Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mount--Really??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Motor Mount--Really??

I find this very odd indeed, so thought I'd ask. I have an '01 LS1 (F body). The long motor mount bolt on the passenger side cannot be removed without un-bolting the motor mount from the block. If the bolt head faces the rear, the bolt hits the dip stick tube, and cannot be removed. If the bolt head faces forward, it runs into the A/C compressor mount, and again, it cannot be removed. This is a real PITA when installing and removing the motor when using the stock motor mounts. So, am I missing something obvious here? Chevy designed it this way? The driver's side motor mount bolt can be removed without running into anything.

Andy1
Old 04-25-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/492703-best-poly-motor-mount-write-up-ever-written.html

Decent write up man, I know that you have to move the A/C compressor out of the way to get to it.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be over simplifying things, but the dipstick tube is real easy to remove. Can you just pull it out of there and then get the motor mount bolt out?

Pat
Old 04-25-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
This may be over simplifying things, but the dipstick tube is real easy to remove. Can you just pull it out of there and then get the motor mount bolt out?

Pat
Pat,

That's the sort of info I was after; thanks!

I have a bolt-in crossmember, yet I couldn't remove and install it onto the motor without removing the one motor mount. I suppose I was venting a bit, since it's inconceivable to me that someone would actually design something that way. That's the down-side of being an Engineer.

Andy1
Old 04-25-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

from the factory, the motor mount bolts go in from the front, with the nut on the rear.

on a Fbody:
to remove the drivers side one, you must remove the alternator.
to remove the passenger side one, you must remove the AC compressor.

edit:
keep in mind, GM didnt require the engine mount bolts to be easily removed without the "extra work" of removing other parts, since its not considered to be a common thing to do....
Old 04-25-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

One bolt and the dip stick pulls out with ease.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy1
Pat,
it's inconceivable to me that someone would actually design something that way. That's the down-side of being an Engineer.

Andy1

you dont have to be an engineer to see some of the stupid things they did.. I'm going to have to lift the motor a few inches to get to the alternator terminal to get the wire hooked up.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
you dont have to be an engineer to see some of the stupid things they did.. I'm going to have to lift the motor a few inches to get to the alternator terminal to get the wire hooked up.
Why don't you just unbolt the Alternator, pull it out where you can get at the terminal, then fasten the wire and bolt the alternator back up? This assumes that your wire is long enough to do that, or that you have not hooked up the other end of it to where ever you plan to do it. I only suggest this because it is exactly what I did when I hooked mine up.

Pat
Old 04-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Teching In

They don't design them for ease to work on my mother has an Old's that I had to remove the motor mount to change the belt ...............go figure
Old 04-26-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

vans are the worst.. so difficult to do the STUPIDEST things.. and you can forget about doing a head gasket in anything less than a weekend. Stu, thanks for suggestion, i'll try that.
olly

Quick Reply: Motor Mount--Really??