old muscle I've owned was a 72 Olds 442 with a 455. Unfortunately had to sell it a few years ago.

This project looks great.

I stumbled on this actually searching to see if anybody in here was running Hopster wheels. Along that subject I think they look great on your car, but I do think my choice mostly from habit would have been a more drag oriented sizing. However, having said that I certainly recognise this thing could be built to handle like a new car also. I probably would try to run a bigger diameter tire to fill the wheel well up more when viewing from the side. But man thats all nit picking stuff on my part. I just always have liked wheel wells filled with tire from both angles, atleast out back.

Car looks great.

Updates????
Old 02-14-2007 | 12:16 PM
On The Tree

I am anxious to see it run as well, i was thinking a 5.3 swap for my 70 chevelle as well.

Andy
Old 02-15-2007 | 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys...definitely got some updates, but I've been so busy with school and the motor swap on my truck that I haven't had time to post. I'll try to get together some video this weekend to post up. Should be worth the wait
Old 02-15-2007 | 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been following this build since you have posted it up awhile ago, and am really excited to see where you are at now. I really have to tell you that I am sincere when I say that you have really done a fine job! I would really like to have the oppertunity sometime to see the car in person. Where are you located at?

Chris
Old 02-16-2007 | 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by exodus
I have been following this build since you have posted it up awhile ago, and am really excited to see where you are at now. I really have to tell you that I am sincere when I say that you have really done a fine job! I would really like to have the oppertunity sometime to see the car in person. Where are you located at?

Chris
Thanks for the encouragement...I've put alot of time into this thing so far so I'm itching to get it running right, but have other priorities right now. I'm in Las Vegas, NV btw

Max
Old 02-16-2007 | 06:57 PM
Launching!

I'm in Scottsdale, AZ. If I was a little closer, and well .......and didn't have my own stuff man I could see coming up to help out myself. This looks like an awesome car already.

Can't wait to see it progress. Gotta love Chevelles. I remember when they were all over the place. Heck, I remember when everything rollin around had chrome bumpers. Miss all the style. Like rolling art to me.

Keep us updated as you can. Sounds like theres several of us that are hooked, and anxious for a continued fix.
Old 02-17-2007 | 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look forward to hearing and seeing more on this car soon!
Old 03-13-2007 | 04:43 PM
Banned

Very nice looking. It seems like it will never get done but I think you'll be very happy with the GT42. I just clicked the link in your sig when you posted in the truck turbo build. Holy smokes we built the same kit almost!
Old 03-13-2007 | 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by domination
Very nice looking. It seems like it will never get done but I think you'll be very happy with the GT42. I just clicked the link in your sig when you posted in the truck turbo build. Holy smokes we built the same kit almost!
Thanks for the compliment, I thought the same thing when I saw the buildup you're doing on the SS...real nice work. I've been following it on performancetrucks and over on turbomustangs I'd like to give a shot a doing full headers like you did, really ups the wow factor. Keep up the great work.
Old 03-15-2007 | 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

intereesting.

wastegate??

good luck with that bad boy
Old 03-15-2007 | 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by THE_SUPRA
intereesting.

wastegate??

good luck with that bad boy
wAsTeGaTe

Thanks, I'll need it
Old 03-15-2007 | 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

**edit**

sorry, just saw the wg

Quick Reply: turbo chevelle gettin there!