Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx in a '94 Supra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't bother putting an LS1 in a supra. I'd just make the N/A a single turbo setup, you can find complete kits for sale at many supra sites.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

One of the great things about the Supra is the incredibly stout engine. If you were to replace a perfectly fine Supra engine with an LS1 that would seem quite stupid to me. If the Supra were a roller I think it would be a cool project though.

The RX-7 is another story as the rotary is unreliable/hard to modify. But the engine in the Supra is a gem.

I guess in the end its your money and you should do what you want with it. It just seems like a lot of cash to blow on something that really isn't going to improve the performance.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it! Obviously if your looking for the easiest swap/most power it would be in the for of the TT 2JZ, but honestly ive never seen a supra with an LS1, which would be worth it in itself. Plus like someone else already said you save weight off the front of the car with the aluminum block and the sound of a v-8 rumble coming from a supra would be sick. Again I say if you have the means to do it go for it as it would be quite a rare car with the swap.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aceldama
One of the great things about the Supra is the incredibly stout engine. If you were to replace a perfectly fine Supra engine with an LS1 that would seem quite stupid to me. If the Supra were a roller I think it would be a cool project though.

The RX-7 is another story as the rotary is unreliable/hard to modify. But the engine in the Supra is a gem.

I guess in the end its your money and you should do what you want with it. It just seems like a lot of cash to blow on something that really isn't going to improve the performance.
worrrrddddd. I couldn't put it better. Honestly, the stock supra engine is very very strong engine and really shouldn't be swapped for anything. A stock LSx enigine isn't NEARLY as strong as a stock mkiv engine. I've seen stock supra blocks reach close to 1000rwhp. It's crazy.

Don't swap out the engine for an LSx. It's dumb, a waste of money, and just simply doesn't make sense.

Last edited by freakynipples69; 02-15-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both the motors hold boost quite well even the N/A as stated before. I think fixing and turboing the N/A motor is a better bang for buck.

But a v-8 single turboed supra would be a total blast to work on. No matter what you do you'll end up happy with a heck of a motor.

Yes swaping will take more work but the factor of it being a v8 supra might be worth it. That is really up to you I dont think this is a question of is it worth it or is this a good idea its more up to what do you want more.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

I am pretty sure the idea of a V8 supra is nothing new. I am even suspicious that they are available in Japan. I do know for a fact that the Japan GT Car Championship Supras do in fact have V8's. Therefore it can be done and has been. Would definitely make a cool swap.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Teching In

not even close to being worth it imo, unless you have money to burn just to be 'different.'

The NA supra motors and the turbo supra motors are almost one in the same. both have forged internals. the turbo motor just has deeper dish pistons for lower compression, and oil squirters. all you would have to do to the NA motor is put on a 3mm headgasket, gives you the same compression as the turbo motor. or if you want to do things more completely, just change out for turbo pistons. you can piece together turbo kits for the non turbo cars for ~$1500. add a new headgasket to that and you are still at half the cost of just the stock ls1 alone, and already make just as much power. spend the remaining $1500 and get a front mount, fpr, injectors, and boost controller. use a wideband and you are sitting at an easy/daily driveable 450whp.

http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/
Old 02-21-2006, 04:07 AM
On The Tree

I didn't realize the NA engine was so easily modded. That's really interesting.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Flame suit on.

I would rather drop a built 4v DOHC 03-04 Cobra motor.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Turbocharging the stock N/A motor is the ticket.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastkars.com
Flame suit on.

I would rather drop a built 4v DOHC 03-04 Cobra motor.
That'd be pretty cool, actually. They sound sick, and itd probably be one of the only "blown" supras on earth. (as in, not blown by turbos. )
olly
Old 02-24-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im planning on doing it this fall...it shall be fun!
Old 03-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Teching In

As mentioned the LS1 should fit no problem. That 2JZ is enormous!

Yes the 2JZ is baddass, as mentioned even the NA motor can take anything you throw at it, but the real problem pumping up the MKIV NA Supra is the tranny. While the MKIV TT 6pseed is bulletproof and the TT auto isn't bad either, the NA gets weaker ones (whether 5speed manual or auto) and 450RWHP will kill either one pretty soon. Adding in the cost of a TT 6Speed and a good clutch plus the swap and the cost starts rising.

I have seriously looked into this, as I love the MKIV but will not pay 20K+ for a ragged out 93TT. Hell I'm surprised you can find even a MKIV NA at a decent price.

Not to mention that highly modded turbo cars (even the MKIV SupraTT) are always flaking out on you, needing tuning, leaking boost etc, where the LSX just keeps on going no matter how many giant smoking donuts you do in second gear.

Ask me how I know. In fact I have a 89 Supra Turbo for sale right now, always garaged, 80K miles, original condition looks brand spanking new. Highly modded, oh yeah and never tears up, it's not a money pit at all, I swear! Asking 9,000 bones for it.

On the other hand I just totalled my daily driver 2000 Z28 M6 Vert and despite beating the absolute crap out of it every minute I drove it from 60K to 100K miles never had a single problem with the drivetrain. Zilch. Must have put 5 pairs of 275/40/17s out back in those 40K miles!

Therefore I just bought another Supra MKIII, only 64K miles, targa, non-turbo, awesome condition to drive daily until I can get some other daily driver, get the parts together and swap my LS1/T56 into my "new" NA Poopra. Loving this forum!! I have been dreaming of LS1 swaps ever since in 01 my brother smoked me in his 11 second T/A, then drove from GA to Texas and back.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

I've noticed alot of people take the TT supra's and convert them to single to make power easier. I have a buddy up here with a 10 Sec. 780+rwhp Supra. Yeah you guys say they will take 1,000 with a stock block, well that only lasts so long and they will give loose, this guy has tons of money burried into all the best parts on his car. One of those things where there is a right and wrong way to do em. But whatever, add me to loving the LS1 idea.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

do it, the ls1 will make more USEABLE power over all. surethe jz motors make power witha massive turbo but you cant use it.. most cant drive the car to run the times with the numbers those thing put down. dont crucify me, i said most not all.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zigroid
I would do it just to **** off the supra guys.
EXACTLY! That alone would be worth the price of admission! Plus, are all of you TOYota s sure that the NA MKIVs had the same block as the 2JZs (i.e.; NO extra webbing/reinforcement at all on the 2JZs??). I seriously doubt the NA cars have complete forged internals. Somehow I feel that TOYota did not want/plan to lose that much money on these things!

Quick Reply: LSx in a '94 Supra?