Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 Lq9 into 68 sbrc

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also I used these motor mounts that why I think my problem is it's the engine tower's that get in the way I used the original only I moved them back a hole that was there already I guess for bbc engines. http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...cks/CPLS1K.htm
Old 10-02-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I took a crap-ton of pictures on my project - in one of them you can see the ECE mount kit (the block half/plate) mounted to the block, the holes I used...and also see the stock holes on the framerail I used for the other half. I took tons of pictures for future reference by others. Not sure if any of that helps...

I believe the ECE kit is essentially just doing the same thing as the CPP kit. I just bought from ECE b/c I think they make a better quality, everything-is-included product. CPP's product looks like the plates that S&P sells.

Using stock framerail location and the same block mounting point as the stock LS1 mounts, I had no issues with the 98-00 stock headers fitting. Give them a shot. There are so many for sale in the "for sale" section on a regular basis it's not funny. I would look locally though - the real killer is paying shipping (they weigh a ton).
Old 10-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Launching!

thanks shifty great info.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One other thing - check this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/460521-question-hacking-stock-98-02-manifold.html

Be sure to read it, click on pics links inside the thread for pictures of the 01-02 stock manifolds - maybe it matches your problem with where they hit the mounts?

At the very end is a direct link to a post in my buildup showing the fitment of the 98-00 stock manifolds. The only thing that sucks about using the 98-00 model stock ones is you gotta fab pieces to cap off the EGR and AIR pump stuff (3 pieces), or buy them online for $25 or so. But, the money saved on them ($50 for both vs. $400+ for aftermarket that may not fit) is worth it just to get up and running for now.

I plan on running open-ended (just a 3" downtube) for my first couple of months. No emissions here on this old of a truck, and I won't be driving it much till the security, interior, 1pc power windows and other crap is in place.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Thanks shifty I read the whole thread and threads inside very helpfull I wish I could of read it before . Oh well we learn from our mistakes lol.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's something else for you.

Rather than shop at Summit Racing online, I decided to call in sick for the first 4 hours of the day yesterday and drive down there (I'm such an *******!)

Summit makes headers...I took a photo of one set that looked like it would tuck and fit really well in our trucks, but ... Take that with a grain of salt. They were made for a 5.7L 1996-1999 C/K 1500/2500 truck. PRice was $153. Part # was SUM-G9016

Here is a link to them:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

They use a ball-flange or whatever the rounded tip flange thingy is called. I think they would clear the mount, my only concern would be that they would tap the framerail. I might head down there at some point after the truck is running, and ask to test fit one on the truck in the parking lot (no idea if they will let me or not!)
Old 10-06-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

shifty those headers ant for a lsx based engine... i have edelbroke shorty headers ( look real similar) and they hit the frame rail... look on the first page on my build up thread and there is a picture of them installed (somone elses truck).
Old 10-06-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I couldn't pull them off and inspect the flange closely. I figured it was for TBI or similar based on the year, but ....

I guess the major point is that Summit makes headers inexpensively that are CARB certified and there are some for the LSx engines that could work.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Update I haveto grt different engine towers that's the only way..
Old 10-30-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you going with the S&P towers?

I have my original engine mounts for the 2001 Camaro if you wanted to make something of your own. There is a post about how to do this over at the truck forum. I guess I could find it, but ... I think - don't quote me on this - but I think it is given in the FAQ forum (at 67-72chevytrucks). I would go into the FAQ forum, then click on the thread for "FAQ" index that member 'krue' made, and search that index page for "mount" or other similar words to try and find it.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Lq9 into 68 sbrc