Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gen headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2nd gen headers

I am putting a ls1 and t56 into my 72 camaro and was wondering what everyone does for headers? I would like to find a long tube, but I would be ok with a shorty. What does everyone use? Thanks, Josh
Old 03-27-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search....there have been numerous threads on this.
Edelbrock victor series race headers for 98-02 f-bodies will fit with some massaging.
I am also doing the same swap on my 71....how far are you on yours....what are you using for mounts?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe ATS's headers are supposed to fit with the 2nd gens. If you've got the $$, that's probably the best way to go.

One guy was able to do a little tweaking on some edelbroch victor series LT's and got them to work. At least one or 2 others did some tweaking on pacesetter LT's.

Then there's a recent thread about hooker headers that work on the 1st gens. Those probably would work on the 2nd gens also, but I don't think anyone has tried it.

Any shorty header would work.

SLP has a header they say works. When I called them they said they were mid-length, though I've heard others refer to them as shorties. Not sure if they're talking about the same headers though ...

I'm still not sure what I'm doing with my 78 t/a. My biggest problem is CA smog. Technically I can't put LT's on. If I do go the LT route, I'll probably either see if I can tweak some QTP's to fit, or see if the Hookers will fit. OW I'm not going to bother (i.e., I'm not getting shorties) because I have an '01 motor which flows just about as well as with shorties.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Teching In

I would be interested to see which headers you all use. Additionally, what are you all using for motor mounts? I have a '75 Camaro front subframe in my Studebaker pickup, and need to figure out motor mounts.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

After fretting over the motor mount decision for quite a while, I finally decided on the ATS mounts. These things look like they're really top-quality products. I haven't installed them yet, but I know that Tyler (at ATS) just finished a 2nd gen camaro install using those mounts and said it worked beautifully. Note also that ATS is a sponsor.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nautiboy
After fretting over the motor mount decision for quite a while, I finally decided on the ATS mounts. These things look like they're really top-quality products. I haven't installed them yet, but I know that Tyler (at ATS) just finished a 2nd gen camaro install using those mounts and said it worked beautifully. Note also that ATS is a sponsor.
Note that the ATS used the Y-body accessories when they designed their plates. I am not sure but there might be alt clearance issues if you use the F-body accessories.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Teching In

What's a Y-Body? Sometimes I feel like I don't know anything, been away from the car thing for quite some time.

I want to use plates (probably the plates that move the motor 1" further back), with the Camaro brackets that bolt to the motor, and the Camaro rubber mounts (clamshell) that bolt to the subframe (with the long bolt that goes through the two mounts). It would be using the stock gen 2 camaro motor mounts with the LS motor adapter plates.

Will it work? I am purchasing a truck oil pan to clear the crossmember.

Thanks for any help. Keith
Old 03-29-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

If memory serves, the Corvette is the Y-Body.........
Old 03-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Teching In

I used a set of pace setters in my 79 camaro. You need to aim the collector away from the frame and weld them on.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Schitzo
Note that the ATS used the Y-body accessories when they designed their plates. I am not sure but there might be alt clearance issues.
Are you sure about the y-body? I thought Tyler first designed it when he was doing his 68 (69?) camaro conversion. Hopefully Tyler will chime in.

EDIT: I read your first post too fast. You said y-body *accessories*. I thought you were saying he designed it for a y-body car. D'Oh! Yeah, he might've been using a 'vette engine.

In any case, like I said - Tyler just did a 70 (maybe it was 73, I forget) camaro and said the plates worked well and had no clearance issues.

EDIT: But he didn't say which accessory setup ... so ... I dunno. Tyler?

I want to use plates (probably the plates that move the motor 1" further back), with the Camaro brackets that bolt to the motor, and the Camaro rubber mounts (clamshell) that bolt to the subframe (with the long bolt that goes through the two mounts). It would be using the stock gen 2 camaro motor mounts with the LS motor adapter plates.
That's pretty much exactly what the ATS setup is, except the mounts that ATS sells are polyurethance instead of rubber. But of course you don't need to get them from ATS if you don't want poly.

FYI, here's a picture of the ATS setup:

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/Am...pecialties.htm
Old 03-29-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 79camarols1
I used a set of pace setters in my 79 camaro. You need to aim the collector away from the frame and weld them on.
Do you have pics of your setup, if so could you please post them thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nautiboy
[i]EDIT: But he didn't say which accessory setup ... so ... I dunno. Tyler?

Pmed you
Old 03-29-2006, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

I just noticed that my previous post was post # 100. Woohoo! Although I have a long way to go to catch up with Nine Ball.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Default 2nd gen ls1 headers

I recently did A LS1 swap into a 1969 Camaro and Used A set of headers made by Schonfeld (Possibly spelled incorrectly). These were actually made for A 2nd gen Camaro but Since I had a Rack on my car (Front steer) they fit fine. I Paid 230 for them shipped. There not coated and not the Best engineered header but they are definately worth 230 dollars. I had no fitment issues other than kinda tight on the plug wires.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default headers

Where did you order these headers from?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Schitzo
Do you have pics of your setup, if so could you please post them thanks
just posted some under 79 Camaro w/LS1

Quick Reply: 2nd gen headers