Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 or LT1 in a 1978 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 or LT1 in a 1978 Trans Am

Just wondering how much it would run me (aprox...) to install a hybrid kit to run an ls1 or an lt1 in a 78 trans am. Would this be fairly simple to do or will I be having tons of problems.

Edit: Also, what parts would I need for the conversion?
Old 03-05-2006, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Ask me again in about a month. (I'm working on an LS1 into a '78 t/a). Actually, for the most part I think I've got the majority sorted out. Right now I'm plowing through all the suspension upgrades I want to make.

I'd say first start with the stickey on the 69 camaro conversion - much of the info is the same or similar. You might also want to check out a couple sites from guys that have already completed (or at least mostly) their conversions.

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mec2...p/firebird.htm

And a thread that he wrote on the topic:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/131175-ls1-2nd-gen-camaro-help-needed.html

And here's a link with some links to other threads:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/409182-1st-gen-camaro-ls1-t56-swap-what-do-i-need.html

And another guy that has done it:

http://www.tynic.com/81ls1ta/81ls1ta.htm

Note that his page on the clutch mounting (T56) is really good with lots of good pictures.

As for how much it costs ... well, one place to start on that is the first guy's site that I pointed you at. He's got a page that describes all the parts he needed and the prices. It also depends on whether you're doing the work yourself or having someone else do it.

But whatever number you come to, you probably want to double it, or at least multiple by 1.5.

By-and-large, from what I gather it's surpringly "plug-and-play" in large part because the car is designed to also take a small block chevy. The hard parts are the electronics and the fuel.

Very short version of parts, and it's late at night so I may be missing stuff:

"engine dropout": includes wiring harness, MAF sensor, computer, clutch master&slave (T56), and obviously the engine and transmission. You'll probably also want the radiator and cooling fans from the donor - it's easier than adapting to the 2nd gen (though it's possible). You might also want to snag the fuel tank so you can rip the fuel pump out and put it in your 2nd gen tank.

Beyond that you'll need engine mount plates, engine mounts, xmission cross-member, a plate to mount the clutch cylinder and you'll likely need a notched oil pan. Oh and you're going to need a way to drive your speedo and tach. The 2 main options are a mechanical connection to the transmission or using a converter box that takes the electronic signals and uses them to drive a mechanical link.

You'll also need to figure out what you're doing with a/c (if you have a/c in your car now).

The engine dropout can be had for anywhere between $3K and $5K depending on miles, year of engine ('01 and '02 run more due to some improvements) and the T56 usually runs a little higher. Mine was $4800, but it's an '01 with only 15K miles on it.

For the parts beyond the engine dropout I'm figuring are on the order of $2K. But that depends on what parts you decide on and how much you can do yourself.

If someone else is doing the install, you'll have to find out their labor costs.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Teching In

This convertion is fairly simple. I installed a LS1 into a 79 Camaro. I used Trans Dap motor mounts, (if using a 4L60E) mount gets moved about 2 in" back. Most LS1 headers will fit with minor tweacking. Need a good computer and harness. Most harnesses are 4 wire hook up. Drive shaft will need to be cut. Several other accessories will need to be purchased. This can cost you about 9 thousand dollars. Not bad for a mid 12 second car.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing what my sig says. I am in college and so money is SUPER tight.....search and search some more, do most of the work yourself and settle for less when you have to. The KISS principle can also keep the costs down. Go to my homepage and see what I have done so far. I will post new pics soon

Last edited by Schitzo; 03-05-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: LS1 or LT1 in a 1978 Trans Am